Paint help! - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Paint help!
Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:47 PM
I purchased a touch-up kit from paintscratch and gave them my VIN and my color code(95, WA8867) and this touch-up paint doesn't match the ultra silver. Are there other silvers that would match the color of a 2000 cavalier?

Re: Paint help!
Friday, July 08, 2011 7:05 AM
take it to a shop man, i got the same thing and even bought the spray one and they dont match well at all first i got the pen/brush filler and then i tried the spray bottle, a little off but not quite the right shade

Modding my j since I found the org
Friday, July 08, 2011 11:34 AM
Rust-oleum makes spray cans for GM codes...found my white one in Autozone....matched perfectly

Friday, July 08, 2011 1:53 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:Rust-oleum makes spray cans for GM codes...found my white one in Autozone....matched perfectly

Oh Lord, really?

Wallzy, please, please, PLEASE, dont rattle can and spray bomb your car like this fool did

Friday, July 08, 2011 6:48 PM
I don't know what the beef is between you two, but I will say that there is a right way and a wrong way to everything. I am using spray paint on my bumper covers, door mouldings and side skirts(Yes, I said it. :O) as a temporary paint fix until I can have my car properly painted in Ultra Silver or have those parts professionally done in flat black. It's not the entire car, and I was using Paintscratch's kit to fix the PA paint chips in the hood(we use rocks in our salting up here, and it beats the hell out of the hood), and it matches at a certain angle, but most angles are too dark. I have learned that when in doubt, have it done at a shop.
Friday, July 08, 2011 9:18 PM
wallzy41 wrote: I have learned that when in doubt, have it done at a shop.

best statement ever

Friday, July 08, 2011 9:20 PM
Silver is hard to match plain and simple, even when the actual color is right. Any paint that has metallic flake in it will stand out against other panels if it's not blended. The difference in the orientation of the flake on the newly painted panel will make it look a different shade than previously painted panels. You can get metallics close to matching with spray on touch up paints, but always noticeable. And paint pens...no way

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:17 PM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:
95LsCoupe wrote:Rust-oleum makes spray cans for GM codes...found my white one in Autozone....matched perfectly

Oh Lord, really?

Wallzy, please, please, PLEASE, dont rattle can and spray bomb your car like this fool did

Becasue mine came out perfect? Painting is ALL prep work and skill. If you looked at my car now, you'd never know it was rattle canned. You've never seen my car in person so you wouldnt know. Don't talk about things you don't know about.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:33 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:

Oh Lord, really?

Becasue mine came out perfect?

even from your sig pic anyone can tell it's rattle canned, especially the top.

OP don't listen to this idiot. On colors like White, black, red etc... with no metalflake it's easier to get a good match. Now on silver cars like yours you won't get a match except with decent paint like Dupont or PPG. Go to a local paint store and have them look up your poaint code off the car, they might be able to mix up some paint and put it in a rattle can that will match alot better than the cans right off the shelf of your local walmart or autoparts store.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:46 AM
No rattlecan job will come out perfect...I tried it and it always looks decent from a distance but when you get up to it the secret is out. Although the project was fun

Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:02 AM
The top was messed up, but you can't even see the spot i painted on the fender....

Turned this.....

Into this....with rattle cans...and bondo

Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:21 AM
Have fun doing it all over again when all that bondo cracks out...

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:59 PM
it only cracks if you dont do it right, ive seen bondo last for 10 years +

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:34 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:The top was messed up, but you can't even see the spot i painted on the fender....

Turned this.....

Into this....with rattle cans...and bondo

And now where's the 5 week later pic with the clear completely faded and dull? Rattle can clear NEVER keeps it shine.

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:35 PM
Quick question: Did the 2000 Cavaliers come in Light Slate Metallic? I see 2 codes that both match my cavalier ATM. WA8867(Ultra Silver Metallic), 12C(Silver CC). However, the Ultra Silver is REALLY, REALLY off.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search