My 2002 Sunfire / Opinions / Suggestions - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 2002 Sunfire / Opinions / Suggestions
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:07 PM
Hey all, just showing off my fairly stock 2002 sunfire. I haven't really spent much on it, as I only really plan on keeping it until I can buy something a bit nicer :p. But I still love this thing. Just wondering your guys' opinions on it, and any other cheap mods I could do to it.

Mods so far are: - 2001 cavalier trunk lid w/ spoiler - Cavalier tailights - Plasti Dipped Lights - Home Made Shifter Knob - Reverse Lock Delete - New Fan Resistor - Full Speaker System - Exhaust Tips - Debadged

My thoughts to do: - Carbon Wrap Interior Trim - Evil Eye Hood Mod -Shaved Door Handles or Colour Match Handles.

I'd love to know what you think!

Re: My 2002 Sunfire / Opinions / Suggestions
Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:34 AM
I would black out the pontiac logo. A good vinyl shop should be able to cut you a black one, with the little star and stroke on the logo to match the car. They may have some silver that you can use to cover the doorhandles to match the car. That would be cheaper than painting them and will probably look better too.

I don't think the 95-99 style spoiler matches the flow of the car as well as a 2K Z24 one would.
Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:08 PM
I had a spoiler-less Cavalier trunk lid and taillights (I tinted the Cavalier taillights red so they blended in with the rest of the taillights) on my 2002 Sunfire SE Sedan. It looked pretty good, but if I had the chance to do it over again, I think I'd go with a spoiler-less Sunfire Sedan trunk lid and just color match the trunk panel and the edges of the outer taillights for a cleaner, more Sunfire-y look.

I'm glad to see you have removed the badges since it's always a great, free mod to start with. I would also suggest removing the side moldings for an even cleaner look.

I have never been a big fan of carbon fiber, so I say no to that in the interior. There are some other easy things you can do to dress up the interior though. I swapped the tan headliner in my Sunfire Sedan for a graphite one with visors, etc. from a 1995-1997 Cavalier/Sunfire Sedan so the entire interior was graphite which made a huge difference. I also swapped the dash pad (the upper part of the dash) for one from a 2003-2005 Sunfire which has round vents and looks much better. I also swapped the steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake handle for leather wrapped ones from a 1995-2002 Sunfire GT. These are all things that can easily be found in a junkyard or on eBay, Craig's List, etc. and will really add a nice touch to your interior while still keeping a clean, subtle look.

I would definitely recommend the evil eye hood. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to do this mod to either one of my Sunfires, but it certainly changes the entire look of the front end and really makes it look, well... evil!

Unless you're going for an all out show car, I would just color match the door handles. It's not that expensive and any body shop should be able to do it for you. This was another thing I had done on my Sunfire Sedan and again, it made a huge difference in the overall appearance of the exterior of the car. I would also recommend color matching the outer parts of the side mirrors to add a little more color to the exterior.

As far as the arrowhead badge on the front bumper cover, I completely removed mine. It's held on with double sided tape and once removed, it leaves an indentation in the shape of the arrowhead which IMO matches the Pontiac and Sunfire indentations in the front and rear bumper covers perfectly.

Check out my registry page for my 2002 Sunfire Sedan to see what else I did to it. Let me know if you want to see any picures or if I can give you any other advice, info, etc.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:17 PM
vibenvy wrote:I had a spoiler-less Cavalier trunk lid and taillights (I tinted the Cavalier taillights red so they blended in with the rest of the taillights) on my 2002 Sunfire SE Sedan. It looked pretty good, but if I had the chance to do it over again, I think I'd go with a spoiler-less Sunfire Sedan trunk lid and just color match the trunk panel and the edges of the outer taillights for a cleaner, more Sunfire-y look.

I'm glad to see you have removed the badges since it's always a great, free mod to start with. I would also suggest removing the side moldings for an even cleaner look.

I have never been a big fan of carbon fiber, so I say no to that in the interior. There are some other easy things you can do to dress up the interior though. I swapped the tan headliner in my Sunfire Sedan for a graphite one with visors, etc. from a 1995-1997 Cavalier/Sunfire Sedan so the entire interior was graphite which made a huge difference. I also swapped the dash pad (the upper part of the dash) for one from a 2003-2005 Sunfire which has round vents and looks much better. I also swapped the steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake handle for leather wrapped ones from a 1995-2002 Sunfire GT. These are all things that can easily be found in a junkyard or on eBay, Craig's List, etc. and will really add a nice touch to your interior while still keeping a clean, subtle look.

I would definitely recommend the evil eye hood. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to do this mod to either one of my Sunfires, but it certainly changes the entire look of the front end and really makes it look, well... evil!

Unless you're going for an all out show car, I would just color match the door handles. It's not that expensive and any body shop should be able to do it for you. This was another thing I had done on my Sunfire Sedan and again, it made a huge difference in the overall appearance of the exterior of the car. I would also recommend color matching the outer parts of the side mirrors to add a little more color to the exterior.

As far as the arrowhead badge on the front bumper cover, I completely removed mine. It's held on with double sided tape and once removed, it leaves an indentation in the shape of the arrowhead which IMO matches the Pontiac and Sunfire indentations in the front and rear bumper covers perfectly.

Check out my registry page for my 2002 Sunfire Sedan to see what else I did to it. Let me know if you want to see any picures or if I can give you any other advice, info, etc.

I personally really like the subtle lip on the cav trunk lid, so i think i am going to hold on to that one.

Badges is one of the first ones I did. I really enjoy the clean look of a car, and making it clean, fresh and simple is one of my main goals. With that being said, I am seriously considering removing the side moldings. (ones along the door, correct?) I just wasnt sure if they actually came off. I'll probably just use the heat gun and fishing line like i did with the badges. I am also looking into the graphite coloured headliner. It would be a really nice touch. Steering wheel as well.

As for the door handles, i agree that shaved is to much for a cheap daily driver like my own, so colour match is the way im gonna go.

Thanks for all the input man!
Wednesday, July 03, 2013 4:21 PM
So i took a look at your page, and am also curious on how you managed to remove the rear window stoppers! Im sure i could figure it out myself, but if you got any tips lemme know!
Monday, July 08, 2013 8:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNg4KWSS7k ...theres a part 2 and enjoy
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:40 PM
Carl Messerhuber wrote:I personally really like the subtle lip on the cav trunk lid, so i think i am going to hold on to that one.

Badges is one of the first ones I did. I really enjoy the clean look of a car, and making it clean, fresh and simple is one of my main goals. With that being said, I am seriously considering removing the side moldings. (ones along the door, correct?) I just wasnt sure if they actually came off. I'll probably just use the heat gun and fishing line like i did with the badges. I am also looking into the graphite coloured headliner. It would be a really nice touch. Steering wheel as well.

As for the door handles, i agree that shaved is to much for a cheap daily driver like my own, so colour match is the way im gonna go.

Thanks for all the input man!

So i took a look at your page, and am also curious on how you managed to remove the rear window stoppers! Im sure i could figure it out myself, but if you got any tips lemme know!

Yes, the side moldings are held on with double sided tape, just like the badges. They're a PITA to remove because they're so long and they leave so much residue behind, but it's well worth the trouble once they're off.

As I said in my previous post, definitely check out local junkyards for the graphite headliner and steering wheel. Check out car-part.com to find junkyards near you and see what they have.

Glad to hear you'll be color matching the door handles. It's something small and easy that will make a huge difference in the overall exterior appearance.

Just an FYI... I'm a girl !

Removing the rear window stoppers is easy. I don't remember the specifics because I haven't had my Sunfire Sedan since 2009, but in short, you remove the rear door panels and than remove the big foam block that stops the windows from going all the way down. Very simple. Should only take a few minutes per door.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to see any pictures of my former Sunfires, etc. I look forward to seeing what you do with 'fire !

Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:11 AM
vibenvy wrote:
Yes, the side moldings are held on with double sided tape, just like the badges. They're a PITA to remove because they're so long and they leave so much residue behind, but it's well worth the trouble once they're off.

As I said in my previous post, definitely check out local junkyards for the graphite headliner and steering wheel. Check out car-part.com to find junkyards near you and see what they have.

Glad to hear you'll be color matching the door handles. It's something small and easy that will make a huge difference in the overall exterior appearance.

Just an FYI... I'm a girl !

Removing the rear window stoppers is easy. I don't remember the specifics because I haven't had my Sunfire Sedan since 2009, but in short, you remove the rear door panels and than remove the big foam block that stops the windows from going all the way down. Very simple. Should only take a few minutes per door.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to see any pictures of my former Sunfires, etc. I look forward to seeing what you do with 'fire !

I got rid of the side moldings and the window stoppers the other day. Both were pretty easy tbh. Now I'm gonna go look for some colour match paint!

Well, excuse me for assuming you where a guy haha! Props to you for being good with cars though, I'm impressed!

Next thing on the mod list is to do the dual exhaust off of the GT. I got a hold of one for 30 bucks, gonna get it welded/clamped at a shop, and then cut off those ugly oval exhaust tips lool. I know the whole setup should bolt right on, so shouldn't take long.

Post some pics of your sunfire!
Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:10 PM
If i was you i would chged the rear bumper th a gt 99 n get it lowerd
Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:41 PM
Carl Messerhuber wrote:I got rid of the side moldings and the window stoppers the other day. Both were pretty easy tbh. Now I'm gonna go look for some colour match paint!

Well, excuse me for assuming you where a guy haha! Props to you for being good with cars though, I'm impressed!

Next thing on the mod list is to do the dual exhaust off of the GT. I got a hold of one for 30 bucks, gonna get it welded/clamped at a shop, and then cut off those ugly oval exhaust tips lool. I know the whole setup should bolt right on, so shouldn't take long.

Post some pics of your sunfire!

Nice! That was quick! Post some updated pictures now! I look forward to seeing the mirrors and handles painted.

It's okay. I'm used to everyone assuming I'm a guy around here . Afterall, I've been a member for 10.5 years now. Thanks for the props !

I look forward to seeing what the GT dual exhaust looks like on a Sedan. I'm not a fan of the oval style tips either. I prefer the look of the OEM dual exhaust with round tips on the 2002 Sunfire GTs.

I am working on getting all of my Sunfire pictures uploaded to a single site so I can just give you the link.

issac valdez99 wrote:If i was you i would chged the rear bumper th a gt 99 n get it lowerd

A 1995-1999 Sunfire GT rear bumper won't work because he has a Sedan. I do agree about lowering it though. I had KYB AGXs and Eibach Pro Kit springs (1.4") on my Sedan and it looked great and rode pretty well too.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 12:35 AM
Wait... plasti dipped LIGHTS?

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:09 PM
vibenvy wrote:
Nice! That was quick! Post some updated pictures now! I look forward to seeing the mirrors and handles painted.

It's okay. I'm used to everyone assuming I'm a guy around here . Afterall, I've been a member for 10.5 years now. Thanks for the props !

I look forward to seeing what the GT dual exhaust looks like on a Sedan. I'm not a fan of the oval style tips either. I prefer the look of the OEM dual exhaust with round tips on the 2002 Sunfire GTs.

I am working on getting all of my Sunfire pictures uploaded to a single site so I can just give you the link.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days after I get it painted. I am also considering going a matte grey on the hub caps. I don't really like the silver.

As for the exhaust it might be a while before i get it put on. I am looking for an actual 2002 kit so i don't have to do as much hacking.

FlatFire wrote:Wait... plasti dipped LIGHTS?
Yes Sir, looks good and has held up really well.
Saturday, August 24, 2013 9:47 PM
Well... The day has come. A sunfire sedan with dual exhaust. Bolted rights up and is a really nice OEM+ touch. Seems to have more top end / high rpm pull, maybe more flow. Looks good though!

Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:20 PM

Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:14 PM
Can't see the pictures .

Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:08 PM
Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:01 PM
Looks good! Makes me miss my Sunfire Sedan though .

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search