Door sagging... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Door sagging...
Friday, April 27, 2012 5:12 PM
I've noticed my driver's side door is beginning to sag a little.
When I open it, it drops about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch.
Does anyone know... are there bushings in the hinge that can be replaced?
Or will I need to replace the entire hinge assembly?

Re: Door sagging...
Friday, April 27, 2012 8:44 PM
both my doors did that. the pins in the hinge eventually bend and warp from age. only way to fix it is to change them out. I cheated for a while and just adjusted the hinge up slightly but eventually I manned up and changed them out. Its nothing that you and a buddy couldnt do in your own driveway in a couple hours.

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Friday, April 27, 2012 11:42 PM
30 mins to change out the hinges lol. just go get a full replacement hinge from a newer sedan and swap it out. open the door and support the bottom outer edge with a floor jack or better yet your stock scissor jack. removed the old one and swap in the replacement. 1hr max i would say for one person. did it on my droptop using sedan hinges .

Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:01 AM
Alright, thanks for the input guys.
I guess I'll swap 'em out then.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:37 PM
Are sedan hinges better by any chance?

Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:50 PM
if your buying used ones from a wreakers, they probably have less wear, 2 door, doors are very heavy, its a common thing to wear out. I never knew they interchanged though, thats good to know....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 11:38 AM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:Are sedan hinges better by any chance?

have to be.. only reason the coupe's wear out so badly is because the door's weight an astronomical 70 something pounds and are long. sedan's are what... HALF the length? not so much "lever" weight if you will...

i bought new driver side one's from gm before, i think they were like $80 bucks iirc. sucks because you gotta paint match em but really, nothing a $35 dollar can of your color's exact code mixed from your local parts warehouse can't fix and make look just as good as OEM, though.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 11:45 AM
Napa sells a pin and bushing set for the drivers door.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, May 01, 2012 8:16 PM
Cool, thanks.
I did some more searching myself too, and RockAuto has the pin/bushing set also.
They're only about $17 shipped, so I might just give that a shot first.
If they don't help then I'll swap the entire hinge.
Thanks for all the input/info guys.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:57 AM
My pin and bushing set lasted about 5 years. I actually need another set since the drivers door is starting to sag again.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:38 AM
Ok so i found this a while ago and tried it and its been almost 2 months now and still hasn't sagged yet...so if you don't got money and trying to pay for school or whatever the case be this works and doesn't cost a dime ..before anyone ask the question yes it works on other gm models with this similar hinge design like venture,montana and other models ..enjoy

http://bowtieguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Bodies&action=display&thread=271

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search