GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!! - Page 2 - J-Body Meets Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 12:16 AM
ha pre-registration i think most people are too lazy to do that including me i just show up to a place on top of that this is the first time i ever saw anything on registration/pre-registration or whatever and at the same time i find out its cancelled, sucks i had a bunch of people excited for this including me, most people i talked to never even heard of this meet but when i told them they were all for it, advertising is key to getting people to do things or buy things and obviously for this it was majorly lacking, get the word out for next years bash with some fliers at shops and get places like gravana and aplusperformance to pack them into all their boxes shipped out just to get the word out more
idk but id really like to see this happen next year cuz this year is dissapointing




Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 5:44 AM
BlackEco wrote:

IMO reasons why the event would not be a success this year, or any year for that matter :

Venue Location (Middle of nowhere, 1/8 mile track is not a seller for most people, I personally could care less)
Poor Date (After school starts for majority of attendees)
and also from what I have seen, a lack of grass roots promotion of event, late announcement of event and uncertainty surrounding it.

From organizing large events in the past, Ive realized that if these three conditions arent met proficiently, you cant even begin to expect breaking even after you add up venue costs, labor, insurance, prizes, advertising, etc etc. If your going to do it, it needs to be balls out, take a risk, thats what business is about.


But what does that Matter when you take last year into consideration.

Venue Location : Last year was in Indy (Big City) @ IRP one of the best tracks in the Nation.
That track and everything cost around $25,000 for what 200 cars to show up.

This new location not the best track but yet it isn't part in his costs. Not the biggest location but all he needed was what 100 pre Regestrations to keep the show going. Actually really all you people needed to do was ONCE A MONTH GO TO GMSMALLCARBASH.COM AND JUST POST SOMETHING !!! Show some intrest.

Tim Also had a Pre Meet set up at Mid Ohio with S3 Magazine you know how many showed up? How about 0 !!! I would of been the only one to show up if my Sister wasn't getting married that weekend.

Yes I agree this year wasnt' the best location and all. But you people need to understand you sometimes need to take a step back before you take a step forward. Especially after a year like last year.

I dont' think you guys understand what a bad turnout like last year will do to a Car Show. It isn't just the loss of money for that year. You also have to look at the Vendors that paid and was at the show to advertise their products and service. Those same vendors might not sign on again if they don't think enough will show up and they have other venues to can go to.

I will say it again and again for the price of registration for this show I am willing to pay $50+


BlackEco This isn't just at you...... I am just venting



Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 5:58 AM
Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:06 AM
Well, I don't know what else to say other then it just sucks. I hated more then anyone to cancel this year but I had no choice. We're a month out and only had 4, yes 4 pre registrations. We've managed to keep this going for 8 years now and I think it's just done. Sorry all, it sucks I know, but that's just the reality of the situation.



-Tim



Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:19 AM
Well, we are still OVER a month and a half out and registration has been up for only two weeks

You hardly gave it a chance

Oh well, bitching about it is only that, because we ain't gonna bring it back

I am more than disappointed as this was going to be my first bash




Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 10, 2006 7:22 AM
Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:32 AM
1. Once again location was an issue. And yes, that means this year, last year, and St. Louis as well. Look at the population demographics. The bulk of the US population lives on the east coast. Holding the Bash in the middle of the country doesn't work. There are less people in that part of the country, plain and simple. When the Bash was in Ohio, you simply had a greater percentage of the people willing to drive to the show. Move it further west and you just knocked out most of New England, Ontario, Carolina's, Georgia and Florida. (the emphasis of course being New England. The thought of holding it in the middle of the country so more people will show is nice in theory, but does not work. You're still not going to get people from California to drive in Indy, ST. Louis, or Indiana. So without attracting California, what are you attracting? Colorado, North Dakota, Nebraska? Compare any of the states west of the Mississippi with those that are east . There is simply not enough intrest in those states to out weigh those in the east. Kentucky, Tennessee? Again, simply not enough people "in the scene" in these states. With gas prices the way they are, the show has to come to the people, not the other way around.

2. The Pre-meet. Okay, how about a little notice on this one. We got notice on June 1st about the event which was Jun 23rd and 24th. People basicly were given 3 weeks notice. Hard to get time off in that short of notice in the summer. A lot of places require you to have summer vacation time requested in advance. (many younger people work weekends)

3. The GMSC Bash Forums... Okay, how many people ever use that thing? Even for last year? What 200 cars showed, were there even 20 people talking on those forums? Face it, this is the board where everybody is at. You want people to talk about the bash, go back to having a bash forum on here. Why should we go onto that board and talk when everybody is already here?

I can really sympathize with Tim and the hastle of trying to organize a show further east based on where he lives and having the family. He works his ass off to try and make these things happen. Everyone appraciates that. But don't try and make it sound like it's our fault this happened. Perhaps better planning and the use of a "Bash Committee" to set it up would better serve Tim and in the end everyone. Use your resources in Ohio or wherever else to get things organized instead of having to fly out there several times.

But honestly, the biggest driving factor is you have to have the show where the largest percentage of people can get to it... And that is not in the middle of the country.



__________________________________________________________________
Performance cars do not win car shows and show cars do not win races.
It's up to you to decide which you'd rather win.


Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:36 AM
Tim Schilling Bash Coordinator wrote:

Well, I don't know what else to say other then it just sucks. I hated more then anyone to cancel this year but I had no choice. We're a month out and only had 4, yes 4 pre registrations. We've managed to keep this going for 8 years now and I think it's just done. Sorry all, it sucks I know, but that's just the reality of the situation.


And just a side note... I completely agree with the decision. You cannot base a business decision on a bunch of people saying they will show up on a message board. We have all seen what happens... everyone says they're in, then back out at the last second. All those that say otherwise would look at it differently if it were their money...




__________________________________________________________________
Performance cars do not win car shows and show cars do not win races.
It's up to you to decide which you'd rather win.


Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:44 AM
Ian I do agree with what you are saying, I do think they should put the forum back onto this board and have it intergrated with all of GME just like I think Off Topic should be intergrated with all the GME forum boards.

I also see where Tim is comming from and I understand.





Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 8:17 AM
Ian Lacey wrote:

1. Once again location was an issue. And yes, that means this year, last year, and St. Louis as well. Look at the population demographics. The bulk of the US population lives on the east coast. Holding the Bash in the middle of the country doesn't work. There are less people in that part of the country, plain and simple. When the Bash was in Ohio, you simply had a greater percentage of the people willing to drive to the show. Move it further west and you just knocked out most of New England, Ontario, Carolina's, Georgia and Florida. (the emphasis of course being New England. The thought of holding it in the middle of the country so more people will show is nice in theory, but does not work. You're still not going to get people from California to drive in Indy, ST. Louis, or Indiana. So without attracting California, what are you attracting? Colorado, North Dakota, Nebraska? Compare any of the states west of the Mississippi with those that are east . There is simply not enough intrest in those states to out weigh those in the east. Kentucky, Tennessee? Again, simply not enough people "in the scene" in these states. With gas prices the way they are, the show has to come to the people, not the other way around.

2. The Pre-meet. Okay, how about a little notice on this one. We got notice on June 1st about the event which was Jun 23rd and 24th. People basicly were given 3 weeks notice. Hard to get time off in that short of notice in the summer. A lot of places require you to have summer vacation time requested in advance. (many younger people work weekends)

3. The GMSC Bash Forums... Okay, how many people ever use that thing? Even for last year? What 200 cars showed, were there even 20 people talking on those forums? Face it, this is the board where everybody is at. You want people to talk about the bash, go back to having a bash forum on here. Why should we go onto that board and talk when everybody is already here?

I can really sympathize with Tim and the hastle of trying to organize a show further east based on where he lives and having the family. He works his ass off to try and make these things happen. Everyone appraciates that. But don't try and make it sound like it's our fault this happened. Perhaps better planning and the use of a "Bash Committee" to set it up would better serve Tim and in the end everyone. Use your resources in Ohio or wherever else to get things organized instead of having to fly out there several times.

But honestly, the biggest driving factor is you have to have the show where the largest percentage of people can get to it... And that is not in the middle of the country.


Well said, or typed rather.



Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 9:03 AM
Tim Schilling Bash Coordinator wrote:

Well, I don't know what else to say other then it just sucks. I hated more then anyone to cancel this year but I had no choice. We're a month out and only had 4, yes 4 pre registrations. We've managed to keep this going for 8 years now and I think it's just done. Sorry all, it sucks I know, but that's just the reality of the situation.



-Tim


Damn, I was one of the 4. This sucks.

I can't believe this is happening...






"Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt..."
Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 9:22 AM
i dont think ive ever pre registered, for the bash, i usually don't. i know we had 4-10 people from the indy area going. we allready new that this bash was going to be scaled back allot and didnt care. but some notice would have been nice that we had to preregister within two weeks time or it would be cancelled. you propbalby would have gotten allot more people to register if they new the bash would be cancelled if they didnt.


i agree about also posting bash info on here. i barely have enough time to keep up with this site let alone another site. i found out about the premeet the week before from nfamous or i could have possibly planned on attending that as well.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 9:31 AM
very disappointed as well. hell didn't even know pre-reg was open. thanks for the notice on here.



my carDomain updated 7/6/06

I've got premium. Yes I do. I've got premium. How 'bout you?
Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 9:35 AM
Ian Lacey wrote:

3. The GMSC Bash Forums... Okay, how many people ever use that thing? Even for last year? What 200 cars showed, were there even 20 people talking on those forums? Face it, this is the board where everybody is at. You want people to talk about the bash, go back to having a bash forum on here. Why should we go onto that board and talk when everybody is already here?



I heard through the grape vine dave really didnt want to continue a bash forum. my understanding he was upset that it went from the jbash to the gmsb.

thats just what i heard..... dont shoot the messenger.... we all know you want to.


anyway here is the way i see it. j owners are the cheapest, most unreliable people in the car scene. I used to set up meets for our indiana based club and i was lucky enough to get 10 people out to our meets. and 95% of the club said they would be there.

90% of the j world is either one or all of these.....

1. cheap... how bout frugal.. that is a better term

2. unreliable

3. or to bitchy.

take it how ever you want. im not saying everyone is that way, but 90% of the people ive met are that way.

i feel for tim and tonya, and i dont disagree with them canceling so soon. 10 people could come on here and say.... yada yada yada, im goin to pre-register tonight.... yada yada yada. i guarntee 8 out of the 10 dont, then come up with some lame ass excuse. imo, people rush to say there attending to see who else is going. if they dont see certian people going they decide not to register. or they say they will do one thing and something comes up. either way i would to be afraid to loose a good chunk of change if only 4 people registered after knowing about the show for a couple months.

i personally dont think the jbash will continue next year or further. sorry, i just dont think there is anymore interest. either people dont like the location, price, or the people holding it.

NOT EVERYTHING IS PERFECT..... DEAL WITH IT! IF you want to go to a show, then go, dont bitch!

wow im rambling, so now im done


/end rant





http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/miscellaneous/60612/


Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 11:50 AM
I didnt realize there was a pre reg, then again this is my 2nd time looking at the site or here on the .org. If I knew there was I would of posted it on my new home fiero.nl. I think cancelling it should be reconsidered and left open for another few weeks.



Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 11:56 AM
Quote:

Tim Also had a Pre Meet set up at Mid Ohio with S3 Magazine you know how many showed up? How about 0 !!! I would of been the only one to show up if my Sister wasn't getting married that weekend.


HA!!! Are you kidding?! Excuses, excuses, excuses! What makes you think other people didn't have prior arrangements as well?? Shoulda, woulda, coulda.....

Like previously mentioned: LACK of info....I didn't know of this pre-meet; and #2: even if you were aware of it, you were only given about 3 weeks notice!





Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 12:03 PM
Pre reg was actually open for about a month. Just didn't have the time to post it up on here. It's wasn't JUST for j-body's so moving it off of .org just made sense for the forums. It was also suppose to be cobaltss.net's national meet this year. But there just isn't enough interest.

A good example of that is the hotel list was online for over two weeks before somebody finally mentioned it here. TWO WEEKS. Just goes to show how often people checked the site or really even cared about it. Either way, it's too late. Sponsors have been notified, fairgrounds are cancelled, all too late. But [4]pre registrations just doesn't justify it. Not when I have a family to provide for. Anyways, I don't see any good in coming on here to explain/defend this. So good luck to you all with your future and present projects. Maybe we'll see you at another event someday.



-Tim



Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 2:33 PM
Everyone should just shut their mouths about not having enough notice about this event. Tim made the announcement for this years Bash on Sunday, April 23, 2006 2:53 PM. Which gave you 4 months to ask off work and get what else figured out. You guys literally stopped talking about the event after about a month. On Monday, June 19, 2006 9:56 PM we literally got Pre-Reg on line minutes after I post it. Also to figure in to the picture that the 4 pre-regs wasn't just from the JBO. So from what I read only 1 person from actually pre-registered and didn't post "Oh I'm going to coming...". (insert a sarcastic clap here) Way to support guys something you love guys. Don't say "I'm gonna come" or "I've got 5 people coming with me" you guys should have done the pre-reg earlier, it was up for almost a month. All Tim needed was at least 100 pre-reg and the event would have stayed afloat.

Tim tried to have a great event last year, and what happened? A lack of support from the J-Body community is the biggest thing I could think of, especially since that this event has been special catered to you guys for past 7 years. I know I heard a lot of "Oh, but its not the same event." comments, but all I have to say is Bull@!#$. You guys still had all your classes and then some, we made DAMN sure about that, cause we didn't want to lose you guys. For the majority a bunch of the J-Body owners turned their backs on the event, cause it included other cars.

Yes location wasn't the best, unlike last years past, but Tim has a family and an awesome job now to worry about. He just cant take off a week and come out to Ohio like he use to and get stuff set up like he used to. That is why it was closer to St. Louis the last couple of years. The first Bash was held in Bowling Green Kentucky, which I will assume to say there was no track involved, cause something like 30 cars got involved. So why were so many people bitching about a 1/8 mile track? Isn't it better than nothing? I know for me it was going to be.

In short people, don't bitch about something you love, cause someday it will be gone, like today. My first Bash was the '03 Bash here in St. Louis. Seeing all the cars at the track, all the fun in the hotel, and helping Kevin drink the second keg that got tapped, I was hooked from there on. After that event I've helped Tim out with the 2004 Bash. Driving 13 hours to the upper part of Ohio to the Lords Town Assembly Plant and helping out at the Thompsons Track. Sleeping for a total 12 hours in 4 days. Red Bull was my friend that weekend. Speaking of friends I will miss seeing Lenko, Kevin from Winnipeg, Carrie from Northern IL, and the very nice and polite couple from the Carolina's that literally got done painting their cars that week so they could make the events in Ohio and Indy. And it also makes me said to say I most likely will not see them again, cause this was the only time I got to see them. Not to metion all the friends that I probally would have made this year. I will also miss seeing the Event Staff: EROD, Brett, Dave, Jason, Jackass, Skinny J, and Paul. Now all I have to remember the good times we had is this photo.






Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 3:02 PM
well, i guess i can understand cancelling. i know i hadn't preregistered yet. just found out it was up. tony (cannon fodder) told me last night that the bash was cancelled. i was upset. i went to the last 2 (lordstown and indy) and i had a great time. last year's actually made my girlfriend understand why i mod my car. until she came to the show and saw everyone she didn't get it. i do think a farther east location (like ian said) would be cool since i'm in ny. would i still make the 16 hour drive to marion, il if tim came back on here and said 'the bash is back on'? you'd better believe i would. and i'd prereg as soon as i found out cause i wouldn't want it to get cancelled again. i guess now i can just take the money i was going to be using for gas and a hotel and the registration to put toward my car. still blows though. i hope we can pick things back up next year. i was really looking forward to this year since it included more stuff than past years (events fri-sun instead of just fri and sat) please give this another shot next year. hopefully people will realize what they missed this year and support the bash a lot more next year.



Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 3:30 PM
My main problem was location, and that definitely showed through. I'm in south eastern Michigan and it's a 10 hour drive to where it was going to be held. Next year, if there is a next year, have it farther east.



http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 5:04 PM
Dang this sux!!! I was really looking foward to get those jbod chat whores drunk!


Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 6:50 PM
Arnjolt wrote:

My main problem was location, and that definitely showed through. I'm in south eastern Michigan and it's a 10 hour drive to where it was going to be held. Next year, if there is a next year, have it farther east.
10 hours and your complaining? Really? Seriously?



Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:12 PM
Jackass wrote:

Arnjolt wrote:

My main problem was location, and that definitely showed through. I'm in south eastern Michigan and it's a 10 hour drive to where it was going to be held. Next year, if there is a next year, have it farther east.
10 hours and your complaining? Really? Seriously?
No crap.. We need a Lenko Rant... Hes been everywhere!



P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:22 PM
Well I totally understand why they canceled. It is a business for Tim, not just having fun. I realize that. This coming from a person that was not planning on attending this year(because I just can't afford to). If I could have I would have drove to any location, but totally agree with what Ian said. Location plays a big part!!! Yes a good part of J-Body owners are cheap, so gas prices, and distance matters. I have never 100% understood why move the locations from the areas that worked. Now saying that I do understand for Tim because he has a family to worry about and that is most important, but being as this is business decision driven location should be included. Yes you can not make everyone happy, and never will, but what are your biggest complaints?? Track size, and location. I'm sure some got pissy over other cars being envolved,. but oh well. I think it was a great thing making it all GM small cars. I have done the same thing for our monthly j meets.
Instead of bitch at the J-Body community, why not bitch at the Cobalt community as well, because if only 4 people pre-registered then they did not support either, but should we be pointing fingers?? No.
I will also agree the J-Bash site has never been where I got my info. I understand having it for registering and such since there would be many different cars envolved, but the info should be posted on the ORG, on CobaltSS.net, and any Saturn sites ( I'm not saying it was not posted on these sites because it was, just saying should not be dependant on the J-bash site, and complaining no one uses it). There is a reason it is not used.

It sucks to hear it had to be canceled, but Tim you did the right thing. I hope there will be another next year because I would like to go. Also for any pre-meets you might want to have, Florida has a annual show every year (for 7 years), and this year we included other GM FWD cars as well. Maybe planning early could help everyone out for a next year.



FU Tuning



Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:34 PM
ImPhat0260/Cavattack2000 wrote:

Jackass wrote:

Arnjolt wrote:

My main problem was location, and that definitely showed through. I'm in south eastern Michigan and it's a 10 hour drive to where it was going to be held. Next year, if there is a next year, have it farther east.
10 hours and your complaining? Really? Seriously?
No crap.. We need a Lenko Rant... Hes been everywhere!


Sorry, I don't like most of you people enough to drive more than maybe 6 hours one way.



http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Re: GMSC Bash Registration now online. $25!!!
Monday, July 10, 2006 7:51 PM
I'm still going, 9+ hours I'm going damn it!! Anyone with me? Seriously? We need something, Hell Michigan could have a bash of it's own, we have enought J's here to do so.



My Myspace Page
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search