bouncing hood................ - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bouncing hood................
Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:51 PM
hey everyone,
so I just noticed the other day while driving down the HWY (100-120kmph) that the left side of my hood bounces up and down quite a bit, but yet the passenger side stays nice and tight to the fender and doesn't move.

I took a look at it tonight while at work, the front latch works fine, the hinges are all intact and anchored properly (i checked with a wrench to make sure they were tight) the only other thing that i can think of would be the rubber spacers that keep the hood from contacting the inside of the fender. i pressed on the passenger side(good side) and then on the drivers side and it seems to feel the same like it hasn't lost its tension or anything. anyone have any thoughts of what the cause might be?

i know it's not causing any damage or anything it just kinda bugs me seeing it bouncing up and down while driving.

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB

Re: bouncing hood................
Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:02 PM
I actually have been having the same issue with my 04 fire too but have yet to figure it out.
Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:13 PM
raise the driver side bump stop a little, see if it makes a difference. I know they are over looked when adjusting gaps in the hood/headlights, people dont realize they just turn to raise or lower.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:32 PM
Hood pins worrys over

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:54 AM
i've tired adujusting the hood pin up and i brought it up as far as i could get it without it falling out and still the same issue, and also when i did that my hood sticks up a fair bit higher then the fender even when stopped.....

Next year 155 DB
Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:58 AM
adjust the hood latch some... you may have to angle it down towards the side of the hood that is raise more. just loosen it and then bump it slightly.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:17 AM
get rid of the hinges completely and throw 4 hood pins on it and you have easy engine access and your problem is solved
Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:06 PM
AznCav is prob right if the hood bump stop didnt fix it, but its odd that just one side shakes if it was a central hinge...what about raising the passenger side instead and dropping the driver side? the angle might offset it

Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:26 PM
i prob should of mentioned that i was in a minor accident ( i read ended a buddy of mine) enough to bend his rear frame a tiny bit. i have imprints on my ront bumper (drivers side) of his rear bumper, could that of possibly bent the hood slightly? i dont think there was any direct contact with the hood.

Next year 155 DB
Sunday, February 26, 2012 10:18 PM
absolutely....metal is like any other object...the energy from the impact is designed to cripple the front end including the hood long before it gets to the driver...it may have slightly tweaked it....

or since you hit the front end, maybe like Azn said, replace or adjust the front hood hinge...it might be bent just enough to allow play and if its tweaked in a certain way, the right side is effected... that accident is a slightly important bit of missing info

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:49 PM
hahaha my bad, its been like 4 or 5 years since it happened, but thanks for the info guys, might have to see if i can find a latch at a junk yard and if that dont fix it then oh well i'll just live with it. not forking out $200 for a new hood and then another $200 for a paint just to just fix a little wobble in it.

Next year 155 DB

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:39 AM
$30 hood pins

*****BLAME IT ON THE ALCOHOL*****
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:25 PM
john wrote:$30 hood pins

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:57 PM
yeah.......................... no thanks, i want to keep the stock look, i hate hood pins unless its on a proper racecar

Next year 155 DB
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search