$50 paint job - Page 3 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: $50 paint job
Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:24 PM
it works for me.. probably cuz I'm signed in

direct link to the site:

http://www.rustoleum.com/mybaby

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:47 AM
so how many total hours did you put into this now that its done?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, July 31, 2009 2:30 PM
actual time less than 40 I'm sure - but it took weeks to do. (thats including the rust repair)

I screwed up experimenting too and had to wet sand off a few coats.

Its actually not finished - I haven't rubbed it out yet, or waxed it. I figure a few more hours for that...

Doing this kind of paint job works, but you trade sweat equity for speed. You get a lot more orange peel than if you spray, so you have to do a ton of sanding. But I think the pics speak for themselves...

btw.. the car got nailed with hail and a big ol' branch from a house across the street. It didn't even scratch it, and it really got slammed

I have the beginning to end of the project on facebook

not sure if you can see it, but PM me your info and I'll add you as a friend if you want to see them. Once you see what I started with, you'll really be impressed!! lol

Friday, July 31, 2009 8:14 PM
Any idea how this would work with flat paint? Can you wet sand flat paint and have it remain flat? Im kinda paintarded.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 7:32 PM
TheSundownFire wrote:Any idea how this would work with flat paint? Can you wet sand flat paint and have it remain flat? Im kinda paintarded.

Flat sheens would remain flat no matter how many layers you would put on. For something like this project, using a flat base paint would be good if you don't like the heavy shine. The bad part though is your car wouldn't stand out unless you had some other ideas like designs or something like that. Some colors in flat also would look like primer. Also, what most people prefer from what I have seen are mostly the brighter colors like orange, red, and even sometimes people do the smoke gray or "egg shell" white (sand color) but in the glossy side to make the car stand out. It's mainly to the person's taste as to what they want.
Monday, August 03, 2009 5:23 AM
RoboGeek wrote:actual time less than 40 I'm sure - but it took weeks to do. (thats including the rust repair)

I screwed up experimenting too and had to wet sand off a few coats.

Its actually not finished - I haven't rubbed it out yet, or waxed it. I figure a few more hours for that...

Doing this kind of paint job works, but you trade sweat equity for speed. You get a lot more orange peel than if you spray, so you have to do a ton of sanding. But I think the pics speak for themselves...

btw.. the car got nailed with hail and a big ol' branch from a house across the street. It didn't even scratch it, and it really got slammed

I have the beginning to end of the project on facebook

not sure if you can see it, but PM me your info and I'll add you as a friend if you want to see them. Once you see what I started with, you'll really be impressed!! lol

i should come pay you to come wetsand my car next time its painted, i know we have over 40 hours in it just in wetsanding the clear. dont know how the hell you can sand each layer and still only have 40 hours into it. my arms and fingers would be raw and wore out lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, August 03, 2009 12:31 PM
I wetsanded between every 2 coats - not super good because I was still just building thickness. That took about 1.5 hrs max. I cheated on a few layers with an air sander with 800 grit when I experimented with the mixture and got horrible orange peel - so the majority was of the sand time was the final wet sand.

Remember - less than half the car was painted, so I only had to worry about the top half. The bottom is spray bombed semi-gloss black (not wet sanded) and I didn't touch the bumpers or trim. Just having a few big flat surfaces really made it easy. Doing this on a 3rg gen would take about double the time I'd guess, if not more. Fortunately 2nd gens are mostly flat

Monday, August 03, 2009 12:33 PM
oh okay i had thought it was the entire car. that would cut your time down allot.

Monday, August 03, 2009 1:02 PM
RoboGeek wrote:I . Doing this on a 3rg gen would take about double the time

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:05 AM
Finally got around to rubbing it out and waxing it...

side view

ugly dude reflecting in the pretty paint

clouds reflecting off the hood

can reflection..

I think its ready for winter now!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:07 AM
That is awesome come do my slowdance lol

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:02 PM
wow,very nice.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:20 PM
Chris (RoboGeek), nice to see you after all these years of not seeing you. lol
Glad you're still around man and not sure if you remember me but I'm sure you do.
Give me a PM sometime man and I'll give you a holler via phone.

Oh and nice paint job on the Cavy man.
Nice to see some home remedies that are cheap but also look good.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:57 PM
of course I remember you.. still have catalogs too

Boy.. all the old farts are coming out of the closet lately..

Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:19 PM
RoboGeek wrote:Finally got around to rubbing it out and waxing it...

side view

ugly dude reflecting in the pretty paint

clouds reflecting off the hood

can reflection..

I think its ready for winter now!

(goes into kitchen and gets a napkin to wipe the drool off his chin) I like what I see! Seriously thinking of doing mine now with either aluminum or smoke gray.... but after seeing red, idk. What do you guys think is the better color for 3gens? Hate the stock sand look.
Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:27 PM
Ughh, I hate that sandstone color on any car.
Go with the red.

Chris, good to still see you kicking it around man.
This old timer is still working on the Cavy since we've last talked. lol
I guess I'll never get it finished but it's coming along nicely.

Good to hear from you and to know you're still rocking a Cavy.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:54 PM
2 cav's still actually.. lol

This car is actually much faster than the 3rd gen, and now it looks better. Not sure why its the beater car.. hehe

fyi - red is one of the harder colors to paint and get looking even. You need more coats than other colors. Not sure why, but everybody has experienced it

Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:42 PM
Yeah, red paint (be it car paint, house interior/exterior paint, etc) always takes more coats to get the red to truly be red. I'm not sure why, myself - undercoats just seem better able to show through red (perhaps it's due to the wavelength of light that's reflected back?).

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 10:38 AM
OP did you ever fix the line and finish? or did you just quit half way through with your car looking like crap.

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 1:02 PM
I was the OP in this thread - your thinking of this one...

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=7&i=374488&t=374488

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:01 PM
Hi kiddies! Thought some might be interested in the paint job after a year..

still a darn nice looking $500 winter beater!!

And still much faster then my 2002!!

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:28 PM
*thumbs up*

Looks awesome! My nephew has started working on his '97 Sunfire in the last few days, same idea, his may end up being a pretty nice blue color. =] We'll see! And depending how it turns out, maybe I'll let him do my car! LOL! It needs some massive paint work done to it, sheesh.

Looks awesome, I'm going to forward him this thread. =]

Thursday, April 01, 2010 2:44 PM
I'm gonna try to catch the moon in it tonight, if it stays clear enough - I had a great sunset image right after I painted it, but the low light made the camera look unfocused. The paint hasn't changed at all.. close up still looks as good as it did last year. But I've discovered that Meguiars detailing stuff - especially the clay, really brings out something in the paint.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:15 PM
um, i painted my car with this stuff a couple days ago, and just saw this post. do you have problems with bird@!#$ staining your paint? because i just went outside and saw a fat pile of bird@!#$ and when i wiped it, it left a nice brown stain that i cant get to come off. any ideas? or am i just @!#$ outa luck?
Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:49 PM
braxton baker wrote:um, i painted my car with this stuff a couple days ago, and just saw this post. do you have problems with bird@!#$ staining your paint? because i just went outside and saw a fat pile of bird@!#$ and when i wiped it, it left a nice brown stain that i cant get to come off. any ideas? or am i just @!#$ outa luck?

Try clay barring first
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search