03+ Working Bi-Xenon HID Kits? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03+ Working Bi-Xenon HID Kits?
Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:35 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased a Notto SE HID Kit from CarID and cant get it to work properly. I was simply wondering if anybody has a true Bi-Xenon HID kit in a stock 03+ wiring setup. If so, please share with me the Kit / Company, and how you wired it. Thanks!

Re: 03+ Working Bi-Xenon HID Kits?
Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:24 PM
i bought my hids from amazon. Heres the link.

http://www.amazon.com/NSSC-8000K-Bi-Xenon-Xenon-Conversion/dp/B00338G5UA/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1327648352&sr=8-23

These lights are the best I've come across. the high/low function works exactly like your stock bulbs would with no delay and the install was really easy. Used the stock wiring and everything worked perfectly. just had to ground two wires and wire tuck the harness wires so they weren't showing. What seems to be the problem with yours?
Friday, January 27, 2012 5:56 AM
The hi/lo function refuses to work. Both bulbs are stuck in the HI position, and the only way to get them into LO is to disconnect the Hi/Lo wire.
Friday, January 27, 2012 10:04 AM
That actually happened to me with a past set of lights. The wires on the back of the plug that goes into your stock harness might be in the incorrect place. Thats what happened to me. I had to switch two of the wires to make it work but it did work. Let me find the old set when i get home from work and ill see how i have em lined up. Whats the color of the 3 wires on the plug that go into your stock harness and how are the lined up from left to right?
Friday, January 27, 2012 10:43 AM
If you have time just switch the wires around. Try to match them up as best you can with the stock harness like i think the ground on the stock harness is black and on the relay its brown or something so keep those together and just switch the other two to see if they work. You will need a pen or something small to be able to help pull the pins out from the back. ull see how to do it when you look at it.
Friday, January 27, 2012 11:21 AM
I've tried repinning some stuff already, but I'll pull my Haynes manual out and make sure that all the pins are in the right place. I didn't even think about that, but this kit is supposed to be for 9004 and 9007 bulbs. Maybe that has some thing to do with it.
Friday, January 27, 2012 11:52 AM
hmm i'm not to sure what it could be then if you already tried repinning. ill still take a look at how i have it set up later or tomorrow and let you know still. My bulbs were for the same 9004/9007 so i'm not sure if thats the problem.
Friday, January 27, 2012 3:49 PM
So I pulled out my haynes manual, to try and figure out if any of the HID kit needs re-pinning, but I noticed something that made me want to distrust my haynes manual for the first time ever.... I have an older version of the cavalier manual, so it only covers 95-04, instead of the current 95-05 version. Here's a scan of the the headlight wiring page:

If you notice the wire going from the BCM that is labeled DRL control, its labeled as being Light Green or Black. I know for a fact that it is actually dark blue. I learned this doing the DRL disable on my 04 Cavalier. So.... if anyone has the haynes manual that includes the 05 cavaliers, could you compare your headlight wiring page to see if its different? Also, I know that the wiring setup changed between 99 and 00, and this haynes manual has all of the cavaliers after '96 being exactly the same.

... really considering contacting Haynes to see about this, and if they could possibly exchange my manual with one that includes the '05s in the hopes that it will have an updated wiring page.
Friday, January 27, 2012 4:32 PM
I had a small ray of understanding with the wiring in the 03+ cavaliers just now. They have a switched ground system, whereas most cars use a switched power system to change between high and low. The HID harness that is supplied from CarID is setup for a switched power system to operate the high / low function. This may be as simple as replacing a diode in my harness with a jumper wire. I'm going to give CarID a call and see if they have any info on this before I do it, but I think I've got it figured out.
Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:52 AM
SUCCESS!!!!! I took a really close look at the wiring harness that goes in between my OEM 9007 socket and the ballast, and realized that there is a little wire that ended in something inside of Black Heatshrink wrapping. I cut the wrapping open, and to my surprise, it was a diode. That got me thinking about the fact that the 03+ Cavaliers use a switched ground instead of switched power, so I pulled the diode out and switched its direction. Fired the lights up, hit the highs, and everything worked perfectly!!!!! Now the diode is wrapped in electrical tape, but I'm running to Radio Shack later for other projects and I'll get some more heatshrink.

Hope this helps anyone with a CarID kit going into an 03+ cavalier!
Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:09 PM
WOOT WOOT!! Glad to see that you got it working!

Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:22 PM
Mark T wrote:WOOT WOOT!! Glad to see that you got it working!

Me too!

Now to go pull some headlights out of a junkyard, so I can finish the Projector install on these ones. For the next few days, I'm doing the "wrong thing" by having HID's in the stock headlights.... but I do very little night driving anyway.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search