xenon body kit repair - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
xenon body kit repair
Friday, April 24, 2015 5:03 AM
hiya forum thanks for the add and all your info I get from this site you've all been a great help as im fairly new to the j body world
my question is how difficult is it to repair urethane as far as welding back together or epoxy it? any info would be greatly appreciated as I used structure adhesive when I installed the kit and don't wanna replace the whole sideskirt. the corner broke off on a speed bump when cold out
Attachments
IMG_20150420_151912_659.jpg (607k)
IMG_20150420_152026_077_crop.jpg (772k)

Re: xenon body kit repair
Friday, April 24, 2015 5:03 PM
Urethane doesn't usually break like that.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, April 25, 2015 6:58 AM
yea that's why I went with urethane but I guess when cold its brittle to lol when I hold the piece up in place you cant even tell its broken so id like to find a glue or something to prevent having to repaint it. oh and nice fighter jet lol im currently relocating my radio to where the center vents are so I can see the display on it . and the area where the radio was im putting all my swithes and buttons for the nitrous, vss , lights and so on. do you have mechanical gauges on your pillar and if so were they hard ro run. I have all mechanical and like to use the pillar to but not really sure of the best way to safely run the lines. I have air fuel, oil, water and fuel which I have double lined incase of leak
Saturday, April 25, 2015 9:48 AM
only thing you can do is plastic weld it. Take your soldering iron and melt it all together melt the cracks so its bonded and then use a panel bond on the crack to seal it. thats what we would do on sportbike fairings.
Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:44 PM
The side skirts on my 2001 Z are fiberglass.
The right front had been whacked and split when I purchased the car.
I suspect the lower ball joint let go (young girl owner).
I just epoxied the edges and laid new glass cloth over the back side.
New bright red rustoleum paint and you can't tell it from original.
Monday, April 27, 2015 9:16 AM
There are adhesives that will put that back together without doing the urethane welding. That is already an oldschool repair method. Eastwood as a 2k adhesive that I use often that will work for this, here is the link. If you get this, I would recommend not using the tip for this application, just push some out on a piece of board and mix it 1-1 and apply it by hand.

Monday, May 04, 2015 1:31 PM
thank you very much Sparkey05 that was the ticket! worked like a charm and I don't think its going anywhere. I did on the inside put some scrap plastic pieces in with the glue just for reinforcement but don't think it was necessary. thanks again ,jack
Wednesday, May 06, 2015 10:57 AM
Glad it worked out for you. Probably didn't need it is right, but it never hurts to have it reinforced.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search