Headlight Problem with high beam... Help Please - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Headlight Problem with high beam... Help Please
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:32 AM
I have a 2003 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe. I am having a problem with the high beam on passenger side of the car. My dims work just fine. They turn on when the E-Brake is released, and when I need them for driving at night. But.... When I switch to high beams, only my drivers side High beam works.

I have replaced the bulb thinking it was bad, and nothing. I switched the bulbs out, passenger side to drivers side, and drivers side to the passenger side. And I am STUCK!

I bought it during the day and wouldn't think of something like that seeing that it was the first car I bought on my own. Any help would be appreciated, whether its just a hint, or something you've already encountered. Thanks to anyone who tries to help me out.

Re: Headlight Problem with high beam... Help Please
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:54 PM
Check the plug in to the bulb.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:50 PM
Like I said... I've replaced the bulb, switched the bulbs, done everything without having to work with the wiring. Unless I don't quite understand what you mean my checking the plug.

Where should I start looking at the wiring? Its all hooked correctly at the headlamp.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:22 AM
That would be part of the wiring. The plug in that goes to the bulb. Its possible the pin for the power to the high beam could be loose or broken.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:19 AM
I had a similar problem on the wife's 02 Z, and the wiring is practically the same.
Turns out the plug that connects to the bulb had melted and the wiring was shorting out.
A few upgraded ceramic replacement bulb plugs off ebay later and no issues.

Same thing happened to my 03 LS Sport. Same replacement fixed it.

Ceramic Plug upgrade harness

So check the plug and look for any melting inside the plug where it contacts the bulb or signs of the current jumping between the pins (runs in the plastic), if so you may need to replace them.
I would do both headlights at once and use the ceramic upgrades, the melting is a fairly prevalent problem with our bulb setup.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:55 AM
Harness.... Ordered!

Thanks guys for your help. I will let y'all know if it works. Thanks again for all the input and recommendations!

P.S. The ceramic upgrades come in a kit of two for both left and right headlights.
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:52 AM
No problem, you may wanna chekc the wiring as far back as you can for breaks or cut wires too. My old room-mate had my wife's car before her and he had to have the headlight wiring replaced due to a couple broken wires years before I replaced the harnesses. A wire break could cause the issue also.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search