Making 99 Sunfire Turn Signals Stay On Bright - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Making 99 Sunfire Turn Signals Stay On Bright
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:43 PM
I was wondering if on my 99 Sunfire GT is there any way to make the turn signals stay on the brighter setting? Like the way they look when the flashers go on? the reason im asking is i put clear bulbs in and i want to do the drl disable and use the turn signals as drls but with the white bulbs. Also where can you find clear side marker lenses cause ive got a bunch of red and amber LEDs that obviously are white/clear when theyre off and ive got tinted tails so i thought clear lenses and smoke them out with leds would look sexay!

Re: Making 99 Sunfire Turn Signals Stay On Bright
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:29 AM
I dont think you can keep them on the "brighter" setting. But here is some clear side markers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-2005-PONTIAC-SUNFIRE-ALL-CLEAR-BUMPER-SIDE-LIGHTS-/310339456171?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASunfire&hash=item4841ac4cab
Yes it says 00-05, but if you have a 99 GT it should work.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:13 PM
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:24 PM
the problem is getting them to flash correctly. Cars that do this control them differently. Im sure you could wire the brights to relayed battery power and have them cut out with flasher pulse doing it backward with a negative trigger relay setup.
Thursday, September 01, 2011 12:44 PM
Can't you simply reverse the wiring for the fillaments?
IE. Put the one 12V wire and connect it to where the other 12V wire is, and vice versa?

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:38 PM
Jay Corkit wrote:Can't you simply reverse the wiring for the fillaments?
IE. Put the one 12V wire and connect it to where the other 12V wire is, and vice versa?

I don't believe so. I am pretty sure that the way that they work is to have a single filament on all the time and the second one is the flash making it brighter. It wouldn't matter what wire is attached to the lead since the two are separate.

Thursday, September 01, 2011 2:35 PM
Well it would still flash with the dim filament...
But if you did, it would probably eventually melt the housing too because the 2nd filament is higher wattage

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:55 PM
ya after i wrote this i was thinking that having the brighter filament lit constantly would eventually melt the housing, the next idea is to buy wome white led strips and mount them in the headlights @the bottom of the housing and use the wiring from the signal lights to power them so they flash, and then just put some round fogs in the current signal light housings to use as drls? this would work no?
Friday, September 02, 2011 11:07 AM
I've seen a kit before that will do this, but if you have any electronic knowledge, it's not hard to do. The bulb should not get that hot. They're not that high wattage, even with both filaments lit. You will want to upgrade your flasher to a digital one, though, as it will flash very slow with more of a load on it.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 7:19 AM
Do the turn bulbs have to be amber color or can they be white?
Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:37 PM
adam wagner wrote:Do the turn bulbs have to be amber color or can they be white?
That depends on your local laws.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 5:03 PM
too bad those will not fit my 97 sunfire gt
Sunday, September 04, 2011 4:53 PM
mr quick i dont have a ton of electrical knowledge, hence i asked haha, i have the correct flasher i believe (used to have white leds in the turn signal lenses)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search