Need help with body kit - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help with body kit
Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:16 PM
So I have a 96 cavalier and have a drift body kit. I put the front and back bumpers on. I can't figue out a good way to put the sides on. Any suggestions? Or if someone has the same kit and can tell me how they did it. Thanks

Re: Need help with body kit
Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:36 PM
I used 2 crews on the rear fender portion, 1 screw on the front fender portion, and 1 screw into the rear quarter panel right next to the door under the ridge. 2 sided tape on the door sill and 3 aluminum brackets I made for underneath to stabilize it. Obviously all that isn't needed, but I prefer them to be nice and solid.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:49 PM
Someone at work said something about ribits? I think that's how you spell it
Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:06 PM
Prob talking about rivets which are fasteners that is not removable without drilling the core of it out. You basically drill a hole in the kit and a hole in the body, then using a rivet gun bend the rivets into a [---] shape, which makes a fairly permanent pinch bond. Not really a good idea on a body kit unless its going to be permanent and/or molded in.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, March 09, 2012 2:19 AM
go to auto parts store and get interior screws or ask someone who works there to show you what you need, i used screws then rivets its really cheap,
Friday, March 09, 2012 4:18 AM

A body shop will be able to get you the proper panel bond adhesive so you dont end up ruining your car my putting holes in the body. Screws and rivets should NEVER be used to mount a body kit(except for one screw in each wheel well).

Error: Sig not found.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:50 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:

A body shop will be able to get you the proper panel bond adhesive so you dont end up ruining your car my putting holes in the body. Screws and rivets should NEVER be used to mount a body kit(except for one screw in each wheel well).

On the drift side skirts, there aren't any flat spots on the top of the upper sections for the tape to adhere to properly. Unless you build up the back of it with body filler or fiberglass to make it thicker than the 1/16" or whatever it is, screws are your only real option for a solid hold aside from molding them in.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:29 PM
Wow an aftermarket fiberglass box kit that requires fiberglass work to make it fit properly, who would have guessed..... Do the fiberglass work.

Error: Sig not found.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search