4hi mod - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4hi mod
Friday, April 20, 2012 9:19 PM
I want to do the 4 hi mod on my nephew 1998 cavalier if someone could help.

Re: 4hi mod
Friday, April 20, 2012 10:49 PM
What do you mean by ''4 hi''?
Saturday, April 21, 2012 3:03 AM
There is a post right at the top of the exterior forum labeled DEL disable and other headlights tricks... Read it, you will find the answer there.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:05 AM
SilvrSunfir wrote:What do you mean by ''4 hi''?

When he turns his high beams on, his low beams turn off. He wants his lows to stay on, I did this to my truck years ago, there should be a how to somewhere on here like stated above but basically use a relay so when high beams go on, it triggers the relay and powers up the low beams aswell. I have a 2000 cavalier(2 lamp system) so I don't know the wiring.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:44 PM
It is in the DRL faq. I did it to my car, Its pretty simple, You use all the GROUNDS of the headlights, this is different vs other cars that use + to turn lights on. we use a ground signal to turn them on.

Use a waterproof relay and harness prefferably, just go grab one from a car at the junk yard... I always grab them from old pontiac sunbirds cause there are 3 of them next to each other in the engine bay.

Use the high beam ground wire as the trigger, and whatever to the other side of the switch, its been a while since I have done it so I think you need a + source on the other side of the trigger? somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

use any ground for one side of the relay, the other side is the low beam negative. this will activate your low beams with your highs. You only need one relay also, it will piggyback from one headlight to the other.

I did this and had a problem with my DRL's flashing whenever I turned my car on, then they would just go out after a few seconds. i'm not sure what the problem was but I ended up un hooking the drls via the relay. Idk what years had/have this problem so you might not have to do it.
Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:47 PM
Is it possible for u to put up pics and how to do it form a- z I did on my Tahoe which only needed diode my older Tahoe just had to ground out the ground on driver low beam
Sunday, April 22, 2012 9:26 PM
I don't have pics, and don't know which wires are which by heart.. I'll tell you what I do know...

Use the high beam ground wire as your trigger. If your not sure which one it is, take a test light and test the two wires (with the lights on) the ground will do nothing and the positive will light up the test light. When the high beams are off the ground wire will actually be powered, just a FYI

You will need a ground source to run through the relay to the low beam ground, you can either make another ground wire, or piggy back the high beam ground again.

From there you need to wire the relay to the low beam ground, use the same procedure to find the low beam ground as the high beam.

The last thing is you will need a positive to go through the relay to trigger it. this can be taken from either high beam positive or low beam positive.

If you have any doubt about your ability to figure this out, then wait, read up.. (the DRL faq in the Exterior forum is a good read) or find somebody else you trust to do this help you.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search