How do your repair cracked carbon fiber? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How do your repair cracked carbon fiber?
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:20 AM
Any suggestions for fixing cracks in a carbon fiber hood? I'm ready to clear coat but I want to repair these first. The one on the right is slightly larger than a quarter.

Re: How do your repair cracked carbon fiber?
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:45 AM
That doesn't look like the carbon fiber is cracked. It looks like the clear is cracked. Carbon fiber doesn't crack in straight lines. When carbon fiber cracks it looks like it is a torn fabric.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:49 AM
I didn't mean to say it the way I did in the title, I know the carbon isn't cracked. How do you repair the cracks in the hood? They are pretty deep so I don't think a coat of clear will help.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:57 AM
wet sand and clear....it wont repair them persay, but wet sanding the whole hood and clearing it should let the clear coat seap into those ares essentally repairing it and making the crack nearly if not all the way invisible

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:43 PM
That was the original plan.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:31 PM
You may have to wet sand and clear a few times if the cracks are too deep. You do not want to sand down to the carbon fiber as it will not be sealed. If you sand down to the carbon fiber you may fog the whole hood. it will look hazy because moister will soak into it. Same thing happens with fiberglass if it is not sealed correctly. Think of your hood as a piece of cloth covered by glass. If you crack it, it will absorb moister. I see it all the time on Honda Once that happens, I do not think it can be fixed.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search