Hoyos Named Sport Compact Driver Of The Year - News Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hoyos Named Sport Compact Driver Of The Year
Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:39 PM on
POMONA, Calif., Oct. 26, 2004 - Chevrolet's Nelson Hoyos was named Turbo Magazine Driver of the Year during Sunday's NHRA Summit Sport Compact Series awards ceremony held in the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum at the L.A. County Fairplex.

"The Turbo Magazine Driver of the Year award is a tremendous honor and something won not just by myself, but by everybody on the GM Racing team," said Hoyos. "This was a complete surprise, but a wonderful way to end the season. I want to thank Turbo Magazine for even considering me for the award, and everyone at Chevrolet and GM Racing for the opportunity to drive this remarkable racecar."

Re: Hoyos Named Sport Compact Driver Of The Year
Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:40 PM on
Chevrolet's Nelson Hoyos Named
Turbo Magazine Sport Compact
Driver Of The Year

POMONA, Calif., Oct. 26, 2004 - Chevrolet's Nelson Hoyos was named Turbo Magazine Driver of the Year during Sunday's NHRA Summit Sport Compact Series awards ceremony held in the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum at the L.A. County Fairplex.

"The Turbo Magazine Driver of the Year award is a tremendous honor and something won not just by myself, but by everybody on the GM Racing team," said Hoyos. "This was a complete surprise, but a wonderful way to end the season. I want to thank Turbo Magazine for even considering me for the award, and everyone at Chevrolet and GM Racing for the opportunity to drive this remarkable racecar."

The 2004 campaign turned out to be another outstanding year for the Chevy Cavalier Pro FWD driver who clinched his second straight championship this past weekend at Pomona Raceway. Over the course of the 10-event season, Hoyos drove his ECOtec-powered Chevy Cavalier to five national-event victories, advanced to nine final rounds and earned low qualifying honors six times. At Englishtown (N.J.), Hoyos' Chevrolet set a national elapsed-time record of 7.406 seconds and at the season finale at Pomona Raceway, the ECOtec-powered Cavalier roared to a new national speed record of 194.88 mph.

"We had a great comeback this year that made winning the championship that much sweeter," said Hoyos. "Our Chevrolet ran 194 miles-per-hour not once, but three times over the weekend at Pomona. This race team did exactly what they said they were going to do and they never gave up. I'm very, very proud of what they were able to accomplish."

Other drivers nominated for the 2004 Turbo Magazine Driver of the Year award included Stephan Papadakis, Lisa Kubo, Matt Scranton and Brad Personnet.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest vehicle manufacturer, employs 325,000 people globally in its core automotive business and subsidiaries. Founded in 1908, GM has been the global automotive sales leader since 1931. GM today has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in more than 190 countries. In 2003, GM sold more than 8.6 million cars and trucks, nearly 15 percent of the global vehicle market. GM's global headquarters is at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM and its products can be found on the company's consumer website at www.gm.com.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search