High beams stopped working - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
High beams stopped working
Friday, August 26, 2011 9:45 PM
Posting while its happening... I left to see a friend tonight and once I got out of the road I went to switch from low to high, but high wasn't there. When switched from low to high it would go back to DRL's like the lights were being shut off. low beam still work fine, DRL's work but no high beams. Also no indicator light on the dash when switched to high. Anyone know of anything that would make this randomly happen? Would it be my blinker/cruise/light switch assembly, I believe it has been replaced before, box of parts that came with my car had one in it so I assume it has been swapped once before.

Re: High beams stopped working
Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:46 AM
I had the same problem and my head light switch actually was burnt out.
Saturday, August 27, 2011 7:59 PM
i had the same problem mine was a bad corrosion in the wiring harnes you can unplug a big oval harness under the battery box and cut off all the wire loom and tape so you have just the wiring. i took off my bumper cover and it was really easy. then check for three wires go together. i had two bad spots ill get some pics up when its daylight out to help
Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:15 AM
I'm really leaning more towards a headlight switch issue here... considering the fact that all of my lights still technically work, they just won't turn my brights on. Like I said its like the lights are shut off completely when the brights are on because the DRL's come back on. and also that the indicator light isn't on anymore.
Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:55 AM
yeah, it's the switch that's bad. seems to be a pretty common issue. i had that happen to me a few years back. replaced the switch with one i got from a salvage yard and it worked fine. it's really easy to replace too.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:19 PM
Well I changed out the switch with a JY one and its still doing the same thing, dims work, brights go back to DRL's... I have checked fuses, one was blown but it was the cig lighter fuse that doesn't tie into my headlights does it? I think that issue came from a bad phone charger I was using.
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:30 PM
Anybody have any other ideas on what this could be?? I have checked wiring and it is all good, tried the different switch as stated above^^ it could have been another bad switch but I kinda doubt that was the issue. My dims work just fine, but when switched to brights they are dimmer than the dims like its just the DRLs are turned on. and still no indicator light in the dash... All other lights work fine, don't think its in the bcm or anything like that?
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:28 PM
It has to be wiring, a fuse, or the switch again. I am almost sure the BCM or anything digital is NOT the problem. (Especially since 99 does not have a BCM) If you did the hi-lo headlight mod, then check your connections there.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:32 PM
How did you check the wiring? By looking at it? Did you use a meter? Did you check the grounds for corrosion? Looseness? Even a small slice in a wire will cause a problem.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:54 PM
I checked all visible wiring, didn't find any loose connections. I don't know what exactly to test for voltage, I am 99% sure it is in some switch somewhere but is there anything besides the switch on the column? And what for fuses, the only fuses I saw that related directly to the headlights were the two 15's in the dash fusebox and they weren't blown. What gets me is the fact that the lights go back to (what seems like) DRL's and no indicator light in the dash, and all other lights work properly. I did have the High/Low mod on but it is removed now, and all connections from that are weatherproofed. I am going to go to another yard and pull a few more switches to test and see if I did get a bad one from this other place
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:45 PM
I had a something like this,but had daytime running light and low beam lights,But no high beam lights..

I found out it was the relay the is mounted at the front bumper beside the drivers head light,Its gray in color...Swapped it out for a new one all is well..maybe that will work,And if it dose get some dielectric grease and apple some to the connector before you replug the really in..And dielectric grease should be used on all electrical connections on the car,will stop corrosion from starting..

hope this helps

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 6:40 PM
Which relay is it? I thought there were two of them? This could be the problem, I will check anything out at this point.
Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:51 AM
if you pop the hood,remove the rad cover,Then right beside the drivers head light you will see a big relay,its near the front bumper,cant miss it...if you are looking at the relay near the fan thats the fan relay.
Thursday, September 08, 2011 7:42 PM
Its actually near the pass side headlight on mine.. and that was it, relay was fried. (someone put a regular bosh style spade terminal relay in) it was burned up on one of the posts and I tore it apart and wouldn't you know the switch was burned up. Spliced in the correct connector and relay and its good as new... thanks for the help people.
Friday, September 09, 2011 6:58 AM
Well good it's all working. I guess my car being a 97 relay was in a different spot.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search