how hard is it to install z24 sides on a base cavalier? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how hard is it to install z24 sides on a base cavalier?
Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:30 AM
How difficult would it be to install z24 side skirts on my 01 cavalier? I want to get a set from the junk yard at some point and was just wondering how much of a hassle they would be to install.

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Re: how hard is it to install z24 sides on a base cavalier?
Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:14 AM
it shouldnt be all that difficult, there are quite a few mounting tabs underneath that will all need holes drilled into the rocker's to be hooked up.

you can either do one of two ways to get the upper mounting part of it to work, either drill the holes into the car and buy the stock clips, or place 3m double sided tape onto each pedistal where the stock clips go and push it onto the body that way.

there will be a screw needed on each inner fender well as well, which would be pretty easy with the tires/wheels off.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:27 AM
Definately not rocket science.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:49 PM
Ok doesn't sound extremely bad then. I was just curious as I have not seen one off of the car in person yet.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:30 PM
I know this is an old ass thread, and my apologies for bumping it.

if one were to want to drill said holes, how the HELL do you mark where you need to drill? the bottom of the skirt blocks your hand from marking where you need to drill.

I'm thinking of going the 3M tape just because of this, but still curious as to how one would drill said holes

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:55 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:I know this is an old ass thread, and my apologies for bumping it.

if one were to want to drill said holes, how the HELL do you mark where you need to drill? the bottom of the skirt blocks your hand from marking where you need to drill.

I'm thinking of going the 3M tape just because of this, but still curious as to how one would drill said holes

x2

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:45 PM
Spalattero wrote:
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:I know this is an old ass thread, and my apologies for bumping it.

x2

Easy. remove all the clips from the skirt leaving thier mounting locations. tape to car and screw the wheel well ends inplace(they need a screw in each well) then crawl under and using a sharpie mark ur holes. then remove the skirt measure the hole needed for the clip to enter and just make it slightly larger. then once in place with clips and the end screws mark and drill for the support tabs under the car. all and all maybe 30 mins for the set start to finish.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:51 PM
^^ the problem with that is the LS Sport side skirts have a 'tray' on the bottom that covers the skirt completely until you get to the rail on the bottom side of the body.

I'm thinking 3M tape is the only way to do it, unless you can make some kind of template from an LS Sport car to line the holes up... there is no way to mark LS Sport sides while they're in place, the bottom is closed off from your eyes and hands.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:07 PM
Mine are screwed in on the bottom and sides. I have no tape or mounting tabs on the upper part and they stay up fine.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:20 PM
PJ I just made a template for mine (just tackled this project the other day actually). I used some strips of thin cardboard that had peel away adhesive backing on. I layed those on the mounting tabs, and just used a small piece of double sided tape to temporary attach to the mounting tabs (the adhesive back is stronger than the tape so when you pull the skirt off the car the template stays).
So stick on the template, mark the other (non sticky) side of the template withthe skirt off the car, then mock up on the car to stick on the template, then drill away.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search