DDM Tuning HID kit - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DDM Tuning HID kit
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:18 AM
I've been reading up on the kit up here and everyone says i need to disable my DRL in order for them to work. I have an 01 cavalier but projectors from a 99. I installed the kit and they work fine even though i haven't disabled my DRLs. anyone know whats up with that? should i still do the DRL disable?

Re: DDM Tuning HID kit
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:58 AM
They'll probably continue to work fine until either the ballast dies from dirty power or your stock wires burn/melt.
You don't need to disable them to work but you need to disable them to work safely.

Plus think of it this way: less strain on your electrical system during the day!
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:21 PM
for 00+ you would have to as the DRL is in that bulb, with the 95-99 the DRL is the highbeam, unless you have the highs as HID as well, then you're fine.

I need a new sig.
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:09 PM
Not to intentionally piggy back, but might as well consolidate some TS issues in one post...I also am doing this, and I've got an issue if anyone might now....
Ive been trying to install the DDM Tuning HID 9007 hi/low kit in my 04 Cavalier, and I havent disabled the DRL yet. It seems like a very easy procedure though, so Ill be doing that very soon.

But has anyone had a problem with the kit actually installing? I cant get the bulb to securely stay in the housing so the retainer ring will hold it in...the stocker fits into the grooves perfectly, but the HID bulb doesnt, it just butts up against the ridge, then the locking ring (retainer ring) turns and holds it up against the housing. Mine is too thick, I cant get it to stay on. I broke a set of rings already, luckily found a set of headlights locally for $40!!! with all the parts and in great shape. So I dont want to break those too...anyone have this problem?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:51 PM
see thats what i was wondering about because the DRLs are through the highbeams and it would seem like theyre wired parallel rather than in series so the ballast shouldnt be getting a charge until i turn my lights on right? either way i fully intend to buy and install a relay harness when i get paid on the 14th as a safety precaution. so that should cure the problem of potentially burning wires righ? so disabling my DRLs isnt necessary even as a safety procaution?
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 9:53 PM
oh yea, my HIDs arent the highbeams they are my lows
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:24 PM
well..i figured out my problem already after 2 days lol...they have a rubber ring/washer on the base of the HID bulb (upper part that comes off to install the retainer ring)...it looks like its supposed to be there, but its not. Now both HID bulbs installed fine.

They also included a second wiring harness..Im guessing the original is for the low beam only, but the braided/fancier one with more connections is for the high/low hookup..so now i have a low beam harness for an HID kit i wont need..what a waste!

Now I just dont know what to do with those three free wires and the blue connector end...1st pic below....there is also the HID flat boxes in the 2nd pic that i dont know what to do with, do i just leave them hanging or sitting in there? I cant believe they'd sell you something you dont have a way of securing....

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:36 PM
@blu04DD the rubber thing... you mean the o-ring? if so thats supposed to be there. keeps water out of your headlights..

the second pic is your ballast. the plug from your harness is supposed to plug into it
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 11:33 PM
PIC#1: no not the rubber ring that is like 3-4"...pic 1 below is what you're talking about i think, that plastic cap you have to drill through and stick that grommet in there from the HID kit..they dont mention that either lol..
PIC#2: the clear rubber ring on the bottom of the part you take off, to insert the retainer ring..it acts as a washer like its supposed to be there, but you have to take it off or the retainer ring wont fit over it...
PIC#3: provided both harnesses..they should have kept the LOW harness and credited me money..not charged $15 for the HI/LOW when I dont need the LOW lol...
PIC#4: just for fun

Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:06 PM
Im wondering though, if that seconds harness is the 'relay' and the one with more wiring is the hi/low 'upgrade' from the standard low.
god i love the lack of instructions from companies lol...

Sunday, October 09, 2011 1:24 PM
Everything you need to know is on their website. They have plenty of instructions on there. It's cheaper for them to not have to pay a company to print them out just so we can throw them away.

If you paid the $15 extra, you bought the hi/low kit that has special bulbs as noted in your picture.

The day mine arrived in the mail, I went online looked up the 9007 hi/low wiring instructions and had it all mocked up on my desk at work in less then 5 minutes.

The blue plug you showed above is what plugs into your factory harness. The 3 pins shown in the same picture get put into the blue plug in he corresponding locations. They have the 9007 pin diagram online.

Hids are very easy to hook up. I'm not sure why so many people have issues. The plugs are all made to plug in only 1 way.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, October 09, 2011 2:18 PM
Yeah once I actually plugged it all up on my desk garage floor as a mock up, it made sense.
The only thing I dont get is I guess the blue connector and 3wires go into the driver side harness that would normally plug into the driver side headlight housing. So this leaves both housings and both side headlight wires just 'there' unconnected. I ended up stuffing them into the back of the headlight cap (that I had to drill so the HID housing would fit). So its all ready to go, I just have to figure out what im gonna hook the positive/grounds to to be the most secure. My battery terminals are those crappy side-types that have large bolt thickness and the harness has smaller eye holes..so I bought some bigger eye holes, and Ill cut the DDM prepped ones off and splice in a bigger eye-hole to put on the battery positive terminal.

I have pics of how I had to do everything which I'll post when Im all done...And the instructions on DDM's website is generic at best, its for a non-relay harnessed Xterra that has no covers over the headlight housing like CAvaliers have. No biggie, just had to figure it out myself. Unless you know of a link to a better PDF they have...And they dont have to print anything, they can do a FREE write up thats generic, but also include 'the optional relay harness' and 'ballast connections. To someone who doesnt do a lot of electrical, it was Greek to me at first until I started really looking at everything.

How did you mount your ballasts? did you ziptie them to the frame somewhere? or just leave them hanging...

Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:56 PM
so im still not really sure if the DRL disable is really necessary...

blu04DD wrote:How did you mount your ballasts? did you ziptie them to the frame somewhere? or just leave them hanging...

yea i ziptied mine to the the frame until i can get my hands on some good double sided tape.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:52 PM
DDM sells brackets to mount the ballasts.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:09 AM
well DDM didnt bother trying to sell them, so thats a fail on their part lol...
I just ziptied them, they rest nice and flat on the frame underneathe the headlight without touching.
The wiring was all taken care of as I used the smaller positive connection on the fuse box. then I drilled (then sanded) the frame above the headlight and grounded both sides to that nice and neat..

but I now have a problem with the driver side ballast, it buzzes until it warms up, but then it seems to still do it slightly. The passenger side doesnt at all. It doesnt sound right, but then again its my first HID kit.
also, now Im having issues with the hi's not working, even though the indicator comes on now all the time, and today my lights wouldnt turn off so i had to disconnect my neg terminal wire when i came to work. this is after they were working perfectly fine for a day or two and went untouched. DDM trouble ticket has been submitted!

but on a positive note, these are 10,000x better than any halogens ive had, they work great and i dont seem to blind anyone, they are pointed properly and adjusted just right

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:17 PM
They are on the same page.. You should tell them that they should inform buyers that they carry them

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 12:22 PM
QUESTION!

Do i buy the 35/55
I'm buying the 9007 hi/low kit
And the harness

Do I still have to disable my DRLs?

thanks for the help just wanted to get some answers.

2004 cavalier

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:28 PM
^
^ ^
^ | ^
^ | ^
|
|

What he said.

Should i buy the 35W or 55W.

Thank ya
Friday, July 13, 2012 1:03 PM
I think you're referring to a problem with some vehicles assuming that a bulb is missing once you install the HID kit. Thats because some HID kits don't come with necessary components like a resistor to make your car computer think there is an incandescent bulb in there. If you're not getting any problems yet, don't do anything. You must have gotten a good HID kit. By the way, my favorite HID kit website is ultrabrightlights.com.
Friday, July 13, 2012 2:08 PM
go away

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Monday, August 13, 2012 1:09 PM
Cavy01 wrote:What he said.

Should i buy the 35W or 55W.

Thank ya

Get the 35W. 55W ballasts are not that much brighter and they kill the life of your bulbs. You can expect about 1,000 hours of life if you get a 55W ballast.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search