What you got under the hood? - Page 7 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What you got under the hood?
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:06 PM
thats wat i want off right the crabby grey part then paint it

Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:46 AM
Yeah its just a layer of paint. it tends to chip after awhile and if you dont take it off then so will your new layer of paint
Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:50 PM
and if you want the grooves like in between the lines you just run a small wide tape in between and tape the letters and numbers.
Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:54 PM
UNOH Cavfire wrote:Yeah its just a layer of paint. it tends to chip after awhile and if you dont take it off then so will your new layer of paint

They came powder coated, and it's a BIIIIIITCH to get off.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:53 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:
UNOH Cavfire wrote:Yeah its just a layer of paint. it tends to chip after awhile and if you dont take it off then so will your new layer of paint

They came powder coated, and it's a BIIIIIITCH to get off.

True that! I used a wire wheel to take it off. and if you want the grooves on the idi cover to be shiny then just paint it and sand the paint on those parts only off. easiest way
Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:37 PM
trying to sand the grooves and they are a pain any ideas to make it be easyer?
Friday, July 29, 2011 8:34 PM
im not sure if aircraft paint remover would do it or not?
Friday, July 29, 2011 8:41 PM
Aircraft remover would be a decent idea to try. I sand blasted mine, and it took years.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, July 29, 2011 9:53 PM
where do i get aircraft remove from?
Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:03 PM
parts store

Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:16 PM
+1 on aircraft remover

also works good for removing paper gaskets

Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:11 PM
wipe it on or spray it on? and let it sit on there and watch how magic it takes off the paint
Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:15 PM
Deff let it sit there and watch the old paint start to blister and peel. Do not get it on your skin or it will burn really bad and you'll know it. then take a cloth or something and wipe off the paint
Monday, August 01, 2011 2:21 PM
I just used aircraft remover on my extra cover I've been working on, and I was amazed how well it worked... then I went off and got purple power on it and now the finish is ruined. Anyone know of anything that might reverse the effect of the purple power on aluminum other than going back and sanding it again?

Monday, August 01, 2011 2:53 PM
should the part be taped on the back side and prop it up right and then how long do you let it sit for?
Monday, August 01, 2011 3:30 PM
after spraying it with the aircraft remover? I didnt tape mine. and it only took like a minute for mine to start peeling the paint away. I would remover the idi cover from the coil housing, but if you dont take the cover off then you prolly should cover it with something.

Monday, August 01, 2011 6:50 PM
no before you know how you have the stuff under the idi cover and that black piece on the side.
Monday, August 01, 2011 6:53 PM
Pull the IDI cover off and then strip it down to just the cover. It's like 5 bolts and you're set. DON'T try to do it on the car or without removing everything from the cover.

Monday, August 01, 2011 7:09 PM
ok find rubber gloves and eye wear and cover the arms and put it the stuff on the cover wait mins and then wipe it off with a towel and would it get in between the grooves?
Monday, August 01, 2011 7:13 PM
Just follow the back of the bottle. Yes it will get into the grooves if you spread it into them. It'll take a couple applications but it'll all come off. A wire brush takes the paint off quite nicely after the remover has softened it.

Monday, August 01, 2011 8:47 PM
I see they have it in a spray can

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:29 PM

I think i need a little help lol any suggestions??

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:46 PM
car like that need a prettier engine than that, moar work sir!

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:50 PM
i agree lol but im only 16 ehhh. But i was wonderin if i could take off the head and powdercoat it and all the other rusted pieces. another question that big black piece over the motor is there anyway i can like change that lol i saw a engine earlier with a cold air intake there is this possible to do?

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:20 PM
polish/powder coat the intake plenum, valve cover , and alternator casing to start. Aftermarket mount, mice looking plug wires. Intake. Repaint / coat brackets. All that would be a good start.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search