Painting my ls rims... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Painting my ls rims...
Monday, August 01, 2011 5:51 AM
So iv been thinking about it for a while and iv decided i do want to paint them since they are in kinda rough shape...but since they are alloy im not 100% on how i should go about doin this...i was thinking wax and grease remover, go over them with 400 and spray etching primer on them..then of course wet sand wash then spray (idk wat color)..btw i did search but only found pics and no how to

Re: Painting my ls rims...
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 2:38 PM
wax and grease remover, then wash with soap and water, then rinse clean, then sand with 600 at most, then wash and rinse again, then primer, then wet sand with 800, then wash and rinse again, then lay paint, then clear, then some 2000 grit wetsand, then wash and rinse again, then a good light couple coats of clear.

enjoy.

that's how i'd do it anyway if i was going to give it all the proper drying and curing times of course. but then again, that's not how i did it, cuz i'm super impatient and don't follow the instructions of professional work so........lol

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 3:18 PM
Just regular primer or self etching primer?
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:05 PM
I used regular primer on mine worked great

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:39 PM
rattle can or actual primer?? cuz i can do either
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:59 PM
do them a solid aluminum color with a nice center cap :]

do you have pics of them as they are now?

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:17 PM
They are already the polished alum. color..lol

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:20 PM
Btw dont let the pics fool you they are in rough shape, i had just washed them and the camera makes them look good..and to be honest i was thinkin the dark bronze color..the only set of painted ls rims iv seen are black SOOO i wanna do something different
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:55 PM
I used rattle can, if u have access to a professional gun and know how to lay paint use it. Otherwise rattle can will work, it's all in the prep

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:01 PM
yea, i go to school for auto collision repair..and i have access to it all but its just as easy to use rattle cans to me..but i was thinkin the dark bronze color similar to ur color
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 7:58 PM
Paint em with the gun and bake em. Your car will love you more for it. Not to mention, the paint will stay on longer...

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:03 PM
would i have to take the tires off? cuz i could squeeze them in the booth while we are baking but it does get around 150
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:05 PM
Could sumbody photoshop them bronze for me?? i just wanna see wat they could look like, cuz im still not 100% on bronze
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:14 PM
i want ur center caps i want the red bowties with cf background. On tire removal. No u can leave them, since cars go in the booth with tires on everyday.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:18 PM
Go with the bronze, u won't regret it

but then again I may be biased. If u do go bronze please post pics I've been dying to see some lss wheels bronze

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:19 PM
i love the front bumper and back bumper tail lights how did you get them blacken?
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:35 PM
Bluedriftcavy-thanx i had a blonde moment AND you got anything u wanna trade for them?? id let them go

Bluecavy-For sure and im kinda thinking maybe leave the inside charcoal with bronz face..not sure if i should leave the lip...

Adam-3 Coats of vht night shades..its like 11 bucks at O'reillys heres a pic of the WHOLE back peice painted

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 9:32 PM
wat year is your car? mine is a 97
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 9:38 PM
mines a 97.
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:00 PM
what color are the light bulbs in the darken tail lights on the bottom?
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:11 PM
on the bottom of the bumper are just reflectors..and i havnt sprayed them yet (havnt felt like taping them up)

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:13 PM
nice, looks like my car but you dont have rust by the gas tank door. is the inside stock?
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:23 PM
well it looks ALOT diff now cuz im doing body work, yea its stock except i painted my door panels
Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:02 PM
are the speakers covered or are they open in the front doors
Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:10 PM
covered but i upgraded to sony 6.5s
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search