vinyl roof wrap - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
vinyl roof wrap
Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:06 AM
so i have a white 99 sunfire gt and ive been wanting to paint my roof black for a while. but my fiance has talked me out of painting it for resale purposes (hopefully not for a long time, i think its an awesome little car). so i ordered a 5x5 sheet of gloss black vinyl for twenty five bucks, i figure its cheaper then painting it, and if i screw up or change my mind later on its easier to undo then paint, so my question is how hard is it to do a roof wrap. i have a sunroof and i am basically just doing the center skin of the roof, from the windsheild to the rear window, and from the drivers side weatherstrip to the pass. side. has anyone done this before, im assuming it will be like putting on a huge a$$ decal, just work slow and squeegie it from one end to the other, correct me if im wrong, thoughts and input welcome and appreciated!

Re: vinyl roof wrap
Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:00 AM
pics please i like the vinyl wrapz online been wanting my roof as well as hood n trunk done

Modding my j since I found the org
Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:04 AM
If u use true wrap vinyl it's eazy all u need is a heat gun some magnets a credit card should only take about 15 mins to do the roof it's the bumpers that are a pain in the but I'll be wraping my whole car soon

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:41 AM
The roof, being a nice flat surface, shouldn't be too hard at all. Really just use a lot of patience and it should come out great, there are a ton of guys doing this these days. Just make sure you get cleans cuts, or it could look bad pretty quick. Good luck and make sure to post some pics!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:13 AM
cool thanks i will be posting pics for sure! my next question is what would be better? to cut out the sunroof exactly so the vinyl goes right to the edge or to do some relief cuts and try and roll the vinyl down the edge into the sunroof opening? the guy i ordered the stuff through said it would take him about an hour to do the roof but i figure with a good friend or two and some beers itll go quicker then that.
Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:22 AM
If you want it done right, make it take 10 hours.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:02 PM
roll it down so it doesnt curl up

Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:29 AM
I hope the material you ordered is the correct material. There are different vinyls for certain jobs and installation can be easy or it can be a nightmare depending on the type of material.

Installation should not take more than 1 hour, Patience is key in doing it cleanly. Use a fresh blade to trim, Not a pocket knife or a dull xacto.

Good luck and post some photos when finished!

Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:11 PM
Check out the thread in photos and media. I did my trunk lid in 2 hours and its a bit of a convex curve so it required some heat to shrink the vinyl. I suggest mixing some water and dish soap in a spray bottle and evenly coating the roof so you can work the bubbles out easier.

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:59 AM
nobody is remarking about the fact his fiance is worried about resale value on a 99 sunfire? the $500 bucks you;d get out of it is the same probalby no matter what color the roof is. a car that old isn't going to have a resale value so don't let that stop you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, August 15, 2011 1:03 PM
it should be the right material seeing as i ordered it from a business here in town that specializes in vehicle wraps, i was wondering about using soapy water to work the bubbles out similar to doing window tint but wont it affect the adhesive on the vinyl? and sndsgood, my friend just sold his 98 gt with 240,xxx km for $3200 and it had a stock stereo and manual windows, ect. and theres a white 99 vert down my street for $3800. my 99 gt has 217,xxx km, sunroof, full load, power group, absolutely no rust and remarkable good paint for its age. i guess they're worth alot more here when there in decent shape (southern b.c.) the only ones ive seen for 5 hundy are rusted out broken down sheat heaps. and resale aside, like i mentioned earlier its still much easier and cost effective then paint and mush easier to "undo" down the road if i change my mind or if it gets scratched or whatever.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:05 AM
man people are seriously paying way to much for cavaliers in your neck of the woods. i dont disagree with the cost effective part.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:32 AM
in for info, and i second the question wont the soap and water interfere with the adhesion of the vinyl

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:48 AM
True vehicle wrap vinyl has air egress channels that allow you to lay it, reposition it and lay again without bubbles. The adhesive should look textured like small circles or hexagons. If it doesn't, you were sold generic regular vinyl that would need soapy water to install it bubble free in the large of a area. No soapy water doesn't effect the adhesive, it allows for repositioning when applying vinyl for a bubble free install. Just get the shop to do it you bought the stuff from, Woulda been easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:50 AM

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:12 PM
ahh i see, im not sure what it is then i didnt look that closely at the sample he had on hand, im thinking it will be the right stuff cause hes done a few full vinyl wraps that look really sharp but well see when it gets here (should be end of this week). and the reason i didnt get him to put it on is a) i am pretty hands on and im not gonna learn if someone else does it, B) when people admire something on my car i like to be able to say "i did that" not "joe blow at the shop did that" and c) im a cheap ass haha.

at the very least i think for twenty five bucks and a case of beer its a good learning experience and a chance to chill with some friends.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:24 PM
Cody Shaw wrote:at the very least i think for twenty five bucks and a case of beer its a good learning experience and a chance to chill with some friends.

True.. I'm sure that having a couple beers will make it go on much better......

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:42 PM
Lol

Friday, August 19, 2011 10:39 AM
Obviously you've never had a beer. lol all kidding aside I just got a call that my vinyl is in so probably picking it up this afternoon not sure if itl be done this weekend cause my fiance and I and some friends are all doing a roady on saturday! Woot! But ill keep yall updated
Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:21 PM

Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:36 PM
sndsgood wrote:nobody is remarking about the fact his fiance is worried about resale value on a 99 sunfire? the $500 bucks you;d get out of it is the same probalby no matter what color the roof is. a car that old isn't going to have a resale value so don't let that stop you.

It wouldn't change the resale anyways since some J's came from the factory with a black roof.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:30 AM
Just make sure you wash the roof and surrounding area very well before applying the vinyl. If you get dirt on the adhesive, it won't stick very well.

Roofs are pretty quick. I did the roof of a 2011 camry in about 15 minutes. I was lucky enough to not have to worry about a sun roof though.

I have about 20' of car.wrap in the garage left over from a training. I've thought about wrapping parts of the car for giggles.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, August 26, 2011 7:19 AM
I take it you just drank the beer and didn't do the roof?

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:45 PM
lol

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:13 PM
Copter wrote:I take it you just drank the beer and didn't do the roof?

Friday, August 26, 2011 9:38 PM
funny. roofs been done since last saturday just been busy with life havent been online in a while, pics comming soon, tried to put one up the other day but i see that it didnt work
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search