Splitters - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Splitters
Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:00 PM
Has anyone put a functional splitter on a cavalier. I mean put a splitter on for aerodynamic effects (increased downforce or decreased drag) and not to be rice.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Re: Splitters
Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:08 PM
A spoiler on the trunk?
99% of them are looks, and as you said alot of them are just "rice"
The speed you need for them to be funcional is beyond the point of putting one on.
A spoiler on the front will help push air under the car and save some gas. (can)
If you have nothing on your trunk and want something to look good I would suggest a low profile spoiler. Won't be so much function but it can look good if it's tasteful.
Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:58 PM
Our cars don't move fast enough, long enough to justify a splitter.

Any loss of traction in the front wheels is going to be from weight transfer, not lift.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:13 PM
Kcb, no a splitter on the front bumper. Like a Nascar or any top tier street mod car on the scca. Odd they didn't make downforce at low speeds, they wouldn't be so prevalent at auto-X. I take it from the negative reaction that I can claim to have the first and only cavalier with a functional splitter. Math says it makes 100 pounds of downforce at 50mph.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:16 PM
pics or no way it happened:-p

Modding my j since I found the org
Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:25 PM

Still needs an air dam to be finished. Worked well at the auto-x today. I had to pull a ton of rear damping because I to prevent oversteer.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:28 PM
I've thought about this as well after seeing one on a miata. What did you make yours out of? And what class are you competing in?

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:34 PM
1/4" plywood. I would have like to have made it from a layer of carbon laid on a sheet of aluminum but that sheet would have cost 160 bucks. I'm in smf, this is built close to, I could have gone back to the center of the front wheels.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:56 PM
I can tell a difference with the splitter on my bc2 bumper

Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:10 AM
Please tell me this is an early april fools joke ....

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, October 23, 2011 8:55 AM

Sunday, October 23, 2011 4:03 PM
Roofy wrote: Please tell me this is an early april fools joke ....

You know I really dont give a @!#$ what my car looks like so long as its not crash damaged.

Sunday, October 23, 2011 11:40 PM
did it really make a noticable difference at low AutoX speeds? The AutoX events Ive watched they dont get anywhere near 50mph..what speeds do you typically hit?

and theres going to be haters obviously, but if its functional and is serving a purpose so what, its not built to win shows lol
might wanna avoid any roadkill at high speeds lol..will flip those suckers up into your windshield!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, October 24, 2011 9:10 AM
We normally top out one a very fast course at 70 but normally corners are in the 35 mph range. It took this car from needing to man handled to not spin in transition to spinning no matter what in transition, and took it from washing out the front on sweeper to being neutral. I didnt get a chance to figure out the suspension changes I need for it to work because I notice I cracked a brake rotor in the morning runs. Then I drove a miata the rest of the day.

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:17 PM
you have any vidz of you at the track? did the rotor crack due to a hot temp on a cold morning? did they get wet after being extremely hot?

sounds like itd be fun to watch...and tons of my friends that do it are primarily S2000's, miatas, and even a few Corvettes (top times too!)

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, October 24, 2011 9:00 PM
I think I have an older vid kicking around I took with my phone masking taped to the head rest.

I was getting surface cracks on the rotors all year, and either it was just its time to go or the colder morning expedited the process I dont know. The brakes have always been insignificant on this car, like its sad to not be able to lock up 205's on dry pavement. I think it was a combo of driving the car as hard as I do with as much power as I do, on stock brakes with parts store brand setup. I've got everything I need to do to run the saturn setup with ebc reds all around, just drilled the rotors tonight, need to mill the brackets at some point this week.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:48 PM
Comment hidden do to low rating...

Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:10 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I missed this and it's pretty cool.

Leafy, you don't need to buy a sheet of aluminum to lay some nice flat CF for a splitter, your best bet would actually be to buy a sheet of polyethylene. a 48" x 96" sheet of LDPE is around $60, $35 if you think you could get away with 1/16" thick. Personally I think I'd go for 1/8" thick and keep it nice and flat and supported with a sheet of plywood.

Two layers of 6oz woven cf with an 1/8"-1/4" thick core would net a VERY light and VERY strong splitter for pretty cheap.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:53 PM
i think revision 2 is going to be made of dura board, or something like that. Its 1/6 aluminum with a 1/6" piece of polycarb bonded between the aluminum. My other choice would be to do the plywood again but coat the whole thing in resin. I have 2 issues with it right now. the wood stared to warp, and it takes 11 nuts to take it off. I did it that way initially because it cost 40 bucks in hardware rather than over 200, but I found a way that I should be able to do it for like 100 bucks in hardware that makes it adjustable and come off with 11 pull pins.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:04 PM
Dura board is an interesting and pretty decent idea, I don't think you're going to get the rigidity and lightness from that that you would with a cored CF sheet though.

What are you using for hardware? I'd like to build my own splitter come spring.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:09 PM
its not a splitter..i guess..but i think it fits the original question

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:10 PM
Right now its cut to length 5/16 threaded rod with nylocks and clamping nuts on the radiator support (Because I cant actually reach the top nut to hold it to tigthen the bottom nut if the splitter is on. And 1/2"od 3/32 wall alumnium tube that was cut and filed to fit. Instead I'm going to use some circle track wing braces because they're way cheaper than buying all the stuff individually that I can find. Your text to link here...

And the material I was thinking of was DiBond, not duraboard.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:22 PM
Yeah I figured out what you were talking about, haha. I worked with it a few years ago. I wouldn't soak plywood in resin, its just going to make it weight about 15lbs more than it already does.

I'm telling you though, composites would be much stronger and lighter.

Either way, props for actually building something new and functional.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:33 PM
Yeah, surprisingly its showing a bit of an mpg gain. Normally with the switch to winter gas and being cold out I loose like 2 mpg's but this year I havent noticed it. I got crappy gas mileage data when it was still warm out and I had this. So I'll be interested to see if Its better in the summer. My local SCCA is thinking about making me equipment chief so I'm pretty much required to go to all of the auto-x this year and those mess up the mileage data so no idea when I'll get that. Though there may also be a functional wing build coming out of me mid summer if I can tune the spinning this produced out with suspension tuning.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:42 PM
Nice. I'd like to make a rear diffuser that extends all the way to the rear of the fuel tank as well. That won't be quite so easy though, and will entail a pretty extensive mold.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search