HID 9007 BULB - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HID 9007 BULB
Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:14 AM
ok i have a set of HID's in my 2005 cav with the 2002 headlights, i know i will lose my drl so i still have to do the DRL Disable.
these hid i have, they have a lil helgon bulb on the buttom of the hid bulb its self, and when i turn my hi beams on only one helgon bulb works. i wanted to know do u lose ur hi beams when u put hids in , and do any of 9007 hid kits come with this lil helgon bulb. i was also woundering if the lil helgon bulbs are maybe a way of keeping the drl working.

any help would be great and i'll try and get pics of the bulb i'm talking about.

Re: HID 9007 BULB
Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:21 AM
i just install the hid kit yesterday on my 96 cavalier

my drl havnted been working,i think the fuse is blown for that,i dont know how an 2002-05 is though
as for the high beams,i still have access to both my high beams but with the hid being so bright as they are,i no longer need them pretty much

when its all or nothing,just remember to do not short shift
mountain dew man
Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:41 AM
see from 95-99 cavs have 2 sets of bulbs 00-05 they only have one bulb thats dose both high beams and low beans. I ur car u just changed out ur lo beam bulbs so ur factory highs still work, on my car my lo beams work but not my hi beams, i'm thinking the hids are maybe pind wrong.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:47 AM
ok i got you
i did read on ebay .someone was selling an set,and it said it will not work with high beams,and thats what i was worried about
but the guy at the car show ,explaned it to me,
so in your case,you might not have the option anymore of an high beams,or unless there is an way around it or something,which in that case,i wound't know nothing about

sorry i coundn't be more of an help
but with the low beams and the hid,you should have to worry anymore about using the high beams
which bulb did you get,i got the 8000 watt for now

mountain dew man
Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:55 AM
i got the 6000k

Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:58 AM
did you check them at night yet to see how much brighter they are

i know when my dad had his 03 cav,his low beams wasnt bright either
on my 96 cav,i could hardly see 2 feet in front of me

now with the hid,i checked last night,they shine way ahead of me,but didnt drive it yet at night,hoping to do that tonight

mountain dew man
Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:47 AM
I dont have an answer to your problem, but i must say that since i got my hids, ive never used my high beams..

not to mention the fact that they arent brighter than the hids...

Friday, May 15, 2009 6:06 AM
the HID's with the halogen high beam are a little different animal.

I had a set of these back in the day, and wired a relay in to keep the low beam HID's on with the high beams, but it sounds like you cant get the HID's to work at all??

Probably the best way to solve the problem, is to get a 9007 bi-xenon relay harness. this will keep the HID on for your low beam even when you switch on the high beams, and let the halogen bulb come on for highs as well. i only had this hooked up for inspection purposes BTW.....pretty useless.

You would have to modify the harness slightly, sine it is designed for a bi-xenon bulb, but about 10 minutes with some waterproof connectors, and you would be golden.

Friday, May 15, 2009 1:13 PM
my hid work when there on the low beams, but they dont work when they go into high i only get one halgon bulb on and when i have my low beams on i get a service light and my high beam light stays on in the dash, so i would need to get that harness ur talking about to fix my problem?

Friday, May 15, 2009 9:23 PM
Krzy Z wrote:my hid work when there on the low beams, but they dont work when they go into high i only get one halgon bulb on and when i have my low beams on i get a service light and my high beam light stays on in the dash, so i would need to get that harness ur talking about to fix my problem?

its not the ONLY way to take care of the problem, but will also cure some other problems you may have down the road, which is why i recomended that method.

The service light is because your DRL arent working due to the HID system, and you need to disable it. The high beam light stuck on could be the same, but could also be another problem......does the high beam stay on when the dash light is on??

Saturday, May 23, 2009 1:26 AM
I Have the bi-xenon on my 2003 and the bulb moves when I switch to high beems. I belive that is how the stock lights work. but most people buy the cheaper hid kits and they don't.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:19 AM
i have a 6000k hid kit on my car. 2002 cavalier. mine is the plug and play style (not sure if yours is same or not) but i have a lil halogen bulb above my hid bulb also. i disabled my drls long before i ever got hid's, but mine work just normal i guess. my hid is on when low beams are on (when i turn on head lights) and when i flick it to high beams the hids cut off and the halogen bulbs cut on (which are COMPLETELY USELESS) they put of hardly any light at all. but i've been having problems with my hid kit. my ballast are messing up. about 3 months after i got them and installed them and having no problems, my passenger side light started flashing on and off every once in a while when driving so i pulled out bulb and just plugged in driver side ballast and it worked perfectly fine. couldnt get it to work and ran out of money at the time so i just put one of my cool blue bulbs in passenger side and just used driver side hid. still PLENTY of light. NOW the driver side light is doing the same thing. been told i need to wire up a relay that runs off of the battery and alternator instead of letting the ballast run off of my stock harness. buddy said they draw too much power and burn up the ballast. im not sure what to do. its really upsetting me though spending all the money for the crap and it messes up. called the company back and they told me that i would have to send them back and they would have to go through an inspection process before telling me if i would get another set or if i'd be screwed. not sure what to do. any help?

Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:09 PM
20cavy02 wrote:i have a 6000k hid kit on my car. 2002 cavalier. mine is the plug and play style (not sure if yours is same or not) but i have a lil halogen bulb above my hid bulb also. i disabled my drls long before i ever got hid's, but mine work just normal i guess. my hid is on when low beams are on (when i turn on head lights) and when i flick it to high beams the hids cut off and the halogen bulbs cut on (which are COMPLETELY USELESS) they put of hardly any light at all. but i've been having problems with my hid kit. my ballast are messing up. about 3 months after i got them and installed them and having no problems, my passenger side light started flashing on and off every once in a while when driving so i pulled out bulb and just plugged in driver side ballast and it worked perfectly fine. couldnt get it to work and ran out of money at the time so i just put one of my cool blue bulbs in passenger side and just used driver side hid. still PLENTY of light. NOW the driver side light is doing the same thing. been told i need to wire up a relay that runs off of the battery and alternator instead of letting the ballast run off of my stock harness. buddy said they draw too much power and burn up the ballast. im not sure what to do. its really upsetting me though spending all the money for the crap and it messes up. called the company back and they told me that i would have to send them back and they would have to go through an inspection process before telling me if i would get another set or if i'd be screwed. not sure what to do. any help?

yeah, you are in the same boat. the wiring in these cars is not designed to handle the draw of an HID ballast firing up. Once they are going, thier power consumption is very low, and you would be fine. Get the realy harness (pm me if you are interested), and your problems will be cured until something else goes wrong with it.....and with a cheap kit, something most likely will.

Monday, May 25, 2009 9:22 AM
I thought I'd tell everyone who doesn't already know, the issues with the HIDS:

With the O/P's issue, the little bitty bulb isn't going to do anything for you. They're redundant and that's about it.
They're there to confuse the @!#$s outta you.
95-99 cavis, along with 03+ sunfires, can use direct plug and play HID's 'cuz they run on a dual bulb system. 9006 and 9005. with one being the lows, the other being the highs.

Now, the question with High Beams on 9007 bulbs - NOT POSSIBLE. Once u put HID's in there, it's DONE.
you will only have HIDS, nothing else. WHY? because 9007 run both high and low beams out of the same bulb. The way it's done is to limit the amount of current/power flowing into the HALOGEN bulb itself, therefore making it brighter, or dimmer.

HIDs, however, only run on ONE constant brightness. The power flow is controled by the ballast, and cannot be changed.
The only way to do it is through Bi-Xenon, which, what it is, is simply the kind of PROJECTOR used in the light housing.
Usually, a car just has a regular projector. With Bi Xenon, what it is, is that there's a refractive lense in the light ousing itself, usually covering up the total brightness of the HID bulb itself, until required, to do so otherwise. Then at that point, when the user wants to turn on high beams, the refracting lens moves, unblocking the bulb, and BAM, the "ghigh beams" are on.

Hope that clarified some stuff for ya,.
Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:07 PM
actually you can have hids with high beams still working with the 9007 hid bulbs. 9007 bulbs have 2 separate filaments which is why there are 3 wires that go to the bulbs
(Green wire is the supply for the lows, Red wire is the supply for the highs, and Black wire is the neutral for bother beams).
Your lows or drl's are on one circuit and your highs are on a separate one but using the same bulb.
Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:41 PM
9007s dont limit the current through the bulb for high and low.

there is a high filament and a low filament. one common ground. DRLs are made from bypassing the ground and running through both filaments lowering the total current across each filament.

still cant have a high and low with HIDs though

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:52 PM
You can have high and low if you the the High/Low 9007 kit

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Friday, January 01, 2010 2:11 AM
yea i have a 9007 hi/lo hid kit and they work just fine and the highs are actually bright too.

and i didnt no that it used both filaments? thanks for the info.
Saturday, January 02, 2010 5:37 PM
Hey if anyone out there is looking for HID like bulbs get these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390129545623&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBDIX%3AIT

i personally just bought the same exact ones from eBay for my 2003. the light output isn't as bright as HID but it definately looks identically to 6000k white that they output. i also found much improvement on the range both left and right and ahead of the road. they are very good lights. i cant say how long they will last but i believe they got a warranty. just thought id share my experience with these.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Saturday, January 02, 2010 5:42 PM
So you bought an 8500 K "HID" setup and it only looks like 6000K ? Somethings wrong there.

Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:45 PM
the only way 8000k hid's will look like 6000k's, is if they are the 12v 50/55w kit and not the traditional 24v 35w.

Monday, January 04, 2010 12:23 PM
well even so, i dont care. they look absolutely awesome for the price and they come with a lifetime warranty. i highly suggest people looking at HID kits to check these out.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:26 PM
I have 6000K HIDS on my 2001, got hooked up with a nice kit..i did lose my high beams but who gives.............................
hids are dope.
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:39 PM
slvrblit wrote:You can have high and low if you the the High/Low 9007 kit

touche

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search