$50 paint job - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: $50 paint job
Monday, July 13, 2009 7:49 PM
wow calm down....wojo works in a body shop, so everything gets done the right way. i dont think he was shaming your work, just wondering why you didnt pull everything off like most people and professional paint shops do. for a winter car that doesnt matter if it gets smashed its no big deal to leave the stuff on, really. on another note moar pix.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:58 AM
haha. snow. salt. lol. i live in montana. ive seen more snow and salt than you ever have. its called wash your car once a week during the snow season and you have no problems.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:02 PM
what part of Montana? my room mate used to live there

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:04 PM
....that part of montana where its ok for 2 grown men to make pillow forts and have tickle fights.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:21 PM
i worked in a paint shop, as long as you allow for "some" over spray into these areas usually it will be ok..... plus just the reg dirt and grime from summer and spring driving can be worse then the salty winter roads....
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:38 PM
Ok.. here's where we are going to differ..

Our race cars in the hornet series where you can't mod stuff are the perfect example. We snuck this by for years and might still be! (wink-wink)

We pulled the heads, and port matched, ported and 3 angled the valves. We welded a few cc's on top the pistons. Used my lovely CTS trick I developed while working on the HP Tuners stuff. Crushed the FPR to increase the fuel pressure. Ground out the stock exhaust till it was thinner than header tubing, and stuck in a chip I modded (homespun - probably a cardinal sin to the pro's!) Stuck in 1.6:1 rockers that were designed for another engine.

What would any professional engine builder say to that stuff?? Doesn't matter - we have trophies!

The proof is in the pudding. You can say it wont work, its not right, its not professional or whatever. The pics prove you wrong

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:56 PM
RoboGeek wrote:Ok.. here's where we are going to differ..

Our race cars in the hornet series where you can't mod stuff are the perfect example. We snuck this by for years and might still be! (wink-wink)

We pulled the heads, and port matched, ported and 3 angled the valves. We welded a few cc's on top the pistons. Used my lovely CTS trick I developed while working on the HP Tuners stuff. Crushed the FPR to increase the fuel pressure. Ground out the stock exhaust till it was thinner than header tubing, and stuck in a chip I modded (homespun - probably a cardinal sin to the pro's!) Stuck in 1.6:1 rockers that were designed for another engine.

What would any professional engine builder say to that stuff?? Doesn't matter - we have trophies!

The proof is in the pudding. You can say it wont work, its not right, its not professional or whatever. The pics prove you wrong

CHEATER!!!!

lol

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:19 PM
and that has to do with what??? and i live in great falls

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:27 PM
is that near billings?

Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:44 PM
quote from the rolledon forums..

Quote:

HI all -

This weekend is the Car Craft Summer Nationals in St. Paul, MN. and Rustoleum is there showing off their new line of engine paint and other car paints. We told them about our paint job being done with Rustoleum and needless to say they were intrigued and excited. They came by and took our picture and picture with our car. They nick named it "The car that will never rust". Pictures will be posted soon on their website so check they out if you want!

They also mentioned that if you painted your car with Rustoleum you can send your picture into them and they will post it on their website.

and for those who insist on a full size shot - here it is with the serial number number test (if you can read the s/n of a bill, its a good paint job). This is after wet sanding and prior to rubbing out

horrible, horrible $50 paint job! I should be ashamed... lmao!!!

Sunday, July 19, 2009 1:20 PM

thats my $50 paint job, but it was sprayed on. the door wasn't wet sanded in the picture and in the picture of the light reflection you can see the difference between the wet sanded and non wet sanded areas.
yours looks good. nice to see another budget paint job come out good.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 1:21 PM

thats my $50 paint job, but it was sprayed on. the door wasn't wet sanded in the picture and in the picture of the light reflection you can see the difference between the wet sanded and non wet sanded areas.
yours looks good. nice to see another budget paint job come out good.
Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:29 PM
this stuff def does the trick! i plan on doing one of these over the winter on my roomie's 78 cj5

Sunday, July 19, 2009 3:44 PM
spraying it on is even cheaper if you have the guns and compressor already. I have a selection of both - shop compressor and a homebuilt one I use for airbrushes.

The thing rolling is bypassing is the expense of the spray gear if you don't have it, and the work covering all the surfaces from overspray - including our garages that we store stuff in!!
Not everybody can build a spray booth to paint. And many people want to paint their own cars.

Sure, there are many people that build their cars by farming them out to an engine shop, a body shop, a chassis shop, etc. Thats fine for them. Pretty show car your afraid to drive because of what you spent on it .
There is also a hardcore group that won't let anyone touch their car unless they have no other choice. They are proud of their work, and will drive it till it dies.

Ask me what I respect more - a $50 paint job that looks good, that the guy spent hours perfecting, or the $2500 job someone sent to the shop to get painted

Funny thing is back when we ran real cars we had an insult we called the showy cars - we called them 'paint job'. "Hey paint job - wanna race!!"

Monday, July 20, 2009 12:10 AM
RoboGeek wrote:quote from the rolledon forums..

Quote:

HI all -

This weekend is the Car Craft Summer Nationals in St. Paul, MN. and Rustoleum is there showing off their new line of engine paint and other car paints. We told them about our paint job being done with Rustoleum and needless to say they were intrigued and excited. They came by and took our picture and picture with our car. They nick named it "The car that will never rust". Pictures will be posted soon on their website so check they out if you want!

They also mentioned that if you painted your car with Rustoleum you can send your picture into them and they will post it on their website.

and for those who insist on a full size shot - here it is with the serial number number test (if you can read the s/n of a bill, its a good paint job). This is after wet sanding and prior to rubbing out

horrible, horrible $50 paint job! I should be ashamed... lmao!!!

hey im missing a 10...

no serious got any contact info for that website? give it another week and mine will be done

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:49 AM
Well done!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:50 PM
I washed it finally (still need to rub it out and wax).

Thought this pic looked kinda cool because you can see the flag in the window and the paint..

I might post a pic again after I finish the darn thing, but my shop is swamped with work right now - I can barely take time to eat

And yes, I know the house needs paint!!! Think it would look good bright yellow?? lmao!

Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:12 PM
wow turned out great

Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:14 PM
Nice job robogeek

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:28 PM
Did turn out great. Mind posting 1 or 2 of the whole car?

And as for the house, some people pay money to have their belongings look old or weathered. Some people decorate the exteriors of their houses to look like that. =P No sarcasm either lol.
Friday, July 24, 2009 8:10 AM
Bravo

That turned out WICKED

I would do that on one of my cars ANY day of the week.

good job man, i am really impressed!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:47 PM
Nice red paint job. I was thinking of doing mine in the smoke gray or aluminum color. What got me interested in this was a video on youtube of a guy with a honda ef sedan in a smoke gray. I have the link here if anyone wants to take a look at it. Even though its a honda in vid, I sstill think it would look good on a cavy or sunfire. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceiwy9cDEdA
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:04 PM
This is getting done to me and my friends beater when we find one.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:26 PM
Just a quick update...

Rustoleum is featuring my car and others painted this way.

I still haven't rubbed it out, but it looks good even without!

the pics on Rustoleums site will be here

I think I have a sweet winter beater now!!!

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:02 PM
RoboGeek wrote:Just a quick update...

Rustoleum is featuring my car and others painted this way.

I still haven't rubbed it out, but it looks good even without!

the pics on Rustoleums site will be here

I think I have a sweet winter beater now!!!

Robo, that red paint job is looking very nice. Just to give you an edit with the link, the real link is http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgcommunity.asp?m=cat&cc=AUTO just in case those who click the link wonder how did i get to facebook?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search