vinyl wrap cavalier? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
vinyl wrap cavalier?
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:53 AM
has any one vinyl wrap there cavalier?.. i hit a deer about 4 yrs ago on driver side and thinking of replacing the hood fender and door they will come out different colors buying them used of course and was thinking of just vinyl wrap the whole car flat black and i am not going to be buying a newer car for a while.. i am just sick of tired looking at my dented up car lol and a paint job is outta question i can just replace body parts and all and do a few prepping before i put on vinyl wrap since they are like $200 range or less plus i have all the free time in the world..

2000 base cavalier 3 speed auto at 212,100 as of 1/24/12
2000 Buick regal gs (Supercharged) 150,000 miles http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/crossout80/?albumview=slideshow

Re: vinyl wrap cavalier?
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:43 PM
for $200 and "all the time in the world" skip the vinyl and do a roll on paint job.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:39 PM
a full vinyl wrap for $200, good luck as the material alone is about 5 times that. The correct vinyl needs to be used for wraps. It's not just regular vinyl you see car window stickers made from.

Whichever way you go, you are going to need to prep the car panels correctly for paint and or vinyl to adhere properly. If you filed a claim when you hit a deer you should be fine as you can take it to a body shop and just pay your deductable.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:14 PM
I did my trunk lid. It turned out pretty well for me having to deal with the convexness of lid and the fact that the vinyl I got didnt breathe and I had to fight bubbles a lot. Definitely would not tackle a full car as my first project.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:35 PM
JM Graphics & Signs wrote:a full vinyl wrap for $200, good luck as the material alone is about 5 times that. The correct vinyl needs to be used for wraps. It's not just regular vinyl you see car window stickers made from.

Whichever way you go, you are going to need to prep the car panels correctly for paint and or vinyl to adhere properly. If you filed a claim when you hit a deer you should be fine as you can take it to a body shop and just pay your deductable.

i did not have full coverage at that time and not paying payments on it i paid it in cash 7 yrs ago so i am not required to pay for full coverage ins since banks required us to have full coverage... it was only a 5 yrs old car for 3800 out the door at the time i brought it.. i am getting a hood, fender and a door for only 150 bucks used of course just different colors.. and vinyl only 175-250 but i gotta measure up before i buy too little or too much vinyl... http://simcarbon.com/buy-matte-films/matte-silver-vinyl i just don't really care for black vinyl...

2000 Buick regal gs (Supercharged) 150,000 miles http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/crossout80/?albumview=slideshow
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:38 PM
The Boost Creep (ECOsleeper) wrote:for $200 and "all the time in the world" skip the vinyl and do a roll on paint job.

why would i roll on paint? that's some thing a hillbilly would do.. lol

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:12 PM
because with 40hrs of sanding it can look pretty good and be durable compared to people doing "hillbilly" spray can jobs and trying to stretch poor quality vinyl over a whole car(bubble city) . theres a red 2nd gen on there that did it and you can read the serial number of a dollar bill in the paint.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:27 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=7&i=390707&t=374231&p=1 try reading the thread i posted its the guy i was talking about.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:15 PM
crossout crossout wrote:
JM Graphics & Signs wrote:a full vinyl wrap for $200, good luck as the material alone is about 5 times that. The correct vinyl needs to be used for wraps. It's not just regular vinyl you see car window stickers made from.

i did not have full coverage at that time and not paying payments on it i paid it in cash 7 yrs ago so i am not required to pay for full coverage ins since banks required us to have full coverage... it was only a 5 yrs old car for 3800 out the door at the time i brought it.. i am getting a hood, fender and a door for only 150 bucks used of course just different colors.. and vinyl only 175-250 but i gotta measure up before i buy too little or too much vinyl... http://simcarbon.com/buy-matte-films/matte-silver-vinyl i just don't really care for black vinyl...

I would HIGHLY suggest know the type of vinyl your buying for $175-200 to do the entire car before buying it. I have been in the sign business for over half a decade and there is no way that is proper wrap vinyl for that price to do a entire car. Good quality vinyl for wraps has air release channels so there are no bubbles during installation.

Just trying to help because i see a huge mistake about to happen.

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:00 PM
crossout crossout wrote:
The Boost Creep (ECOsleeper) wrote:for $200 and "all the time in the world" skip the vinyl and do a roll on paint job.

why would i roll on paint? that's some thing a hillbilly would do.. lol

if your budget is only 200 and you want your car to be 1 color and you dont buy and spray some cheap omni paint yourself, then anything you do is going to look like a hillbilly job. check out the man's link and do a little research on it before you knock it. lots of people have had decent results with it. $200 of vinyl is going to be the cheap kind and wont hold up like you are expecting. if money is the biggest concern, at least save up for a maaco paint job. sure itll only last for a few years before it fades/peels, but its also like $300 or so.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:09 AM
You want matte black and want to pay over a grand for a wrap when you will get the same look for 80 bucks worth of primer from walmart? Drunk me fails to see the logic in that. Though sobering up me thinks your matte black will look better if you spend 400 pucks on a real semi gloss black paintjob which will still be cheaper than the grand it will take to get a vinyl wrap.

Also remember the rule about matte paint jobs, if the car is crappy enough to be realistically daily driven in only primer then it should never be painted a matte or semi gloss color.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:10 AM

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:55 AM
i am not doing it any ways its not cost efficient to me to get it done any ways i wanted to kinda get done cheaply as possible and sell it to get more then what its worth now with a banged up look right now its kinda worth 800-1200...since small cars are worth 2 times more then 5 yrs ago! i am seeing $2000-$3000 range around here for the same car i have and all.. i would be happy to get 2500 out of that i just want to upgrade to cobalt or buy another Buick regal gs like the one i had i have my eye on an 04 i can't seem to live with out a supercharged car lol and thanks again guys for advise..... i am thinking the cheap macco paint job just for cheap and to sell it i just want to get much as possible out of it... the car runs very solid for 212,000 miles on it and now its tax refund season and its the best time to sell cars!!

Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:50 AM
I'm with JM Graphics, Ive been doing this for 5 years in May. The material alone to wrap a car is about $5 a lin/ft. thats not including any printing or lamination to protect the finish.

It would take about 30-40 linear feet of material(depending on the installer) to do a cavalier. If you mess up, you will need more.

The stuff on website given is probably some cheap calendared material that wont conform properly and I doubt it have any type of air release adhesive.

I just had 2 vans painted at Maaco for $650 each. They were both 2012 Chevy express 3500 extended vans. I bet you could get a cheap single stage paint job on a cavalier for less than that.

Paint is one of those things you do right or dont do at all.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:59 PM
Why don't you just plasti dip the whole car if you want to have it flat black
Thursday, February 02, 2012 10:19 AM
if you're only looking to do this for resale value, i'd go with junkyard parts. a slight mismatch shouldn't bother a potential buyer in a $2500 car.

honestly, you'll probably put more money into painting/wrapping the car then you would lose selling it in it's current condition.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search