Rear quarter panel dent - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear quarter panel dent
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:05 PM
So, there really is no backstory as to how this happened, except that someone knocked my e-brake off so the car rolled down a hill, sideswiped a pool deck, and into a tree. The only damage done was to my Xtreme Tuner front bumber, and down the entire passenger side (front panel and door can just be replaced, so no biggy). But the bad part is where the car bounced off the pool deck from hitting the rear quarter. Body Shops all quote at "More-than-the-car-is-worth" so I guess I was just wondering how (and how much) it would likely take to fix this at home? Some quick pics i snapped in the dark with my phone, will take better ones tomorrow in the daylight. First 3 are of the rear quarter, fourth is my bumper

Re: Rear quarter panel dent
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:15 PM
Well it doesnt look like that is a simple pop and go dent. Since its right on a seam its going to be a lot more of a pain. Many have replaced the rear fenders on the cars. Its not easy nor is it fun.

Nobody will be able to give you a price on it since they vary without seeing it. Depending how much money you have or how important of a fix it is to you, a shop can do it, but its POSSIBLE to do yourself. Try to save that front if possible. Not many of them floating around.

do you have any pics of the full car? Not sure that ive seen it before.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:29 PM
ouch looks nasty....but it is fixable...but if u dont have much expeirience with body work idk if its a DIY situation....but please dont go let someone pour a can of body filler on it.lol

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:35 PM
The bumper i can just re-glass (it was the prototype of the xtreme tuner, so it's not duraflex). I'm not really concerned about price, just wondering if there was anything i could do on my own at home to save the shop some trouble, and save me some money, without making it worse lol. The car is the HCI cav from their August 04 (i think) issue.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:29 AM
I was gonna say, bumper looked like glass vs the poly. That you could try to fix yourself at least.

As for the dent... you COULD, not sure how well it would go, but COULD replace the whole fender or just the dented part. to make it look right and uniform, id say the whole fender.

Overall Ill be honest... its ugly. Im sorry if it seems harsh but its my view on it. The white really kills it, Along with the stickers and the wing. Car has a TON of potential but the roll call and white kill it and im not sure what all is painted on or not.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:41 AM
Your car is def unique and has potential....but as of nowits very fast and furious inspired looking.lol..if i had to fix that dent id pull it out with a stud gun and pull hammer then put a thin filler wipe on it and repeat til its straight...but thats just how i would do it...

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:16 AM
I'm not fond too of it myself. I didn't build it, it was done by the magazine company back in 03/04 as sort of a "showcase" of j-body potential, before there was much aftermarket interest. It was used to test fit the xtreme tuner kit, and an early version of both the Hahn turbo and gm s/c kits, but it was a good starting place for me lol. I had considered going all blue, but I don't have anything else to drive while its being done (its my dd). All of it is painted, except the roll call. As far as the dent goes, ill try to get ahold of a stud gun and see how much I can pull out, and go from there. Hopefully it won't give me too much fuss, since I've gotta find a door and front quarter too (and a 5 speed engine harness, but that's another day) and as rare as j's are around here, its gonna be an adventure

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:28 AM
Props for trying to do it yourself atleast. Being its at a seam at the door like it is, its going to be a pain and fight you. Hopefully you can get it better looking than it is.

So since it was test fit for a lot of parts, does it still have the turbo or sc on it?

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:39 AM
It was, for lack of a better phrase, "a pain in my ass." When i bought it, there was a fully built, s/c engine in it. Something like 20k in the motor alone. The original owner wanted to keep it, so it got pulled and the stock Eco with the hahn kit got dropped in, but the engine harness had been chopped up and had a FAST ecu spliced in, and we couldn't get the car to start. Took it to a few shops, everyone Is clueless about cavs in general, so they all half assed it. Turbo got pulled off, put back all stock, still wouldnt start. Went through at least 4 harnesses (the one on it now is still the wrong one) and one of the shops finally faked their way through it and got it running. All of that over the course of 3-4 years sitting in shops.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:55 AM
Wow sounds like a lot of bad luck. Hopefully you get it squared away and on the right track.

Would be neat to see that kit in blue.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:04 AM
Yeah, I'm basically having to start from less than scratch, since I have to undo so much thats been done. On the bright side, the interior is flawless. I've got the body kit, lowering springs, big brakes, and full borla exhaust out of the way. Now its just a matter of managing some good old fashioned "DIY-trial-by-error" body and mechanical work, and since I don't know jack, it'll be "fun" figuring out my turbo tuning and engine rewiring in the future lol

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:43 AM
since you're going to need paint, pull that stupid roof scoop and spoiler off the car

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:59 PM
well i know ur up in tennessee. but theres a black lss with doors,skirts,and rear bumper in good condition in my local yard if u ever feel like a road trip....and if u did i could even help u some with the body work

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:02 PM
Yeah man, sounds awesome. When I get the cash, ill def head way. I had a sidewall blowout, but I found some Fallen Torque 5s with new tires, for $350, so I might end up selling my centerlines

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:17 PM
Sounds good just get with me

Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:30 PM
sweet ride , fix it ,dont throw it away .
Monday, April 16, 2012 1:30 PM
yeah good luck, i say rid it of that spoiler and that arrival blue paint isnt cheap...so just shop around for a while...waited this long might as well give it some more time...got any pics of the engine/interior?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:04 PM
I took a hit to the same spot on the rear quarter panel driver side...i can tell you hearing the prices of cutting it out and getting a patch welded on were no fun....

I did my best to bang out the dent and since my cavi has 150k miles I decided slappin on the bondo even if its gonna end up a thick coat in the end is still worth it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search