cavy/sunflower windshields.... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cavy/sunflower windshields....
Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:41 PM
has anyone on jbo actually removed a windshield and reinstalled it? I have had some people say possible and some say impossible, as I have 2 parts cars with new wildshields(98 flower and 99 cavy), and the new 99 sunflower needs a windshield in the worst way, so I was debating buying new windshield or remove one from parts car(if possible without breaking) and install on the new sunflower

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Re: cavy/sunflower windshields....
Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:13 PM
It is possible to remove the glass from the parts car. I don't feel like writing out each step and what to do... so HERE is a link to a video showing you how. HERE is part two. It is the same procedure for the cavalier... EXCEPT be extra careful with the weatherstripping at the top. I would slowly pry it out with a screwdriver when you get to the top... or else it will get stretched out and look like crap. I've learned that from experience with the cavy. lol. Good luck and take your time.

Friday, December 02, 2011 11:50 AM
yes, very possible. I've done it multiple times.

Saturday, December 03, 2011 2:51 PM
now I am being told its safety concern and illegal, and impossible without cracking window

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Saturday, December 03, 2011 4:47 PM
first of all how offen you say sunflower it sounds GAY GM never made a sunflower they did make a sunfire

if you know how to take it out then get it out your best to get a company that comes toyour to remove it and reinstall it

i wouldn't do it yourself cause if you have to ask how to do it you shouldn't be doin it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, December 03, 2011 6:06 PM
just have it done, most places offer free install and gaurantee the work.
Sunday, December 04, 2011 12:54 PM
It's easier to have someone come out and do it that does it for a living. They won't guarantee the windshield not to break if they do it, but the chances are they won't break it since they know what they are doing and do it everyday. Usually they don't charge too much, especially if you break the windshield trying it yourself. I've had good luck with a good windshield place and they've never broken any that I've had done. That is what I would suggest because if you've never done it before you will probably break at least one especially trying to reuse it. It is one of those times where it is better to pay to have it done than doing it yourself.
Monday, December 05, 2011 5:59 AM
AJ B wrote:now I am being told its safety concern and illegal, and impossible without cracking window

doubt its illegal, and its certainly not impossible without cracking.

tell the person who told you that they don't know wtf they're talking about.

Monday, December 05, 2011 1:59 PM
Its only a safety concern if the windshield your using as a replacement is damaged already, including cracks, chips, etc..., if it is installed improperly, or if the window frame is damaged (side pillars, by the roof, and down on the cowl) but that's part of a whole other thing. Windshield glass must be put in place correctly as well, you can do it yourself if your trained or have the knowledge.. if not, don't try. The windshield, both front and back, and any non moving side windows (I.E.: rear triangles on coupes) are integral parts of the vehicle structure. They help hold the body together in crashes rollovers and whatever else you might get into. Improper installation can cause a weak point in your vehicles safety system.
Monday, December 05, 2011 3:44 PM
Just get a new one put in. They are not that expensive. With out the proper tools it's a SOB to get out.

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, December 05, 2011 7:16 PM
try buying a windsheild for a convertible lol, bout twice the cost.

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:52 PM
oh I did get one put in glass and autobody are not my things, thats why I look into it, I never did say I was going to remove the windshields myself I wouldnt know where to start, but you put me infront of an angine or a mechanical repair Im all head over heals lol, but I did get a shop to put a window in and I passed the out-of-province inspection with it, and the company offered to remove both windshields of the parts cars for $50 which is not so bad, but with BC you tend to go through windshields alot and fast

Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:58 PM
Spencer wrote:try buying a windsheild for a convertible lol, bout twice the cost.

i bought my droptop needing a new one lol first mod thing to be done 3 days later though

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search