Factory Paint... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Factory Paint...
Monday, September 12, 2011 12:52 PM
Would a 97 Cavalier have a clear coat or atleast enough to do a bit of very light wetsanding in a few spots.

Re: Factory Paint...
Monday, September 12, 2011 1:39 PM
It does have clear from the factory, everything was shot with a bascoat/clearcoat. Is there enough clear to cut it a bit? That's something I couldn't tell you over the internet, need to actually see.
Most likely, as long as the clear is stil "clear", then yes, you have some room to remove a bit. If it's getting a very dull, almost white haze to it, like I see on many earlier third gens, then probably not.
Remember too, if you wetsand, it's gonna need a good buffing to bring the shine back out again.

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:42 PM
I basicly removed my molding and afterwards there is kind of a small raised line where the top and bottom edges of the molding was. I cannot wash/scrub/goo gone it away and assume its something that will need to be wetsanded out. I do have rubbing compound I would obviously be using afterwards.
Monday, September 12, 2011 4:00 PM
You ill find the door was probably repainted. That line is because they didnt remove the molding before repainting.

Unfortunately its a very common thing with lazy bodyshops. Only way to get rid of it from my efforts has been a repaint.
Monday, September 12, 2011 4:51 PM
I was kinda thinkin that but its not really THAT old of a car...no history of accidents. Paint is not in a condition where it looks like it may have been redone.
Monday, September 12, 2011 5:01 PM
It was..Hell my 02 has already been redone. It happens alot and doesn't always get reported or recorded.

Im sure if you got down in a way that showed the surface of the paint it would have a little orange peel look to the paint. That is a sure sign its been redone.

If it was a freak and was redone at the factory which I cant see them doing it this way it still will have to be repainted. But you can try and wetsand it out but I think you'll end up making a bigger mess then the line.
Monday, September 12, 2011 5:03 PM
I bet if its a 97 it could of been repainted. You never know, someone might of replaced the door for whatever reason and just got it repainted.
Monday, September 12, 2011 5:56 PM
Did you try clay bar?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, September 12, 2011 10:10 PM
Steve B wrote:I basicly removed my molding and afterwards there is kind of a small raised line where the top and bottom edges of the molding was. I cannot wash/scrub/goo gone it away and assume its something that will need to be wetsanded out. I do have rubbing compound I would obviously be using afterwards.

Yea sounds like it was repainted with the moldings on. You could wet sand the area a bit and try to taper off the edge a bit...it might hide it a little, though only way to really fix it is a respray.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search