smoking tail lights - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
smoking tail lights
Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:29 PM
i wanna smoke my 01 z24 tailights soon.
ive heard a few ways and some weird ways to do it.

So really the most effective way to do it is ...
1. removing tailights,
2. use rubbing alcohol on inside of lens to clean it up, and/or use 1000 grit sandpaper.
3. Then spray the tint.
4. clear coat.

How long do you wait to clear coat it?

Does this sound correct? Ive heard some people say do both sides or only the outside of the tailights.
please help. thanks

P.S- this is all I'd need right? except rubbing alcohol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200387735853

Re: smoking tail lights
Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:01 AM
What type of spray are you using? I used window tint spray from a hobby shop and the clear was already mixed in

Yeah, clean your tail lights and then spray. Just use light coats and let dry between coats.

Good luck

Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:18 AM
VHT niteshades.
should I spray the clear coat a few minutes after spraying the tint? or let dry completely first?
Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:50 PM
I did it myself and did a write up, this is the best way I've found how to do it, and I've done it several times.

Here's a link: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=7&i=375222&t=375222

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09
Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:21 PM
In order to get the BEST possible shine out of your lights, you need to do proper prep, AND proper wetsanding.

Most people don't do it, and do a rush job. To tell you the truth, EVERY 9 out of 10 Night Shade jobs I see on the street are total Sh!t.

I was one of those. Did a basic clean, sand, applied the paint with a few coats, then applied the clear. WRONG! It will ALWAYS come out looking like ass.

Follow this link EXACTLY.

How To: 350Z - Smoking Tail Lights

After sanding down my lights, and redoing the process like in the instructions, I noticed a HUUUUGE difference. My tails now have no blemishes, are as smooth as they could possibly be, and look like glass.

I hate it when people don't do Night Shades properly. It makes me want to get out of my car at red lights and punch them.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:39 PM
Mine don't look like @!#$, nor a huge difference. I had night shades on my car at one point and decided to do them myself this time. It all depends on how much time and how much patience you have. I didn't drive my car for a few days just so I could get my tails looking exactly how I wanted. But to each it's own.

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09
Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:52 PM
Quote:

I hate it when people don't do Night Shades properly. It makes me want to get out of my car at red lights and punch them.

That passionate about Niteshades eh?

Friday, November 27, 2009 5:43 AM
I did my old ones like the 350z site and like those pics they came out awesome

Friday, November 27, 2009 6:29 AM
awesome. So you spray the VHT stuff on the inside of the lights or out?

then polish up the outside after right?
Friday, November 27, 2009 8:09 AM
i only sprayed the outside

Friday, November 27, 2009 6:11 PM
instead of using the meguiars medium fine cut and glass polish, isnt their plastiX or w/e the same thing? or I should stay with the medium cut polish and stuff?

Friday, November 27, 2009 6:27 PM
No need for plastix and you only do the outside there is no point to do the inside

Friday, November 27, 2009 9:15 PM
all i did, was spray nightshades on my tails, turned out great, no wetsanding(although i'm not saying this is'nt a bad idea, i was just lazy at the time), just buy some vht and spray it on the tails after u clean them. it's really that simple, u should probly clear them as well. i did'nt and i'm waiting to see how they hold up, if they don't i can always wetsand them down and do it right.(like i said i was just lazy).all i'm trying to say is don't get so technical bout this, if ur tails are in decent condition, all you have to do is clean/prep them and paint. it's really that easy

these are mine from when i did them only bout 4 months or so ago, i don't even remember. but so far they've held up great. see how they deal with the winter.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:12 AM
awesome. thanks, hope they hold up for ya. lol
Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:50 PM
whatever you do, make sure you lightly wet sand with 2000 grit before you spray them...

otherwise you'll probably be getting spider cracks in the paint. 00-05 tails dont seem to do it as bad but 95-99? oh god. its HORRIBLE around the reverse light portion.

proper way:

1.) lightly wet sand then clean
2.) nice light even coats of nightshades til desired tint is achieved
3.) CLEAR COAT THEM WITH AUTOMOTIVE GRADE CLEAR.

Erik N wrote:I hate it when people don't do Night Shades properly. It makes me want to get out of my car at red lights and punch them.

agree. agree. agree.

Stand in the corner and SCREAM with me!!!!
Sunday, November 29, 2009 3:24 PM
alrightt. awesome
thanks
Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:09 AM
VHT nightshades all the way....never used clear over it though...

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:25 AM
When I did mine I sanded all of the DOT letters off so they are all nice and smooth. Then I cleared them. Nice and shiney.

I don't like when people leave the circles untinted I think that looks stupid. But, even worse is when people don't take the time to do the third brake light.

See sig for pic.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:12 PM
did yall do dry or wet sanding? or anything after clear coating them like like that link says with the 350z lights?
and im with ya on the 3rd brake light and all that. lol
Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:38 PM
i did'nt tint the 3rd brake light bcuze none of the other light area's are tinted. it's not that i did'nt take the time.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:47 PM
kevin michael wrote:did yall do dry or wet sanding?

z yaaaa wrote:whatever you do, make sure you lightly wet sand with 2000 grit before you spray them...

otherwise you'll probably be getting spider cracks in the paint. 00-05 tails dont seem to do it as bad but 95-99? oh god. its HORRIBLE around the reverse light portion.

proper way:

1.) lightly wet sand then clean
2.) nice light even coats of nightshades til desired tint is achieved
3.) CLEAR COAT THEM WITH AUTOMOTIVE GRADE CLEAR.

Reading > You

Now With More Carbon Fiber!

Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:01 PM
Just take it to a local body shop and tell them you want them to smoke out your lights... Most places will do it and have same day turn around... They use automotive grade clear coat with a few drops of black as the tint... They prep your lights for you, spray 3 coats, and wet-sand before the final... mine looked perfect and it cost 60 whole dollars... most places will charge $60-100 for a set of lights... save yourself the time and let pros do it the right way...

...I am the BEST at what I do...
"I guess your right[BlueBoost]. Me and my slow car are failers."

Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:40 PM
^^ Ding ding, absolutely the best method of tinting tails.. We do it all the time on our harley parts we do for customers with our flush mounted brake lights and stuff and I did bens taillights and fogs that way.

not that great of pics at all but here are the results of that.

best part is rarely having to wet sand/buff because I can get my clear to lay out so smooth. and it doesn't need wet sanded to get glossy..

Thursday, December 03, 2009 6:35 PM
Got bored and did mine.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 7:06 PM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:When I did mine I sanded all of the DOT letters off so they are all nice and smooth. Then I cleared them. Nice and shiney.

Same here when I did my front bumper signals. They look much cleaner like this.

They look so nice when done the right way.

Clearcoat them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search