hid install - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hid install
Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:37 AM
I ordered a notto hid kit from carid.com. I have literally no idea what I'm doing with hooking this up. The sight says its a plug and play but I'm reading on some other posts about a harness or something. I really need a step by step instruction on this so if anyone that reads this is willing to do that I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 2003 cavy.

Re: hid install
Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:53 AM
If it comes with a relay harness, you should just have to plug the connector into your stock headlight plug.

You will also have to run a power and ground to the relay.

You will also have to plug the HID ballast into the relay harness, and then into the bulb.

There will also be a small plug fom the relay harness that goes directly to the bulb or the high/low function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:54 AM

Monday, January 17, 2011 11:05 AM
Okay how am I spose to hook up a power and ground I dont see any spot were it would connect to the ballast or anything
Monday, January 17, 2011 11:13 AM
using the harness IF it comes with one.

Monday, January 17, 2011 3:01 PM
Okay so I'm positive now I need a harness but im sure it cant be any harness is it vehicle specific? And do I need one for each bulb? Thanks
Monday, January 17, 2011 5:57 PM
it is bulb specific. for a 2003 cav, you will need to order a 9007 relay harness. usually one per car, but some are one per side, so two for the car. depends on the manufacturer.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:23 PM
Did you ever resolve this? I have the exact same kit from CarID, and the relay harness doesn't really improve anything.

Here's a slightly detailed list of whats going on with my Cav (2004, Sedan LS)

1) My DRL's are disabled per the instructions here. I don't get a service light or anything, the DRL disable works perfectly.

2) The Low's work fine, but when you switch to HI both headlights go out. These are true Bi-Xenon, and the focus changes through a little electromagnet that changes the spot of the filament that's ignited. I tried re-pinning the leads that go from the car's OEM harness to the ballasts, and this corrected the problem slightly. The issue at this point that the lights would properly switch between high and low, but they were opposite. One High and One Low, and when you switched between high and low using the signal lever, the High / Low config on the bulbs would just swap.

I'm currently waiting on a replacement ballast from CarID, since one of mine went bad after about 30 minutes of use, but I can take detailed pictures of any of the connectors if you'd like me too.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:24 PM
Although I cant stand DDM tuning's customer service or quality, they had a fairly generic yet easy to follow instruction guide on their site. Maybe you can use the same wiring instructions as I did with mine. Though I have yet to use mine at all since the relay fried and DDM refused to replace it, even after only TWO DAYS of having it and spending $100 on the kit. Dont buy DDM, FYI lol

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=1&nav=0,1

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:51 PM
Well... i got my replacement ballast today, and after 3 hours of wiring, re-wiring, and a fair amount of head-scratching, I think that this kit just doesn't work with the 03+ wiring setup. It comes with a relay harness, and this keeps the HID's running at the full 35W all the time, but I cant get the Hi/Lo switching to work for the life of me. If I wire them without the relay harness, the HI/Lo switching appears to work, but its not actually the bulbs switching their focus, its the ballasts being under-powered in the LOW setting and dimming the bulbs just slightly. Nowhere near enough to be mistaken for the switch between Hi and Lo, but noticeable if you're paying close attention. When wired with the relay harness, they stay the same whether in the Hi or Lo position. Both lightbulbs are stuck on HI constantly, I discovered this by disconnecting the HI/LO wires, and they drop into low while disconnected, but stay in Hi when connected no matter what the car's headlight switch is telling them to do. I'm going to give CarID a call tomorrow to see if they can shed any light on this issue, but currently I'm thinking that they are going to go back to CarID and I'll try a DDM kit.

Any help would be appreciated!
Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:07 AM
I got my replacement ballast today, and had time to sit down and play with my HID kit until I could get it to work right.

Here's how to get the Notto SE 9007 Bi-Xenon kit to work perfectly in your 03+ Cavalier. (mine is an 04 Sedan LS)
Link to kit: http://www.carid.com/2004-chevy-cavalier-xenon-hid/notto-hid-kit-342713.html

--Disclaimer--
Following these steps is what made this kit work in my car! I don't guarantee that it will make yours work, or that you wont damage any of the wiring or electronics in your car! I accept ZERO responsibility for any damage that may be caused by following this quick-fix!!!!
Also, please install your HID lightbulbs into aftermarket or custom made projector housings, or find a way to modify your stock housings!!! HID's inside of the stock housings blind oncoming drivers!!!

1) Before you even attempt to hook up the HID kit, have your DRL disable finished. The low power of the DRL circuit will short out the Ballasts. (or at least it did for me.)
Link to DRL Disable: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=7&i=326113&t=326113

2) On the harness that goes in between the stock headlight 9007 socket and the ballast, look for a black heat-shrink-wrapped item. Cut the heatshrink off, but do not damage anything under it. Under there will be a diode sitting in a socket that allows you to just pull the diode out. Pull it out, making note of the silver banded end of the diode and which wire (red or black) that its connected too. Re-install the diode in the REVERSED position, so that the Silver banded side of it is not opposite the side it originally was.

Now wire your kit up to according to the manufacturer's instructions, and enjoy your new HID set-up.

The Reason you have to reverse the diode is that most cars switch the Positive wire that the headlamp uses to switch between HI and LOW. The 03+ cavaliers, for whatever reason use a switched ground to accomplish their HI/LOW switch.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search