Smooth valve cover - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Smooth valve cover
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:59 PM
was wondering what the process would be or tools involved to smooth out the valve cover on a 2.4, seen a few pics of a couple that were smoothed out and done in CF. Was wondering if something more than a 12v drill and those rough abrasive disks were needed to do this job thanks.

Re: Smooth valve cover
Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:51 AM
Yes... please read on the internet... there are thousands of post involving how to polish...

Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:57 AM
Point me to where I asked about "polishing" I'm wondering about removing the lettering and grooved lines. Does it make you feel good replying with useless @!#$.
Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:28 PM
Use a grinder to carve down as much as you can, use a dremel to smooth and then polish if you want to go that route.

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:30 PM
Great thanks.
Re: Smooth IDI cover
Friday, December 30, 2011 7:07 AM
ok ill spoon feed you.

first off, its not a valve cover, its an "IDI" cover.

secondly, hit up www.google.com and type in "how to polish aluminum". there will literally be thousands of pages to surf through. hit up www.youtube.com for the same thing and watch hundreds of videos on it.

you will have TONS of hours into this. just the grinding down of the all the ribs/lettering is going to be very tedius work. once you have it basically flat the polishing should go pretty smoothing i would think, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 30, 2011 7:07 AM

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, December 30, 2011 9:20 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ok ill spoon feed you.
you will have TONS of hours into this.

This.
Be prepared for some tedious work. And like said above, grab a die grinder and maybe an angle grinder, and start shaving. A dremel will be great for the finish work, if you don't have one, a drill and sanding drum will suffice. Then I would finish by hand and block it just to make sure it's a nice level surface. I've done a couple IDI covers for people, and it is time consuming.

Friday, December 30, 2011 2:34 PM
Thanks for the help.
Friday, December 30, 2011 7:33 PM
valve cover cover Brad
Monday, January 09, 2012 6:06 PM
I don't like the idea of it polished, but I'd love a smooth IDI cover.. esp if it was wrapped in CF

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:10 AM
Josh Watson wrote:I don't like the idea of it polished, but I'd love a smooth IDI cover.. esp if it was wrapped in CF

same here.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search