Why do newer cavaliers get rust? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why do newer cavaliers get rust?
Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:46 PM
I mean as in since these cars have gavalinised steel panels? Any opions wanted.

Re: Why do newer cavaliers get rust?
Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:56 PM
search wikipedia..

------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, May 18, 2006 3:18 PM
min has no rust, and Ive seen the bottom when its up on the lift, several times. I think it depends on your locations and its avg humidity. Here in Colorado im considered high desert, so its pretty dry here.

Friday, May 19, 2006 1:40 AM
isnt there a 100k rust warrenty or is it only for certain years models etc

Friday, May 19, 2006 8:30 AM
the only spot my 97 is rusted is that little lip that is part of the bottom of the doors, it's started on the inside but it's not bad enough yet to see from the outside....but i think every 2 door cavalier ever made rusts there

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:43 PM
99 cavalier Z24 in CT no rust

Gamer Profile ~ Cardomain ~ Myspace

Friday, May 19, 2006 10:05 PM
04' Fire and 91' Grand-Am. No rust. CT. What you gotta do is make sure you always wash out the under carrage of the car. Especially after the winter. The road salt is what eats away at the car. You just have to keep up with it and you'll see how little to no rust you'll have.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 4:22 AM
my 95 didn't have a bit of rust.. and I had the car COMPLETELY dissasembled... luck of the draw and area I guess.

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, May 20, 2006 3:03 PM
mine is starting to rust quick.

gotta find some patch panels...

Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:31 PM
my 98 Fire has a slight amount on suspension parts (ie spindle, caliper, drums etc), but very little. I believe mine had a 72k mile rust protection, shes at 90k miles now, and only that ive seen is a little spot on the rear driver fender, nothing too bad. I think it was from an accident before i bought it (it was hit on that side).

Sunday, May 21, 2006 5:06 AM
Well up north in ny, nj, mich . and where in at Ontario, Can. the winter months we use road salt some places use sand (cause its too cold for salt to melt the ice) to keep the rust away we use oil sprays under coatings oct nov is the best time to do this working in a bodyshop i find the alot of cars start rusting out from folds in the metal I.E. the flap at the bottom of the doors, bottom of a 1/4 panel gas lids not cause of salt but dirt. guys with car 5,6, years old and older check the trunk take out the spare tire you might see dirt and a round the bottom and on the sides the stuff needs to be vacuumed out. when you get water on the dirt it turns to mud and takes longer to dry thus rusting out the area battery trays are famous for this alittle acid to eat the paint off then some water under the battery when it woundn't dry up and bang rust .....doors have holes at the bottom for water to run out of make sure there cleaned out ..

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg

Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:35 AM
My 98 Z has loads of rust under the door. The seams are starting to rust. Previous owner must have just left the salt on the car. I live in MI so its common I would think. Going to do quite a bit of work to it next summer. Look at it this way, rust = weight reduction= better mpg, or faster. lol
Sunday, May 21, 2006 12:00 PM
i bought a 95 fire for parts. the quarter panels at the bottom corner where it meets the door where completely rotted away. the holes where the size of a CD case. Ive seen a few like this in my area. but in Ontario they use way more road salt then they should.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:44 PM
Live in ontario 99 fire 0 rust.....anywhere, and the car was just stripped 2 months ago so it was checked...butttttt it was only winter drive 2 years though....
Sunday, May 21, 2006 9:10 PM
My car is a 97 and it has a couple of spots of rust but not that bad for the year but a buddy of mines 2001 had rust on the rear quarter by the gas door and antenna. As far as the rust through protection plan works its just that rust THROUGH as in a hole through the metal, without a hole they wont touch it I work at a dealer and believe me I've tryed.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 10:33 PM
my car came from chicago and was driven when there was snow and salt on the ground so i got rust all over the bottom of it and a little on the sides especially on rear passenger and fuel door. but its on thin surface rust and went away fairly easy. it all depends on location. not to sound like a jerk bt nothing in life can ever be proofed, thats why there are warrenties.

Monday, May 22, 2006 12:47 PM
No rust on my 2000. But we don't have much snow (==no salt) in my part of North Carolina.
Monday, May 22, 2006 4:01 PM
Yeah the salt owns cars Especaily in Ontiaro back home cars rust sooo fast, but here in Vancouver there are soo many 1st gens with no rust whats so ever..

Monday, May 22, 2006 6:49 PM
winter car turned project car, 00 cavalier 2dr, connecticut winters, lots of salt and sand, no rust. wash it probably once a week all year long on the undercarriage with my garden house.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:39 PM
Well after washing our 2000 sedan LS cavalier there is some rust under the rocker panel but would they rust throught or spread to more of the rocker panel? Thanks!!!!
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:41 PM
A good idea to people who spend money on there car would be 2 line x the rocker panel It came to me today.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:41 PM
I live in Illinois where they salt the road if it snows a half an inch. I try really hard to keep our three Js as clean as possible during the winter, but sometimes it's hard due to crappy weather, etc.

I think I have come up with a solution to help lessen the chance for rust to form though... Rhino Lining truck bed liner.

My main project for this upcoming winter will be coating all the rust prone areas (undercarriage, wheel wells, trunk, etc.) on my car with Rhino Lining. So far my car has no rust on it *crosses fingers*.

My mom's '98 Sunfire SE Sedan has one little spot of rust on the bottom of the rear driver's side door. I will probably coat her car with Rhino Lining this coming winter as well.

My '94 Sunbird LE Sedan has a ton of rust . The rocker panels are the worst. They are pretty much gone. There are also significant rust spots in the rear wheel wells and in the trunk.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:44 AM
I'm just a bit north of Carrie (J To Envy) and my 2K LS sedan was rusted when I bought it in 03. Underside of the doors, underside of the car, etc. Driver door top corner wears thru the paint on the roof, so that part of the roof has a rust spot too. When I lift it up and take it apart to get ready for racing, I'll be spraying Rustoleum flat black on everything I can see. May not do much, but w/e, it's cheap enough to try. And it'll make the underside/etc look good

F/S: 2005 KAWASAKI ZX-6R 636, 1107ish Miles, $7500 OBO
Saturday, May 27, 2006 6:30 PM
Does the duplicolor rust treatment or w/e its called work? Our cavalier doesn't have no body rust just some rust at the end of the rocker panels and the rest of the rocker panel is missing many specks of paint and so I want our rocker panels to rust through. Thanks!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search