Canadians in Iraq... - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Canadians in Iraq...
Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:30 AM on j-body.org
Just a thought for those of us on the board of the Canuck persuasion:

News this morning is stating that the US is about to formally request NATO allies' help in Iraq so that they could start winding down US control of the area. <a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1107615996404_26/?hub=TopStories">Link</a> The number that I've seen is 40 troops.. really a pittance. The Us currently has over 150,000 troops deployed in Iraq.

Now, Prime Minister Martin campaigned during the election that he was strongly opposed to sending any Canadian troops into Iraq for any reason. He further warned that Steven Harper would have sent troops to Iraq should he become PM, and that there were memoranda to that effect.

At this point I want to see what other people think of this... I'll start off because I'm an agitator.

Personally, I would have to weigh out the benefits of sending people to Iraq before making any real concrete decision. I know that I personally did not have any good feelings about the invasion, and I personally think it's caused more harm to the whole of the Mid-east than good.

I would say that if Martin didn't want to look like a hypocrit, he'd keep people out of there in the capacity of full out warriors. We didn't as a country support the War, and doing so now is a slap in the face to those that voted for the Liberal Party, as well, it taints his credibility (if you live in ontario, you know about Dalton McGuinty...) because then he's just another politician that will say and promise anything to get in, then bollocks to anyone that tells him what to do.

Personally, the tasset show of solidarity is not something I would appreciate, because frankly, I don't think the Area will be stable in 10 years... and why go in there to help out in something we didn't approve of in the first place? I mean, if the US (and by that, I mean Bush) were to ask the UN on the whole for help, that's one thing... Asking only Selected NATO countries (not Germany, France or Russia) to help is in effect an international old boy's club manifesting itself. It smells rotten. Either broach the idea to NATO as a whole, or the UN as a whole, or stick it the hell out yourselves because you damned well got yourself into that mess. At least, that's my 2 cents worth.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Re: Canadians in Iraq...
Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:21 PM on j-body.org
yeah, its kinda messed up if canada sends troops, if canada didn't support the war, they shouldn't send troops, no hard feelings

flip side: if they do, it will be good for iraq, ive served with canada before when i was in bosnia, and lemme tell ya, those were some really well trained and good soldiers, id say that brittain and canada are my favorite armies besides the us

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:37 PM on j-body.org
That would truely suck if we send in troops, US went in on this on there own and should fix the problem on there own. Nobody should help them on this one, they didn't seek approval from anybody.... Athough it wouldn't be suprizing if canada did help because martin has to kiss a$$ like crazy. Next thing you know they will be after alberta's oil.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Monday, February 07, 2005 3:11 AM on j-body.org
^^^ We export about 35% of our total oil production. Goes right to the US.

Mike: Canada has a professional, if ill-equipped military. If you think the US has had it's military spending eroded over the years, Canada's is on the brink of becoming merely a defensive force. Sadly.

I think that sending troops at this point is a poor idea only because it sets a standard that Canada is only willing to help when it's opportune.

BTW, thanks to which ever mod fixed up my lil oopsie there, it's much appreciated.

Monday, February 07, 2005 12:09 PM on j-body.org
I'll go if I have to...
Monday, February 07, 2005 12:15 PM on j-body.org
i wont even put a finger in Iraq. I dont support this war and will never be. US gotta repair there own error by there own. If Canada send trops there well i wont support it to. We are best defending and helping out then starting war for nothing...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Monday, February 07, 2005 3:24 PM on j-body.org
ccanuk: I'll bet I'll be there once the Iraqi National Police get organised.

Monday, February 07, 2005 3:52 PM on j-body.org
i just dont feel we should go in there. bush has to learn from his mistakes (pretzels lol)and should foot 100% of the bill. if NATO would have approved and the UN inspectors would have finished i would be on the other end ,but im not. im not sure but are we not just starting to pull troops out of afganistan. are military is just.....just .....just sad.

i knew we exported oil just was'nt sure of the %. we will see how iran turns out

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Monday, February 07, 2005 9:35 PM on j-body.org
really GAM, didn't know that about the canadian army.......last time i saw them they seemed pretty well equipped and stuff......guess times are getting hard on them, that really is sad,

and yeah your right, sending troops right now will not look good, and besides, if the manpower is low, its not worth it to even send them in the first place

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 4:07 AM on j-body.org
Our top General was just before our government practically begging for more resources. It's a sad day when that has to happen. Our military is well equipped when compaired to many nation's armed forces, but we are a NATO nation and that means we must live up to that commitment. Right now, that's what we do, we meet the commitment levels. Our comms need to be current with other NATO nations, etc, etc etc. So that we can effectively participate in NATO actions. We don't want to be the poor kids on the block with 10 year old toys. Why is it the Candian Sea Kings suck, but the UK's Sea Kings are considered near top performing craft? Money, for maintanence, and money for upgrades. We have been keeping them flying, that's all. I'm sure there are many other examples. Our top aircraft is the CF18, now a rather dated platform, and the lovingly crafted planes have rudder controls that have corroded through in some cases, making me wonder just what kind of Ti is that?

PAX
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 6:10 AM on j-body.org
As Hahahaha said, we're working with old stuff. We're barely able to meet our UN and NATO commitments, and basically our military is about 15 years from total collapse into merely a national defence force.

Mike, in Bosnia, Canada was using IIRC borrowed patrol craft, I don't think we had the Coyote craft that we have now..

Either way, the stuff that Bombardier has been putting out has really been below-par at a par cost. Personally, I think that if Canada wants to remain a nation that can keep honoring our commitments to the UN, and NATO, we need to start re-equipping, and re-thinking our armed forces strategies. The combined force idea that was introduced about 30 years ago was a bad one, IMHO, because it doesn't make for any internal competition... one homogenous military seems not quite right to me.

If we started actually re-tooling, I think we'd have to start looking outside of the US and Canada for bid on things like aircraft and Tanks. Fmr. Soviet fighters would present an ideal value because they are not only technically very close to what would be used in Defensive operations, it'd give the US a dissimilar training opportunity that until now, could only be had in the new Germany. Similarly with Tanks. Maybe Swedish aircraft also... Either way, it's going to cost money, and there would need to be a LOT of people accept early retirement (Canada has a higher General to soldier ratio than any other country except maybe Russia), and a lot of people would have to start really working to make things better. I have to say that one of the positive things that came out of the Reagan administration in the US, is that the military was re-vitialised into a better unit than ever.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:30 AM on j-body.org
GAM, worked with a few RCMP in Bosnia... good people to work with, I hope if we do send some troops to Iraq we get support from the rest of NATO and don't end up doing it alone...

I'm not really allowed to make comments on government policy

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/intro_e.asp
all kinds of good info in there about the CDN Forces policies and what not

http://www.army.ca/ a forum site for the canadian military but others are welcome (Aussies spend some time in there too)... some really good info in there on many subjects including the Strikers which are replacing our Leopard III Main Battle Tanks which are going into storage
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 9:12 AM on j-body.org
Whatever Canada's government policy is--it HAS to be better than the assclowns in america...

As for Canada's involvement with Iraq....sure, if us Yankee capitolist pigdogs hand over the reigns of the operation to the UN, Canada, Germany, or other nation that wss not involved in "The case of the missing WoMD"

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 10:54 AM on j-body.org
ccanuk:
I'm not really either, but I do anyhow.. We're friends here, and my NCO i/c dept. knows where I stand on a lot of things.. I'm allowed a lot more latitude as a civillian.

A lot of the RCMP you worked with IIRC were from A, K, and M division (Ottawa, Northern Alberta, and Manitoba... I'll recheck though)... RCMP officers are considered Military when under UN mandate. Either way, I know that most that did patrol (not many) weren't axious to start a firefight... but got the situation resolved.. very Canadian.

KOTL:
Let's look at it this way, as Scott Adams would say:

A retarded monkey could pound back 24 beer, and still be able to perform most Whitehouse functions.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 11:26 AM on j-body.org
..and how's that different from the shrubbery?

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:07 PM on j-body.org
^^^ My point ezzakly.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 7:41 AM on j-body.org
The RCMP are recignized as Canadian Peacekeepers but are no longer part of DND even though they started out as Artillery and Cavalry, however you still cannot join both the CF and the RCMP as if there is a national crisis that requires the call up of both RCMP and the CF which one do you work for?

instead of setting a priority of one over the other, it's just not allowed...

*shrug* though I wouldn't mind switching to RCMP if there was an opening for a Comms guy
Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:11 AM on j-body.org
Check Jobs. gc.ca...

There may be something in N.O.C. Are you working in Sigs?

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:51 PM on j-body.org
Hey, GAM, since you have inside information, when Washington Secedes to Canada, think i could get a post in the RCKY?

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, February 11, 2005 11:02 AM on j-body.org
R.. C... K... Y...?

umm...

I know I'm being set up here... but what is the RCKY?

Oh wait...

Kilted Yaksmen... got it...

I suppose... how good are you at doing horse feces fibrecounts?

Friday, February 11, 2005 11:46 AM on j-body.org
I'm a quick learner... Besdies, i just love the song...

Our Country reeks of trees

Our yaks are really large

And they smell like rotting beef carcasses

And we have to clean up after them

And our saddle soars are the best

We proudly wear woman's clothing

And searing sand blows up our skirts

And the buzzards, they soar overhead

And poisonous snakes will devour us whole

Our bones will bleach in the sun

And we will probably go to hell

And that is our great reward

For being the-uh Ro-yal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Friday, February 11, 2005 5:22 PM on j-body.org
lol... the guy that created Ren & Stimpy is from Ottawa...

Monday, February 14, 2005 8:31 AM on j-body.org
GAM, yeah, I'm a sigs op out in NB at the moment... going to Shilo MB for the summer to complete my Primary Leadership Qual.. after that I may go full time through the direct entry program and transfer to 3ASG - I've worked for the WO before in Germany, or I might see what the RCMP has to offer.
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:44 AM on j-body.org
Thinking Civillian or Reg. Member?

Monday, February 14, 2005 12:22 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

i wont even put a finger in Iraq. I dont support this war and will never be

I feel the same way bro.

I was thinking about joining the Can army but im kinda worried about it. Like what would be the best position to apply for in the army, what are the kind of things u guys do on a daily basis and what should i expect if i join, oh yea and how much do you make per month. All this is still up in the air just wanted to know how things work in army. Thanks guys.

~*Gilles*~

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search