What trunk lid options are there ? 95+ sunfire - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What trunk lid options are there ? 95+ sunfire
Friday, November 20, 2009 9:58 AM
I am currently stumped a bit...i want to do some' glass work on my trunk/make another ( either one) but not sure if it would be in my best interest to buy a custom one somewhere...I've seen some nice ones and have looked into the forums to see if there has been a similar post and didn't see anything on it.....i just really hate the lic. plate in the trunk...i'd like to have a smoothie and the plate on the bumper like on the cavs.....any input besides buy a cav. ? I am looking into that too

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Re: What trunk lid options are there ? 95+ sunfire
Friday, November 20, 2009 10:43 AM
unfortunately, all the sunfires have the plate on the trunk, 95-05.

the trunk itself is the same for all years, it's just that piece where the plate is that's different, if you want to go 03+ rear, you just have to find the 03+ filler panel and back bumper.

Friday, November 20, 2009 10:55 AM
thats a good thought.....i like the 03 rear bumper better than mine.......hmmmmmm

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Friday, November 20, 2009 1:18 PM
I shaved my filler panel as a project one I picked up from the junk yard.
got piece of plastic used a heat gun to curve it best I could to the shape of the filler panel. Took it to a local shop got them to plastic weld it together. Then I used filler to smooth out the small amount that needed to be perfect.

Friday, November 20, 2009 2:37 PM
Shaved trunk lid, and 03 rear swap (Just don't jock my matte black trunk panel):

Friday, November 20, 2009 3:10 PM
Those are sweet....Just what i was looking to do Micah ...almost...i was thinking of shaving the lic. plate and reverse lights like you did Ryan....i love how the 03 rear looks...oh the mat black is sinister...nothing wrong with that.....I will,however have to put some reverse lights on there again...i think CT law makes you..plus i like it to be safe..i have 3 kids roll with me!!!1But if i did do the shave, even after doing the '03 swap, would i be able to bolt a cavy bumper or would I just have to find an aftermarket one...I could always do some 'glass work and combine the 2.....Man you guys have my mind working...smell the smoke???? keep the ideas coming !!!

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Friday, November 20, 2009 3:16 PM
the cav bumper won't match up, but you can get creative and do some molding. . . or just get a pre-done fiberglass rear and mold in the license plate spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 20, 2009 3:17 PM

Friday, November 20, 2009 4:28 PM
There are a few aftermarket rear bumpers for the 03 Sunfire. What are you doing for front and sides? I see you mentioned doing a front swap in your profile.

This car belongs to Spencer. It'll give you an idea of how an 03 rear would look with the shaved trunk filler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 20, 2009 4:32 PM

Friday, November 20, 2009 4:41 PM
^

Friday, November 20, 2009 5:34 PM
I like the white one. But theres got to be a better way to mount the license plate. Hahahah

Friday, November 20, 2009 5:45 PM
Brad (joining JBOShortBus) wrote:the cav bumper won't match up, but you can get creative and do some molding. . . or just get a pre-done fiberglass rear and mold in the license plate spot.

ooo they match up mahahah ]:->

Friday, November 20, 2009 5:51 PM
on the note of 03-05 rears, I had shaved the lock and Pontiac off mine...this is what my rear used to look like...

Saturday, November 21, 2009 6:08 AM
Very nice !!!! ...I am dieing to get this moving..... I was gonna go the mold route possibly....take the '03 bumper and mold a lic. plate holder from a cav or just fab. my own and mold it in...then just mold up a whole complete bumper in fiberglass so ill have no issues with it....I know it's pretty ambitious but I have the drive and determination.....I may even swap to a newer nose...who knows....I'm going hunting for parts a little later on line and hope fully get some good news...when i do start I'll start posting a thread on it but it'll be a bit....3 kids and x-mas coming up, plus an old lady that like to go waaaaayyyyyy over board.. Gonna look in to power door too..Might as well start doing the interior and nose also...

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Saturday, November 21, 2009 6:21 AM
and as for the sides I'm still up in the air on those....I don't really want to make/buy a kit that hangs too low..i am gonna lower the car a bit more ...more like what you have Gary

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
Go clean or go home. "

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search