HID kit what to get - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HID kit what to get
Friday, August 05, 2011 9:35 PM
I have 2000-2002 oem style headlights with the racing style yellow headlight film on them. My cavalier was bought with the swap done from the 95-99 style headlights and whomever wired in the newer style bulbs must of messed something up because I've been going through $30 set of 9007 bulbs usually the passenger side I beleive so I figured I kill 2 birds with 1 stone ha and just invest into a decent HID kit and that way no more wiring problem and not buying another set of expensive headlight bulbs. Now I dont know much about HIDS so first do they come with bulbs? and are they hard to wire up? do they come with the turn signals or is that seperate? and are they worth it?

Re: HID kit what to get
Friday, August 05, 2011 11:28 PM
The headlights being replaced with hid's are not going to fix the initial problem. Get a new headlight harness from the yard to start with, and retrofit some projectors. Or find a way to kill glare in the stock housings.

With that said, I have a 35w 6k DDM raptor kit. Works great and unbeatable warranty.

Saturday, August 06, 2011 11:04 AM
glare is killed with my headlight protection film, and doesnt the wiring with the hid kit replace the stock wiring harness ?
Saturday, August 06, 2011 11:23 AM
Nope, they plug into the headlight sockets. And film is not gonna get rid of any glare. You will be blinding oncoming traffic.

Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:09 PM
Ok well I'm not getting different headlights so I guess I'm not getting a hid kit
Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:35 PM
My friend and I did a test with his OEM 00-02 headlights and my black aftermarket headlights. Results showed that his with the unpainted bottom reflector had lots of glare but the HID kit put in mine had NO GLARE and just a perfect line. See pic below.

What it boils down to is my HIDs in my black headlights with the painted bottom reflector have no glare and Ive never had other drivers flash their high beams at me. If you open your headlights paint the bottom black so you can have HIDs minus the glare. Hope this helps!

Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:37 PM
so your friend was still running a hid kit on his00-02 headlights?
Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:46 PM
jdm cav9 wrote:so your friend was still running a hid kit on his00-02 headlights?

No, the HID kit is mine. It came with these headlights below. We just tested the HIDs in his stock headlights.

Saturday, August 06, 2011 3:37 PM
jdm cav9 wrote:Ok well I'm not getting different headlights so I guess I'm not getting a hid kit

I don't think he said get new headlights, he said get a new harness for your headlights, and also retrofitting projectors into YOUR current headlight casings.
Saturday, August 06, 2011 7:53 PM
yea I know im gonna get new harness or just figure were something is wired wrong, and I want to get a hid kit but I cant take apart my headlights to paint I already have a thick hedlight protection film installed on them in a yellow color like the le mans race cars use. so I cant bake my headlights to take them apart to paint the insides.
Tuesday, August 09, 2011 3:36 PM
You cant peel it off?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:08 PM
i had an ebay 6000k but they flicker and the right ballast went out so i ordered a DDMtuning raptor kit 5000k 35w with mounting brackets and best quality and price ever!!!

i love my mini camaro
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:16 PM
00-02 headlights dont need to be baked. all you need is a sharp razor to cut in between the seems of the lens and the housing.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:48 PM
azncav wrote:00-02 headlights dont need to be baked. all you need is a sharp razor to cut in between the seems of the lens and the housing.
i used a butter knife to take mine apart lol

Monday, August 22, 2011 8:40 PM
huh maybe I will razor blade them open. I like that idea best thanx
Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:05 PM
i went with 55w ddm highs and lows and just going to do fogs next also mine flickerd real bad so i made some relay harnesses and they stopped and were brighter
Monday, August 29, 2011 4:35 PM
also...$30 for a set is damn expensive! you can get cheapo 9007's that are 'upgrades' from the factory ones for under $15 shipped...I know cause I have a pair of the "HID look a like" 9007s. They good for what i paid, but Im gonna do the 35w 6000k with the relays, harness, and hi/low 9007 kit. Def worth the $60+ on a good functional headlight setup...then again, I have a 2004 so i shouldnt have much of the glare problem, right?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, September 01, 2011 10:06 AM
Cheap fix: get a new headlight harness, get SilverStar Ultra bulbs.

HID upgrade: Get a Morimoto Bi-Xenon projector retrofit kit, cut your lights open, install projectors. Profit.

Your factory headlights are not going to perform properly with HIDs, no matter what you do to them. The reflector is not designed for it. Painting the bottom may cut down your clare, but it's not going to fix anything else. Also, if you buy a cheap HID kit, be prepared to replace those bulbs on a regular basis as well. They are made cheap, and the bulbs run too hot, shortening the life span.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search