Carbon Fiber repair - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Carbon Fiber repair
Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:28 PM
So theres a guy in our local club that is selling his carbon fiber EVO hood, which is exactly what Im looking for. Its perfect for a supercharged eco and I can get it cheap.

However, the very corner of the hood is broken off. There is also a small chip in the front, near the center. Can these be fixed? What about the part of the hood that is going to be painted to match the color of the car anyways?

I want a hood thats lightweight and dissipates heat really well. But now that Ive seen the hood and know that its broken (though in an easily over looked spot) I am worried that repainting it wont be enough. Other than the corner missing (like a 1/2" of the tip) and that chip, its in good shape and would look killer on my arrival blue car.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: Carbon Fiber repair
Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:59 PM
im sure you could fiberglass it provided you planned to paint the damaged area's. Mine had the lower driver point by the headlight cracked and fixed and painted over.... worth looking into if the hood is cheap enough

Saturday, September 15, 2012 2:24 PM
Carbon fiber can be fixed just like traditional fiberglass. So that being said its easy to fix. Only thing is you cannot fix it and make it look like the old carbon so you will have to paint the areas that were repaired.
Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:29 PM
thanks for the input guys...Ill see what it'll run me to get it fixed. I have to actually get the 'tip' of the passenger side by the windshield put back on (i dont have the broken part), so its not just 'filling a hole' with fiberglass. Someone will actually have to mold that piece as best they can.

it'll all depend on the price. I am getting the hood repainted anyways (its silver right now) if i get it, to make it arrival blue (then leaving the center CF).

if he goes cheap enough, ill pick it up...thanks again guys! ill post pics if i get it.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:40 PM
Its very easy to make missing parts out of fiberglass.

Its as simple as grinding the area down, make a backing of a sort ( I use a few layers of masking tape), apply resin/mat, roll out and allow to dry, cut and grind to desired shape.

Ive done a couple hoods with the same issue. Its not bad.
Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:39 AM
my other option is to just not worry about it as its just the tip of the hood that hardley anyone would see and its not hindering performance. I just dont want it getting worse and being a perfectionist it would bother me lol.
Ill see if he'll take less for it since its going to require more work other than simply repainting.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search