fiberglass help - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fiberglass help
Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:09 AM
So iv made a evil eye hood for my car by welding and did alll the bodywork and i have a spair hood and i wanna try doing it with fiberglass...but i have very little expeirience working with it...any advice or a how to would be great

Re: fiberglass help
Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:03 AM
Find a fiberglass hood and fiberglass evil eyes on that. Don't combine fiberglass and metal when you've already done one the right way.

Fiberglass is very easy to work with though. Just be sure to use gloves and don't go crazy with the hardener for the resin, my first batch of resin lasted maybe a minute before it became unuseable lol

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:06 AM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:Find a fiberglass hood and fiberglass evil eyes on that. Don't combine fiberglass and metal when you've already done one the right way.

Fiberglass is very easy to work with though. Just be sure to use gloves and don't go crazy with the hardener for the resin, my first batch of resin lasted maybe a minute before it became unuseable lol

Also, too much or too little hardener can make the resin brittle when it hardens.

And I agree, if you can weld, why bother with trying to fiberglass a metal hood? Metal and Fiberglass expand and contract at different temperatures, so it will crack of.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:22 AM
ahh i see..i was just thinking of doing it fiberglass because welding and doing all the body work is pretty time consuming..so i wanted to give it a shot...but its cool ill just keep the hood hangin around til someone needs it or i get around to making eyelids for it..lol and yea iv worked with fiberglass some..just not alot..im currently making a fiberglass copy of a 02 ls lip to fit my 00-02 gt bumper

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search