Several Q's on painting my car... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Several Q's on painting my car...
Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:44 AM
Ok... I plan on painting my 2nd gen Z-24 shortly. Though I have a few quistions.

1: To save a little $$$$ and a lot of time I was going to apply my Tec/Base paint (from Napa) over top of my sanded down paint job I have now. Now I was told that paint wont adhere to existing paint that I needed to use primer/sealer. Now here is where it gets tricky. I have my clear coat pulling up a lot on my roof and my trunk... So I planed on sanding it all down with 300 gritt paper. I also have rock chips in my hood so I planned on sanding them down a little and shooting an epoxy filler over them or primer if I can get away with it and then sand it down smooth... ALSO I have existing Bondo covering holes for my stock GM wing that I took off and have Krylone (spelling) over it with primer base and clear. I also plan to shave my tailights right before I paint my car also. SO my quistion is this.... Would it be best intrest to take the paint ALL the way off? then spray a epoxy wash then a primer/sealer then my base and clear? or if not is my steps good enough? What are my choices and explain to me plz. Thanks This will be my first paint job which is fine with me considering I plan to do this for a living on day... Thanks a lot

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search