HOW TO: Painting/Smoking your taillights - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HOW TO: Painting/Smoking your taillights
Saturday, August 01, 2009 3:37 PM
Okay, first I'll start off by saying that my method may not work for everybody but I'll throw in alternatives and you can try it, at your own risk. This should also work whether you have stock tails or aftermarket tails. In my case, I had aftermarket.

Painting your taillights it rather easy, but it takes time.

I will also talk about painting both the inside and the outside of the taillights, cause there's different methods to each.

Okay, first step in painting the tail lights, is getting the stuff you need.

For painting the inside:
Oven/heat gun/hair drier/fire (don't suggest this last one)
Smoked paint/red-out paint/black-out paint
Blue Painters tape
Oven mitt
Screwdriver (or something else small you can pry stuff open with)
cookie sheet

For Painting the outside:
600/1500 grit paper
Water
Blue Painters Tape
smoked/red/black paint
clear finish, like clear coat
Rubbing Alcohol

Okay, once you've gotten all that stuff, you need to decide whether or not you want to paint the inside of the outside. Here's the best way to decide: if you have stock taillights paint the outside, not the inside, as the reflective covers and everything are on the cover of the tail light, at least this is true on 01 and lower models. the +03 I think you can do them from the inside, and that's up to you. If you have aftermarket tails, like the formally popular euro altezzas, like I did, you can paint them from the inside as the cover is completely clear. Once you've decided, make sure you're reading the right directions. If you are painting the inside, scroll down, if you are painting the inside, it starts right after this paragraph.

Painting the inside:

So, you've gotten all your stuff together, and now the very next step is to take apart your tails.
There are different ways of doing this, and I am not responsible for any damages done to your tails, ((just saying)) I am no professional. I have an 01, and aftermarket tails, this is what I did:
Preheat oven to 240 and give that time to heat up and pull off the weatherstripping. ((you may need to get new ones to put on. I did, because the old ones were crap))
Once that is heated put the tails on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 8-10 min. I did it one at a time, this way it was easier. When you put them in the oven, do not walk away. Stay by the oven and watch your tails, pull them and check them every two minutes or so to see if they are taking on any damages or are beginning to pull apart. If nothing happens for those ten minutes, pull the tails out and with a screwdriver, or something else small and can be used to pry open stuff, slowly and VERY CAREFULLY pull apart the top piece of your tails. This may take time and you may have to continue putting them back into the oven to heat up again. I suggest using an oven-mitt when handling the tail directly as they can be very hot.

If you do not want to use an oven, I don't blame you. You can use a hot gun which gives you control over where you heat up, or you can even use a hair drier. The hair drier doesn't work the best, but if you have nothing else, it should work. As for the fire I mentioned earlier, this can be done with either the inside or the outside, and I highly recommend that you DO NOT do it. I have been told that if you take your taillight over a flame and let the smoke burn it, you will get a natural smoked looked, but you can destroy your tail, not get an even coat, and I'm not sure how long it will really last, but the choice it yours.

When you are finished pulling them apart, set the backside away, you won't need it for a while and take the top piece, it should look something like this:

Once you've gotten that, the next step is to tape off the taillight. Tape off everything you don't want to be painting. In my case I only taped off the edges of the tails so that the black wasn't painted over and on the inside tails, taped off the reverse lights which gave it a bit of a stock look. I don't have any pictures of me taping it off, so you'll have to use your imagination, . Use a knife of something else sharp to cut off excess tape if you want certain parts showing through, like when I did my reverse lights, this is what I did and it looked good afterward.

Now that everything is taped off, you are ready to paint. I do not suggest sanding, as it will only scratch the tail and not do you any good at all. Even when you put the next few coats on, don't sand, this will only ruin the paint job. My choice of paint was red Krylon Stained Glass:

this cost me about $6 a can and is fairly good. If you are smoking your tails I know Krylon makes the same stuff, but I suggest going to Wal-mart and checking it out or go ask your local auto paint store. Then go to a well ventilated area and begin painting, one small coat at a time. It took me a total of four coats to get the look that I wanted, and I don't think it looks that bad. That is, if you like it heavy. Allow twenty minutes drying time in between coats.

Once the tails are at the color you want it at, there are a few ways to put them back together. I put mine back in the oven at 260, this gave me more time to work with the glue, and still didn't damage the tails. I pulled it out every few minutes so I can't give you a good definite time on how long to keep them in there. Use it at your discretion, and you can use whatever you used to heat them up to put them back together, if you are using the glue already on it. If not, chip off all the glue/paste and buy some at wal-mart. I think when I painted the Honda tails a pack of glue only cost me $4. Either way, allow them to dry completely and put back on the car.

Then you're done!

Painting the Outside

Painting the outside is fairly easy, just like painting the inside, but it takes a bit more arm work.
After getting all the parts needed, your next step is to very carefully sand off the clear coat and any other paint on the tail using either 1500 grit or 600 grit. I suggest wet sanding it, and not dry sanding it.
Start off by using the 600, this will take off what you don't need and then use the 1500 for a nice clean finish, and don't forget to use small amounts of water while sanding. Then use rubbing alcohol to clean off the tails to make sure there is nothing on them when you paint it.

Next, tape off the areas you don't want to pain, and use an hobby knife or exacto knife and very carefully cut away excess tape, this is what I did with my reverse lights when painting the inside, and should do the same job on the outside.

Lay some newspaper, go to your neighbors porch or somewhere else where you can spray your tails, you can also put it in a cardboard box and spray it if you are inside. Now you are ready to paint. The brand of paint you use and where you get it is up to you. Testor's would be my brand of choice if I were going to pick one, get the color you want, and get a clear finish as well.

I suggest spraying in light even coats, this way you can stop painting when you want and get the results if you want. You can also spray heavy amounts, this will give you a thicker look and a glossier look but use at your discretion. Allow your tails to dry completely before putting on a clear coat, this will ensure the best look, and the clear will protect the color. Allow complete time to dry, and this varies depending on what brand of paint you use. Just check out the back of the can and it should tell you there.

Once completely dry, peel off the tape, and install back on your car.

And that should be it, enjoy!

Here are some night shots of my car, there were requested. The pics are bad and from a distance, so I'll have to take some at twilight so that you can see them better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 01, 2009 3:39 PM

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09

Re: HOW TO: Painting/Smoking your taillights
Saturday, August 01, 2009 3:46 PM
Nice

Saturday, August 01, 2009 7:48 PM
Sweet writeup! This would go great with the headlight paint mod as well. I vote for a sticky if anyone would like to chime in on this.
Sunday, August 02, 2009 3:09 AM
One of the few reasons I did this write up was because painting your tails are a bit different then painting your headlights.

And I was requested too

Sunday, August 02, 2009 4:49 AM
nice job.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:41 AM
I dig it...
Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:09 AM
thanks guys

Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:52 AM
Ashallee (Deviant Isis) wrote:

Ashallee (Deviant Isis) wrote:smoked/red/black paint

what exactly do you mean by smoked paint, red out paint and black out paint???

14.4 @ 101 Bradenton Motorsports Park 11/22/08
Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:08 PM
nice write up, recently Ive found that using window tint was much better as it would stay shiny afterwards and if you didnt like it or changed your mind you could just peal it off.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:12 AM
Blindz24 wrote:nice write up, recently Ive found that using window tint was much better as it would stay shiny afterwards and if you didnt like it or changed your mind you could just peal it off.

Thanks, and yes I agree, I would've rather just used the tint, but all I had with me was the stained glass paint, which worked rather well. So I figured I'd use what I have.

De Lara (Cortana) wrote:
Ashallee (Deviant Isis) wrote:

Ashallee (Deviant Isis) wrote:smoked/red/black paint

what exactly do you mean by smoked paint, red out paint and black out paint???

When I went to E&M Auto Paint, they said that those were my choices, so I just repeated what they said I guess. But what I meant was to pick the color of your choice whether you just want to smoke them red them out like I did or black them out, not all of them at once.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:02 PM
Another quick and easy way I do it is just scuff the taillights read good with a gray scotch brite pad and mix up some clear coat and then add a little bit of black paint and spray your taillights until it's as dark as you want. If it's not as shiny as you like then just mix up some more clearcoat and leave out the black. Easy and takes less than an hour...as long as you know how to paint good.

Monday, April 23, 2012 7:14 AM
I know this is a stupid question but will the clear coat give it more of a shine?
Monday, April 23, 2012 7:41 AM
You brought this back from the grave for that?

Clear + wet sand + buff + wax makes it shine...

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search