Splitters - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Splitters
Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:02 PM
I actualyy had a plan for that though its on sketchy legalities in the rules. Bumpers are free, though diffusers are not mentioned in my section of the rule book. My plan was to make some 035 or 065 Al sheet metal into a belly tray back there that connected to the bumper, and weld aluminum nuts to the back side and run the diffuser elements with T flanges on the ends bolted in. May require a layer of CF on the belly pan to have enough stiffness.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:28 AM
Here is an original idea. How about you set your suspension up properly so you dont "need" some half assed engineered mod to make it neutral.

Error: Sig not found.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:05 AM
damn tinks, its like that?

Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:17 AM
Cars with aero setup for auto-x will be faster than cars without it. Just look at the vancover special or the panda. 2 national champions with aero kits designed by engineers and the panda's is VERY half assed.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:56 AM
balanced aero is key... can't add downforce to the front without balancing the rear.

honestly im not surprised that the rear is letting go if the front is generating as much downforce as you've calculated.

ill be adding splitter, diffuser, and a functional rear spoiler as well but i expect minimal gains on the short autox courses our region runs. im looking more at long course autox that a neighboring region runs and trackdays where ill see the true benefits.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:58 AM
I have a couple sheets of dibond and 3mm and 6 mm pvc at work. I have seriously thought about making a full belly pan for the car once I put the new motor in and make sure its completely sealed up with no type of fluid leak.

I've often wondered about venting the heat from the exhaust. Wouldn't having some vents in the pan partially defeat the purpose?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:01 AM
You actually want to vent the exhaust into the diffuser. The hot gas increases the vacuum effect. If you are going to make a diffuser that long look the the SAE article that one of the formula teams wrote about how the starting point and angle of the diffuser effects how strong and where the aero force is.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:07 AM
you could add a few louvers to the belly pan facing rearward that would help vent heat along the path of the exhaust without disrupting airflow too much... should help draw out some heat without allowing too much between the bottom of the car and belly pan

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search