What HID Bulbs to Get... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What HID Bulbs to Get...
Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:12 AM
Ok well i am about to indevor upon my own custom projectors for my 96 GT. The money is in the bank and just waiting to dissapear for a good cause.

I am getting bi-xenons(because i want the blinding high beams of course) and am just not sure what brightness i want to get... i am pretty much going between 6000k and 8000k. But i am open to all suggestions.

I will prbly be making a thread on this since there are a lot of Cav custom projector threads, but i could not find any for a fire. Anyone object to this?

Alrighty guys, thanks for the input i will respond to suggestions as soon as i can, for those who have noticed, i am usually on a lot.

Re: What HID Bulbs to Get...
Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:49 AM
basically the difference is the lower the kelvin rating, the brighter the bulb, but also more yellow. So the 6000k will be a pure white, no blue tinge at all, and be the brighter of the two. The 8000k will be slightly 'cooler' color but will have slightly less output. Very little difference, but its ur call, i have 8000 and i love em

Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:59 AM
Yeah I know the difference in the kelvin ratings, i was just seeing what other people were suggesting. I am leaning more towards 8000k because i want them to be bright, but also look sweet. =P

Also... what should i get for my projector lenses, white(assuming clear?), or blue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:00 AM
Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:23 AM
Well i just ordered my HID kit. Got 9007(obviously) Bi-xenons, 8000k.

I went with the 8000k because the projector kit i am ordering comes with a set of 6000k bulbs... so pretty much i will have a back up and if i dont like one, i can just put in the other. But i will prbly start out with the 8000ks.

I think i am just going to go ahead and order the Projectors with white lenses. If i want to change the color then i will buy blue-er bulbs.
Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:26 AM
I have 12000k... H1's and I'm not regretting it at all.

it's a brilliant blue colour... I just have them pointed more towards the ground so I'm not blinding oncomming drivers, but it sure does brighten the surroundings to a point where I can see small stones on the ground lol.

get the 8000k....

Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:28 AM
GTmatters wrote:Well i just ordered my HID kit. Got 9007(obviously) Bi-xenons, 8000k.

I went with the 8000k because the projector kit i am ordering comes with a set of 6000k bulbs... so pretty much i will have a back up and if i dont like one, i can just put in the other. But i will prbly start out with the 8000ks.

I think i am just going to go ahead and order the Projectors with white lenses. If i want to change the color then i will buy blue-er bulbs.

right on! with-in 3mins of posting to each other... glad to see you made the right choice you wont regret it.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:32 AM
zdoubledozen [ Matt wrote:]
GTmatters wrote:Well i just ordered my HID kit. Got 9007(obviously) Bi-xenons, 8000k.

right on! with-in 3mins of posting to each other... glad to see you made the right choice you wont regret it.

Haha thanks a lot for the support. I figured it was fail proof considering i am getting both.

I also have the same fenders that you have, there aren't too many people with them but i can't wait to get them on my car.

I think if this project goes well i may make custom turn signals. Get red Leds and replace them with my GT fog lamps.... i think that would look pretty sweet and would look awesome.
Saturday, August 01, 2009 6:26 PM
I had 8k at first and now I'm using 6k

I love them both. I still have 8k in my fogs though

Saturday, August 01, 2009 7:53 PM
I happen to have a set of 6k and they are very white with the very edge being blue. Be careful though. Some states are picky about the color levels.
Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:38 AM
firegrillincavy wrote:I happen to have a set of 6k and they are very white with the very edge being blue. Be careful though. Some states are picky about the color levels.

This is good advice but PA isnt really picky on much other than neons/underbody lights. You can have stuff on front and rear windshields, any color headlights. In some parts they crack down on tint though.... but that is usually only the illegal stuff.
Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:59 AM
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding how you're planning on doing this, or if you understand how it works.

Bi-xenon projectors use a movable shield to create the high beam (no cutoff shield) and low beam (shield in place).

Bi-xenon aftermarket HID kits that go into reflector headlights most of the time use a moving/tilting bulb to move the bulb into position of where the high beam focal point of the reflector would be.

Putting a bi-xenon aftermarket bulb in a regular projector will NOT give you the "high beam" you're picturing due to how the projector reflector and glass is designed.

If you're going with OEM xenon projectors, stick with the original D2S style bulbs that go with that projector. Stick with Osram 66050 or Philips 85122 original bulbs (around 4300k). Philips also offers 5000k bulbs labeled 85122+. Anything else in my opinion looks cheap and has poor lighting if you're going with OEM projectors.

If you're going with aftermarket projectors, then do as you wish. But, using a bi-xenon aftermarket bulb in a projector will not do what you think it's going to do. Go for a regular aftermarket HID bulb if going this route, and figure out a different way to do your high beams (or get rid of them altogether like I did). PS - I have a set of OEM retrofit HID components for sale if anyone is interested in doing an OEM retrofit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:46 AM
GTmatters wrote:
firegrillincavy wrote:I happen to have a set of 6k and they are very white with the very edge being blue. Be careful though. Some states are picky about the color levels.

This is good advice but PA isnt really picky on much other than neons/underbody lights. You can have stuff on front and rear windshields, any color headlights. In some parts they crack down on tint though.... but that is usually only the illegal stuff.

uh......i dont agree with this at all. PA is one of the tougher inspection states, and a cop can pull you over in a heart beat with any kind of aftermarket lights...anywhere.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:58 AM
In the projector there is a little switch that puts the shield up and down. Here is an explanation of why you need bi xenon to get high beams and low beams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ1RfzrCfdM

Here is what i ordered:

My Projector Kit-

My Bi-Xenon HID Kit-

The picture doesn't show that it is a Bi-Xenon Kit cause most of it is in jiberish, but it is. I read very closely and got help off of a friend on here that has the same setup in his Cavy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:07 AM
Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:10 AM
John Benham wrote:
GTmatters wrote:

uh......i dont agree with this at all. PA is one of the tougher inspection states, and a cop can pull you over in a heart beat with any kind of aftermarket lights...anywhere.

I live in PA. I was not talking about inspection, i am talking about getting pulled over. Inspections/emissions are a little tight i have to admit.

But again... i have prbly 10 friends with aftermarket lights, whether it be tail or front, and noone has problems. Half of them are custom made too...
Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:17 AM
Damn you Garrett, now your gonna blind me next time your following me. I thought about getting HID's, but i dont feel like doing a projector retrofit.

03 Sunfire - Sold.
Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:23 AM
CorKey wrote:Damn you Garrett, now your gonna blind me next time your following me. I thought about getting HID's, but i dont feel like doing a projector retrofit.

Hahaha yeahhh you thought it was bad before.

WELLLL see.. i already bought the clear lenses a while ago. But with me doing all this myself i am saving around 300 bucks. Plus they look bad a. I don't know how much harder it would be for the 03-05s..
Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:48 AM
Yeah, well this is about all im doing with my car now.

http://altoona.craigslist.org/cto/1301803837.html

if anyones interested, hit me up. lol

03 Sunfire - Sold.
Sunday, August 02, 2009 12:13 PM
Sad face...
Sunday, August 02, 2009 12:27 PM
GTmatters wrote:In the projector there is a little switch that puts the shield up and down. Here is an explanation of why you need bi xenon to get high beams and low beams.

Here is what i ordered:

My Projector Kit-

My Bi-Xenon HID Kit-

The picture doesn't show that it is a Bi-Xenon Kit cause most of it is in jiberish, but it is. I read very closely and got help off of a friend on here that has the same setup in his Cavy.

The projector shield moving is what makes the high beam, not the bulb. The bi-xenon part is the projector, NOT the bulb. You didn't need to buy "bi-xenon bulbs", so when you hook it up just hook up the bulb without the high beam feature. Hook up the projector shield motor to your high beam.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, August 02, 2009 1:34 PM
Viper98912 wrote:
GTmatters wrote:In the projector there is a little switch that puts the shield up and down. Here is an explanation of why you need bi xenon to get high beams and low beams.

Here is what i ordered:

My Projector Kit-

My Bi-Xenon HID Kit-

The projector shield moving is what makes the high beam, not the bulb. The bi-xenon part is the projector, NOT the bulb. You didn't need to buy "bi-xenon bulbs", so when you hook it up just hook up the bulb without the high beam feature. Hook up the projector shield motor to your high beam.

Viper is correct, but no need to worry. Everything will still work. I have that same HID kit you ordered. You wont be using the bulbs anyway because the projectors use their own bulbs.

Take the bulbs from HID kit and put them to the side or use them until you have all your parts together.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:52 PM
Viper98912 wrote:

Here is what i ordered:

My Projector Kit-

My Bi-Xenon HID Kit-

Yeah, which is what i said: "In the projector there is a little switch that puts the shield up and down.". But yeahhhh i didn't know that i would have to hook it up like that, so thanks man. I just simply played it safe and only bought stuff that said bi xenon/hi and lo. lmao.

WELLL see... the projectors come with 6000k, that could not be changed. I had a choice of bulbs when i bought my HID kit though, and i ordered 8000k(because that is what i would prefer).

I'm still pumped but i am getting the feeling this isnt going to be as easy as i thought.

My HID kit was shipped today btw.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:07 PM
Christ.

Anything above about 5K and you start losing output. 4300 is the optimal temperature because it illuminates white surfaces better than any other temperature. Anything above or below and you start to sacrifice efficiency for fashion.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 9:58 PM
I didn't think they even made below 4300? And i am partially making these because they look better.
Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:02 PM
I had 8k in my car before it got wrecked, and was semi disapointed. i didn't get the blue like everything showed. id get a flash of blue at first then it was white with an almost the tiniest hint of blue. it was good however cause the color of light it made iluminated roadsigns and the lines on the road and made them glow, however the beam didn't cast very far.

Monday, August 03, 2009 10:51 AM
PCSR wrote:I had 8k in my car before it got wrecked, and was semi disapointed. i didn't get the blue like everything showed. id get a flash of blue at first then it was white with an almost the tiniest hint of blue. it was good however cause the color of light it made iluminated roadsigns and the lines on the road and made them glow, however the beam didn't cast very far.

Hmm... well i don't want something too blue. I want it bright but with a little tint of blue.

We will see... like i said many times... i will have two sets.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search