Dent in Rear Quarter Panel - Can I Access It From Inside? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dent in Rear Quarter Panel - Can I Access It From Inside?
Thursday, May 01, 2008 8:15 AM
Some a$$hole decided to open his door really hard on my rear quarter panel and put a nice dent in my rear quarter panel on the drivers side just below the small window.

The dent is mid way down soooooo, I was wondering if I remove the seat and remove the inner panel/seat belt if I can get access to it from the inside and try and pop it out the best I can.

It's not a huge dent. Probably about 6-8 inches long like a line. Not a popped in dent.

Does anyone have pictures of the area below the window with the panel removed? Any information would be appriciated.

Re: Dent in Rear Quarter Panel - Can I Access It From Inside?
Thursday, May 01, 2008 8:56 AM
you should be able to access it from inside. trying to remember what the bracing looks like as mine has multiple layers of fatmat and havent seen the true structure in a few years

Thursday, May 01, 2008 9:30 AM
i know the guy that does the dents at the dealer i work at has a drill bit that makes a small hole and can push and make it wider and then he uses a long metal bar with a flat head on it and pops it back out.

5 seconds to find another street...

Thursday, May 01, 2008 9:54 AM
Casper wrote:i know the guy that does the dents at the dealer i work at has a drill bit that makes a small hole and can push and make it wider and then he uses a long metal bar with a flat head on it and pops it back out.

and how does he seal the hole he just drilled?

Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:08 AM
Joey,

thanks for the reply. I guess maybe this weekend ill pull things apart and see if I can get at it. I'm sure hoping I can. It's not to noticable if the car is dirty but when it's clean then you can see it.

Ill post some pictures up this weekend. but does anyone have any pics the inner panel removed?
Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:46 AM
dont quote me on this 100%, because i'll have to recheck the differences between coupes and verts, but most likely you wont be able to get to it from the inside unless its far enough back that you can get to it from the trunk.

now keep in mind that the verts have extra bracing in them, but im still pretty sure the GM collision repair manual (post in this forum...search for it) had a picture with the same layout for a coupe. here is what my drop top quarter looked like.

as you can see, there is plenty of space between the quarter's exterior skin and the inner bracing of the car itself.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 10:56 AM
That is a great picture. Looks like I might be able to get at the dent. I'm searching for the repair manual now.
Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:52 PM
he takes a plug and sticks it in. ( the plug is made of plastic, i have seen some people use them to cover holes were there spoiler was )

5 seconds to find another street...

Thursday, May 01, 2008 1:41 PM
Casper wrote:he takes a plug and sticks it in. ( the plug is made of plastic, i have seen some people use them to cover holes were there spoiler was )

*wft so he leaves a plastic plug to fill in the hole?

not good at all. that will eventually rust.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 3:05 PM
you have a coupe....?? so do i... i have some jerk kick my rear quarter panel in...

here's a pic of mine:

can you access it from in side... yes, some. the pic posted earlier is not exactly the same for coupes.
i had to take the back seats out, unhook the seat belts, and remove the panel. because the majority of the dent was closer to the door for me, i could only get to some of it from inside. I was able to push probably half of the dent out. the worst part of the crease was behind bracing (like perfectly located in the wrong place) and couldnt get any leverage on it.

any questions, pm me.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 6:49 PM
ummmm paintless dent repair is not going to fix that, looks like the front edge of the 1/4 will need to be pulled alittle bit out as well, you will need to take it to a shop to have it fixed

can i haz bondo

Thursday, May 01, 2008 8:16 PM
check and check.... already done

...actually i did it myself

Friday, May 02, 2008 7:54 AM
I will be doing this tomorrow pending it stops raining long enough to get outside. Ill post pictures up of before/after
Saturday, September 15, 2012 12:34 PM

Saturday, September 15, 2012 12:35 PM
oops wrong forum
Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:49 PM
i have question instead of making another post i thought i ask in here how do you take the quater panel off a 4 door cavalier?
Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:43 AM
david wrote:i have question instead of making another post i thought i ask in here how do you take the quater panel off a 4 door cavalier?

we talking the rear? its not like it bolts on. its attached to the unibody with tac welds and such.
Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:42 AM
yea i talking about the rear quater panel cause the one on my cavlier is all dent up and i was just see how hard it would be to replace it.
Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:23 PM
well you can do it if you have the tools.. tabs up there ^^ replaced that one on his drop top. its just alot of drilling to get the spot welds out, and then anywhere its creased or sealed together.. i'm not quite sure. also might be different for a 4dr i'm not too sure.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search