purchased paint, and it didn't match the color - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
purchased paint, and it didn't match the color
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:12 PM
I have a 2004 cavalier sunburst orange metallic 2, this one

I checked my spare tire cover, and the color code was U913L

according to many website, the color code is 56/WA913L

I bought this, and it didn't match the color of my car WTF I don't remember the name of the website i bought, it was like 2 years ago, since I gave up on buying paint

anyone else has the sunburst orange, where can I get a fuking legit touchup paint that actually matches the car

Re: purchased paint, and it didn't match the color
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:32 PM
Gm you'll probably have to order it.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:31 PM
They match the u913l is the GM number
And the wa913l is th same, but the wa is to differential it by paint manufacture.

Your paint may be faded, that's why it doesn't match. Or there can be variations on the color only a body shop can match.

Advise is go to a body shop and have me mix you a touch up bottle.

But anytime you touch something up it will look bad, I worked in a body shop for years.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:51 PM
I am looking right at my tiny little 15 dollar can from the dealer. It matches ok. It really depends on what you are trying to cover.
I believe the PN is E12346722. Eventually I'm going to go and have the whole car resprayed.

Bit in all likelyhood...Paint is faded.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:02 PM
When you touch up, most of the time it will not look ok. In your case, your paint might be faded like Snowman mentioned, or it could be that you have to let the paint dry and cure for it to match or at least come close to it. It sounds like you bought the correct paint.
Did you purchase a touch-up pen, spray can, or something else? And, what did you touch-up?
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:13 PM

It also depends on what you are painting too. The grill is retouched on my car. It came blue from the junkyard. It looks almost stock. There is a texture difference, and it's not as glossy as the hood is. A layer of clear and some buff and it could look as good as the hood. I'm not real worried because Im getting it re painted in a few years.
Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:30 AM
To be able to cut, buff, polish, wax and end up with a nicely shinning product is why I like to nicely spray 2-3 coats of paint and 2-3 coats of clear on those parts I paint. In other words, I spray those 2-3 layers to get rid of the orange peel, most of the time.
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:48 PM
i bought a little can which came with clearcoat

used a little brush

the thing is, the paint i bought, is lighter than my car's paint, so it looks like crap now

i don't know if my car's color faded or what, it looks the same color as the picture
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:53 PM
You need to take your car somewhere and have it scanned by their color machine, then they can mix you up an identical match.

Friday, September 20, 2013 4:53 PM
there are different tint to each paint code as well, ran into this with my cheyenne red cavalier. Like 14 tints of the same color.
Friday, September 20, 2013 6:22 PM
Something everyone forgots about touch up paint.
If you put it on with a brush, the flake won't lay in the same direction as the rest of the car and can make the color look darker or lighter, even if the paint code is the same.

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:11 PM
Last time I looked up the color code for my car there were 13 variations. All of them listed under that one code. What Vince suggested is the right way to go about getting it done right.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:22 AM
Lesson learned here, don't buy paint online. Find a DuPont dealer near by and have them scan your paint. Then they can make your paint to your exact shade to match fading.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search