Washing fresh paint.... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Washing fresh paint....
Friday, June 27, 2008 4:53 PM
K I keep hearing and reading different things.... and I am being told different things.... the back half of my car was repainted / doors blended in the 2nd week of june... The body shop said that they baked the car overnight and that I can wash it aslong as I don't use any type of brush..... however I keep on being told by other people that it's not good to wash / wax fresh paint. I have not washed it since I got it back (it's been sititng in the garage basically for the past month.... anyways I want to do a real good wash and wax on it.. however is there any harm I can do to the fresh paint?????

Re: Washing fresh paint....
Friday, June 27, 2008 5:32 PM
if it was baked, then wash it with anything but a really stiff brush and you'll be fine

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Friday, June 27, 2008 7:29 PM
You can WASH it with soap and water. Just DO NOT WAX IT for at least a month or two. You can have it wet sanded and buffed if it hasn't been done already. That will take care of any dust/dirt particles and orange peel. Washing with soap and water will be fine, but I never use a brush to wash mine.

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:37 PM
ya I've never used a brush to wash mine either..... orange peel isn't bad at all... not sure if they wet sanded or not but it came out real smooth... it is = to the rest of my factory paint
Friday, June 27, 2008 10:36 PM
body shop told me not to wax my car for 90 days and not to use any spray detailers either.

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:45 PM
Why

Friday, June 27, 2008 11:21 PM
Things in the wax, such a silicone react with the paint, as the paint isn't fully cured for 90 days, and cause the paint to look uber @!#$ty. I'd just wait to be honest with you, if you have a small rock chip, and wash the paint too soon... the water will get underneath as you're cleaning, and bye bye paint. Just leave it alone for 90 days.

There will always be someone faster than you, but thousands slower and dumber than you.
Friday, June 27, 2008 11:30 PM
when you wash dont use pressure, just turn on the hose and use the pressure it has on its own and use a soft wash cloth or mitten if you really must wash it. I've always been told that its just safe to let fresh paint sit for 90 days to let it completely cure and dry. The reason you dont want to wax is because the pressure and motion you put on the paint may cause it to streak, break, or smudge.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 7:55 AM
hmm looks like i'll just stick with washing the front half of my vehicle =).... then get a good wax on before winter
Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:21 AM
one thing ive never understood is how is it ok to buff/wet sand fresh paint but its not ok to wax fresh paint....

i mean i understand why you cant wax because of the replies in this thread now but i mean buffing does the same thing, you use a polisher and spinning pressure from a buffer on it so why is it the buffing in of the wax that ruins it? if anything i would think there was something IN the wax itself thats not in the polisher...

idk, somebody please explain.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:25 AM
Shadowfire wrote:You can WASH it with soap and water. Just DO NOT WAX IT for at least a month or two. You can have it wet sanded and buffed if it hasn't been done already. That will take care of any dust/dirt particles and orange peel. Washing with soap and water will be fine, but I never use a brush to wash mine.

This man knows what he is talking about, for the same reason as myself he works(or worked) at a body shop
We will run our cars through the Mike's car wash a day after its been painted.. granted its the bottom wash of mike's so its not all the special stuff but we just run it through to get dust off and all because its cheaper for us then to have someone wash car out in the driveway.(our current shop is small) You don't want to wax the car for that 90day period.. or use any sort of detailer.. the paint/clear is still "breathing" in that period and wax and detailer will trap the solvents that are needing to escape, which causes all kinds of problems. So.. you can wash the car no problem, just don't wax it. and when you wash it defiantly make sure the soap does not dry on the car nor let the water, spot on the fresh paint or you will be wet sanding, buffing ,and polishing those areas.(again if it wasn't done at the body shop)

Some will say don't wash it but if you get a lot of dirt buildup on the paint as well, it'll have the same effect as waxing it. so wash it defiantly if its getting dirty, granted thats a little hard to do, but it depends where you live.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:25 PM
we dont bake cars over night did ya mean it sat over night then it was wet sanded and buffed the longest we bake clear for is 40-60 mins at 140-160 degress, you can wash it, but not right away, clear has to sit 24 hours for anything to be done to it
yes you can wash it the next day and you a polish on it to maintain the shine, waxing spray wax contains polymers, paint sealents, that are bad for fresh clear, it will close up in a way the fresh clear, and when that happens we have to sand and buff the clear again
buffing remove about 1 to 1 1/2 coats of clear, and the compounds we use do not contain sealents to harm the clear, accordiong to ppg if the clear is baked at 160 for 60 mins then cooled down for 1 hour, there clear can be waxed and not have one problem
does it work and is it true yes i did it on my alero only one panle and it never harmed it

so it looks like your was cured over night, so yes you have to wait about 60 days to apply wax

can i haz bondo
Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:31 AM
z yaaaa wrote:one thing ive never understood is how is it ok to buff/wet sand fresh paint but its not ok to wax fresh paint....

i mean i understand why you cant wax because of the replies in this thread now but i mean buffing does the same thing, you use a polisher and spinning pressure from a buffer on it so why is it the buffing in of the wax that ruins it? if anything i would think there was something IN the wax itself thats not in the polisher...

idk, somebody please explain.

Buffing with compounds doesn't harm anything. It's wax that is harmful. Like big daddy explained the wax is a sealant. Just think of it this way, the paint has to "breathe" as it cures. By adding a layer of wax over it it's basically interfering with the curing of the paint. Just imagine trying to dry a wet sponge while its sealed up tight in a ziplock bag lol. When you water sand and buff you're not adding anything over the paint. Rubbing compounds basically work like sanding but much finer. This is what takes out the sanding marks from the water sanding. Compound doesn't contain waxes or sealants so they are harmless. Buffers are used because they spin fast enough to make heat which actually helps the buffing process.

There is a lot that most people don't understand, and there are a lot of different theories on how things work, but like stated already by both me and big daddy who both have experience in the paint/body field....

YOU CAN WASH PAINT AFTER 24 HOURS DRY TIME. YOU SHOULD NOT WAX FOR AT LEAST 90 DAYS.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:38 PM
sorry what I meant was it was baked before they closed up the shop for the night and sat until the next afternoon
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search