04 tail light question. - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
04 tail light question.
Saturday, March 02, 2013 11:57 PM
I am looking to buy an 04 2 dr cavi. But I hate the center "taillight" in the middle of the trunk. I am wondering if the trunk itself will have mounting holes for that center piece. I am wanting to put in tail lights that are like the ones on a 95-00 or 00-02. I have looked for pics of a removed center light, and I see some white rubber grommet looking things. Any info would be nice for a JBO old schooler.

Re: 04 tail light question.
Sunday, March 03, 2013 1:54 AM
The trunk does have more holes drilled for the center light... sadly.

You have three options

1. Swap the trunk out with an older one of the same color (02 and under)

OR

2. Swap in the older taillights and get the extra mounting holes patched and re-paint the trunk

OR

3. CLICK ME

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:52 AM
Don't forget the Sunfire sedan tails. Grab a set from the junkyard and tint them for a clean look. You could even paint the center section and use 95-02 outers.

With that said, I'd swap trunks and be done with it.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 7:35 AM
heres mine from a while back..huge improvement.
just be careful, the cheap crappy GM plastic threaded tips/nuts that hold the panel on break very very easily. these are still somewhat pricey even at a pick n pull, I paid $100 or so for the 3 pcs. i believe they are from a 4dr (sedan) sunfire as Cruisin said above

I also have a few of the pics from when i did the install, but its pretty straight forward. The only downside..you will no longer have reverse lights...gotta figure out how to fab up your own. i have yet to do so.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:10 PM
I'm not a big fan of any extra plastic crap between the tails. I loved the look of the early 3rd gen tails without the oversized cross body plastic junk. I think I'll spray the gold Bowie in the back black and call it an afternoon.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:49 PM
well then why not just buy a trunk for nearly nothing (on craigslist or a pck n pull) and put in a set of older tail lights? all bolt in and stupid easy to do.
i went with my look because ive always loved the berger camaro look. it stuck with me, and this worked out great. my thoughts are the opposite of yours though, im not a fan of the two seperate tail lights, because it reminds me of the older style cavs lol

but here it is with the tail panel removed...(and mine is an 04)

Friday, March 08, 2013 4:19 AM
Another option is picking up a 95-02 carbon fiber trunk lid. All 95-02 trunk lids bolt right onto a 03-05 without any modification.

My 03 with a 95-02 ViS carbon fiber trunk lid and 00-02 taillights.

Friday, March 08, 2013 1:16 PM
I don't think the Orange Metallic ( Burnt Orange or Atomic Orange) was available before 04. I could be mistaken. Thanks for posting a pic with the holes in the trunk. I think I could live with it if I could get rid of that fugly gold bowtie. Maybe a little bit of Flat black will solve that. I do see a set of the Black "Altezza" style lights in my future. Thanks for the help.
Friday, March 08, 2013 1:59 PM
well heres what my friend did with his 04 panel (painted). I like it
His car is fully loaded LSS, very slick looking cavalier for sure!

Friday, March 08, 2013 3:39 PM
You could always paint the middle section like I did , turned out pretty good all blacked out

BLACKMANTIS
Friday, March 08, 2013 4:14 PM
Another cheap route would be to wrap the middle section. On a similar topic. How do I wire In 2002 LED tails on my 05?

Friday, March 08, 2013 5:47 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Another option is picking up a 95-02 carbon fiber trunk lid. All 95-02 trunk lids bolt right onto a 03-05 without any modification.

My 03 with a 95-02 ViS carbon fiber trunk lid and 00-02 taillights.

That license plate is awesome

Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:17 AM
While we are on the subject, Has anyone tried to remove the back bowtie on the center of the cluster? Does it come off as easy as they did on the 95-02 models?
Saturday, April 20, 2013 5:18 PM
You know what would look bad ass on the back of that, in place of the dogturd center light.... A brushed aluminum insert.
I just got to make friends witht eh flowjet juy now.
Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:57 AM
I remove my rear emblem so
I could paint it white and to tint my rear lights.. Also I bought a red LED strip to go in the tip behind the center bar for a 3rd brake light, can't say that I've seen anyone do that yet..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search