Fender and bumper alignment help - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fender and bumper alignment help
Monday, January 02, 2012 9:34 AM
I currently have a 2000 z that I swapped the front end over from my last one which was a 96. Bumper, hood, fenders, and headlights were all swapped. I obviously got rid of the 00 headlight brackets and put on the smaller little clip type thing and the fender support from the 96. Now where my issue comes into play is that the bumper sits a good 1.5" above the bumper support rather than just sitting on it like on my 96. I put some foam on there to keep it up. Is that normal on the different year swaps?

Another issue is the passenger headlight... The driver side is fine in that if put where it should be in relation to the radiator support, it fits fine and looks fine on the bumper. Now the passenger side seems like it sticks out too far. I had to push it way back on the radiator support, much further than it is suppose to be and it still sticks out too far. It seems aligned fine with the fender and hood for the most part with it pushed back the way it is, but the little hump on the bumper that go under the headlight isn't flush with it on the passenger side like it is on the driver side and that also leaves a gap on the side by the fender. Here's the driver side that seems fine:

And here's the passenger side pushed back too far to try and make it align better:

Hump too far back (the bumper is as far forward as it can be on the front of the fender)

You can see the headlight STILL needs to go back farther some how:

Okay, and now the last issue... The hood seems to bow in the middle of the fender on the passenger side. I don't believe its hitting anything on the engine bay and the bump stops are all low enough. If you push the hood down so the bow is level with the fender, then the front is way too low. I'm not sure if somehow my hood bowed while is storage (about 5 years standing up) or if it would have never fit good since it was brand new and never installed prior to this car. Unless there's a way to bring my fender up to match, or bring the hood down, I think I'll need to build up the fender to match with some body filler. Here's the bow:

Thanks for any help with getting this all to align. I know its a lot to read and take in, but any help is greatly appreciated. Ohh and a side note, the hood and fenders fit perfect on my 96, so I don't think they are physically mess up, I think its either just the alignment or for some reason the way they fir on an 00.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Fender and bumper alignment help
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:44 PM
my 99 oem carbonfiber cavalier hood did the same thing and i never could get it to sit flush no matter what i did, but then again i am in no way a body fitment guy

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:37 PM
with the headlight is there any way you can turn in all the aiming screws to actually sit the headlight further in the housing? not sure about cavys i have a sunfire but i had to do that to our neon shop car when we replaced the headlight asembleys one stuck out way further so we turned all the aiming screws in the same amount to flush it then aimed the headlight from there...
Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:26 AM
Its all the way in as far as that goes.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Saturday, January 07, 2012 9:19 AM
Anyone else have any ideas or helpful thoughts??

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Monday, January 09, 2012 1:07 PM
You can slightly slot the holes that mount the headlights to help line everything up.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 09, 2012 1:11 PM
I've never seen a set of the eBay projectors that actually fit well without some modification.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:12 AM
i take it the front was on ur old.car n was ok. this new cav was used i take it. seems a bit beat up and it could of been in a small accident which would throw everything outta wack.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search