DIY - Toyota Cavalier Taillight Conversion (w/o Toyota Cavalier Taillight Harness) - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DIY - Toyota Cavalier Taillight Conversion (w/o Toyota Cavalier Taillight Harness)
Friday, February 27, 2015 10:26 PM
Hey guys so ive been looking everywhere for ways to install toyota cavalier taillights when you dont have the harness for them. Well with no luck i decided to get crafty and figure it out on my own and i did indeed! So if you are stuck like i was, im gonna show you exactly how to install them with some fabrication work and plenty of time and patience.

Things you'll need:

- Toyota Cavalier Taillights
    - An additional set of 3157 Taillight sockets with wire still attached (about 5-10inches)
    - 5-7ft. of additional wire
    - Wire Cutters
    - Wire Splicers
    - 10mm Socket for outer Taillights
    - 1/2inch Socket for inner Taillights
    - Male and Female wire connectors
    - Quick Splice connectors

Step One:First, your gonna want to go up by your steering wheel and tilt it down. Then you are gonna wanna pop the top part of your steering column cover off and locate the multifunction switch. (Pictured Below)

Locate the white wire on that switch and cut it, after doing that you are gonna want to tape the ends on it so that it doesnt short out on the steering column. After you do that simply tuck it in and place the cover back on.

Step Two: Second, your gonna want to go to the back and pull the carpet back away from the taillights. Once you do that youll see 3 different colored wires going to each side of the taillights.

Drivers Side:
    Black = Ground
    Brown = Parking Lights
    Yellow = Turn Signal/Brake Light

Passenger Side:
    Black = Ground
    Brown = Parking Lights
    Green = Turn Signal/Brake Light

Once you locate them, your going to want to cut both the yellow and green wires, but make sure you do so about 5-7inches away from the socket to give yourself some maneuverability.

Step Three: Next, you are gonna want to put a male connector onto the yellow and green wires that are attached to the bulbs. (Keep in mind we are only dealing with the brake light bulbs first)
Once you have that done, measure out wire to be ran from each taillight up to the third brake light. Once that is done attach female connectors to one end of each wire you just measured out. Now connect the male/female connectors and begin tucking the wire towards the third brake light. The ends will be quick spliced onto the white wire on the third brake light.

Step Four: Next, you are gonna want to attach a male connector onto the yellow and green wires that are attached the the sockets that will be used for the turn signals. Once that is done, you are going to attach female connectors onto both the original yellow and green wires of the cars harness, which will be used to activate signals.

Step Five: Once all that is done you are going to get 2 quick splices which will be used to attach the grounds of the turn signal sockets to the existing grounds for the brake lights. Simply crimp the quick splices attaching the ground of the turn signals to the ground of the brake lights. Make sure that you crimp them all the way because sometimes it might not fully make a connection and the build wont light up.

*****Remember the brown wires will not be touched in this whole process, so that means the brown wires on the new sockets will not be attached to anything so simply just trim them.*****

(Driver Side Sockets)

(Passenger Side Sockets)

(Ends of the wires quick spliced into the third brake light)

Step Six: Once all the wiring is done youre gonna need to fit the sockets into the taillights themselves. The brake light sockets should fit with no trouble at all. For me i simply trimmed the turn signal sockets tabs that lock it in place so that it would fit and lock. You can choose your own method to do that it is probably the easiest part of this conversion.

*****Keep in mind the brake light sockets need to be installed and locked before you mount the taillights themselves. Otherwise you wont be able to get them into place. The turn signal sockets can be placed and locked after its mounted.*****

Picture of my final product!

Video:
http://vid1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/PhishaDubstep/20150226_235252_zpsqojrlc3s.mp4

Well that is exactly how i built and installed my own harness for toyota taillights, if you have any questions or are stuck feel free to leave a comment and ill help you out!!

Instagram: @monstrr_

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search