As much as I don't agree with Bush's policies on: - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
As much as I don't agree with Bush's policies on:
Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:10 AM on j-body.org
War, Marriage, Women's Rights, Overreaching Executive Power, etc., I would like to thank him for the extra $2,000 tax break that is now buying me a HDTV and car parts...

No, I'm not being hypocrite, the "Continuing Education" program to promote education beyond college is one of the few programs I agree with...at least on the surface, and in what it tries to do (not whether or not it will be successful).

Re: As much as I don't agree with Bush's policies
Thursday, February 17, 2005 2:59 PM on j-body.org
Brett: hope that tax break doesn't end up costing you in the end.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:06 PM on j-body.org
Eh, I doubt it will be that successful as a program overall...I can't imagine an extra $2K per year would give that much incentive to pursue post-graduate education...

Was there something else you were thinking of instead? You really couldn't have been more vague...lmao.

Friday, February 18, 2005 5:23 AM on j-body.org
Tax breaks are nice and all but the country is running a HUGE deficit, there should be no tax breaks for ANYONE till the deficit is back to a surplus.

As a Canadian we are getting a federal tax "break" (lowered as we are currently running the country with a surplus.
Friday, February 18, 2005 10:51 AM on j-body.org
Canadians are funny.

We don't spend money if we don't have it. Thus if we save our money and don't spend it companies loose money. Companys go out of business that bigger part of the tax income goes down. Less money in taxes, government takes out loans, Debt increases.

Calculated tax breaks encourage people to spend money. Bretts taking his tax break and buying a new TV, which lets say he buys it from best buy, best buy makes money, they pay more in taxs, and if the goverment stops spending more on things like war, the deficit will go down. We are never going to have a surplus when we are at war.

Friday, February 18, 2005 12:39 PM on j-body.org
Emor8t:

What do you mean you don't spend money if you don't have it? Canadian and US personal debts (not including Mortgages) runs at about $18K per person.

The average North American has about $8000 of revolving credit card debt.

Friday, February 18, 2005 2:45 PM on j-body.org
Government runs on theorys GAM. Thats just the counter argument to bad kittys post.
Stats dont do much for me most of the time because I could probably look up something showing how when tax breaks occur spending goes up. And if they are in debt, it could have accured by spending more money than they should have when they got the refunds back. There is no perfect solution. You cut back tax breaks, your people have less money, may take longer to overcome debt through taxes. Other hand if you give tax breaks you have more of a negative budget but the increase in money back from taxes is greater. Their is just 8 billion ways to factor things. I can't pretend to know them all. Forevery comment you make im sure someone will have a counter argument for that, and vice versa. It's called politics, haha. Honestly Im just so sick of the whiners in the world. Oh Bush sucks, kerrys stupid, tony blair this, lousy French that. OH BOOO HOOO cry me a river. I hate all this stupid bumper stickers that just say Bush is an idiot or kerry is stupid. I voted for Bush and i had my reasons. But you know what the number one thing I heard for reasons to vote for Kerry. "Well, He aint BUSH". Honestly you cannot give a more lacadasical (SP), ignorant, bufoon like comment than that. Obviouslys hes not Bush, but tell me why he woudl be a better choice for president. Nobody could convince me that he was so...

I actaully talked to one calm and collective rational person that voted for Kerry, she had som very good reason, and I had the same thoughts, but It wasn't as important to me as it was to her. Im so tired of unintelligant arguments and people yelling at each other on both sides.

Friday, February 18, 2005 3:49 PM on j-body.org
Some people throw their vote away on the best looking candidate, or figure better the devil you know.

There's no real right reason to vote for someone.

As far as politics goes, sure, it's fluid, you can pretty much expect all Rep's to toe the party line (or gravy train as I call it) and Dem's to disagree because Bush is a VERY divisive factor.

Anyhow, back to money, it's about economics... the US is still accruing WAY more debt than it can handle easily... What happens when the US loses more of its manufacturing capability to asia? the economy deflates and the dollar goes down in value. Basically the government will have devalued everything because it hasn't been covering its debts, and it lost a good portion of it's earning potential. Basically, it becomes Great Britian. Not a good thing especially with the Social security crunch looming large.

Friday, February 18, 2005 5:56 PM on j-body.org
Pork barrel poltics are king. Billion ways to skin a cat. If they'd actaully follow a plan they wouldn't be up a creek without a paddle. Everything seems irrelavant when dealing with politicians anyway, cause whatever they say, aint going to happen.

Saturday, February 19, 2005 1:55 PM on j-body.org
I got 159 bucks back he can go to hell he didnt do @!#$ for me

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:06 PM on j-body.org
Emor8t:
Well, it won't happen exactly as they say because it will be compromised into oblivion. Not JUST by the opposing party either, might I add.

Rodimus:
I guess you need to settle down and have kids then...

Monday, February 21, 2005 5:14 PM on j-body.org
Pork Chop Sandwiches!!! wrote:War, Marriage, Women's Rights, Overreaching Executive Power, etc., I would like to thank him for the extra $2,000 tax break that is now buying me a HDTV and car parts...

No, I'm not being hypocrite, the "Continuing Education" program to promote education beyond college is one of the few programs I agree with...at least on the surface, and in what it tries to do (not whether or not it will be successful).

<<< Thinks of what hes gonna do with his extra $2k
Monday, February 21, 2005 7:02 PM on j-body.org
The word "Politics" is an excellent word for what it describes...

"Poli" in Latin meaning many... and "Tics" being blood sucking creatures

Monday, February 21, 2005 7:59 PM on j-body.org
When looking at what politics have become, locke and montesqeiue, among others would have just shut up.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:24 AM on j-body.org
The current deficit is 521 Billion. hat does not include th ecost of military operations in Iraq and Aphganistan. Congress gave Bush a blank check to wage this war, I could kick the democrats for rolling over and dying in fear of being called unpatriotic, but htats not the point here. The two cost us roughly 5 billion a month, on the low side. Times 12 is 60 billion $. Plus another supplemental 80 billion. Of course there will be more supplementals but we'll ignore those for now. That gives us 660 billion dollars in deficit. That means the Bush administration is spending 1.8 Billion dollars in the red daily, all while cutting taxes everywhere...........

What's cooler..than being cool?
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 4:29 AM on j-body.org
bad _kitty wrote:Tax breaks are nice and all but the country is running a HUGE deficit, there should be no tax breaks for ANYONE till the deficit is back to a surplus.

As a Canadian we are getting a federal tax "break" (lowered as we are currently running the country with a surplus.

can I ask the obvious question?

when HAVENT we had a huge deficit?

and does any country not have a deficit?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 8:25 AM on j-body.org
uh about five years ago their was asurplus.

the dollar has fallen 30% against the euro since 2000, and is still falling. Soon it will lose reserve status with the world bank. The oil states will not want to trade using it as they lose out. China's yuan will soon float against the dollar, once that happens...collapse.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:15 AM on j-body.org
97icecold wrote:The current deficit is 521 Billion. hat does not include th ecost of military operations in Iraq and Aphganistan. Congress gave Bush a blank check to wage this war, I could kick the democrats for rolling over and dying in fear of being called unpatriotic, but htats not the point here. The two cost us roughly 5 billion a month, on the low side. Times 12 is 60 billion $. Plus another supplemental 80 billion. Of course there will be more supplementals but we'll ignore those for now. That gives us 660 billion dollars in deficit. That means the Bush administration is spending 1.8 Billion dollars in the red daily, all while cutting taxes everywhere...........

honestly what country does not spend more then it makes? I agree that we spend too much but opertaing in the plus was achieved by clinton by cutting program out as he got into office, especially the 5 billion dollar missle defense system

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:17 PM on j-body.org
It puts the USS economy in the hands of its investors, the Saudi's, Chinese, and Japanese. The Saudi's investments and cash influx account for close to 5% of the gross national product I believe. China has 84 billion invested in the US treasury. Japan has more. What happens when they begin pulling funds in the near future?

"opertaing in the plus was achieved by clinton by cutting program out as he got into office, especially the 5 billion dollar missle defense system"

BECAUSE IT DOESN"T WORK!!!!!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:33 PM on j-body.org
As Icecold has already answered there was a surplus of at least 5 billion BEFORE Bush came into office and it was maintained for about 5 years for the US.

Canada has been running a surplus for about 8 years and will continue to do so hopefully.

You cannot get anywhere by spending more than what you bring in, it is commen sense

Too bad common sense is not common
Thursday, February 24, 2005 8:51 AM on j-body.org
we did get to a surplus with clinton, course thats easy to do when u dont have a recession or a war or anything else going on. the country moans and groans about taxes and paying to much taxes for as long as i can remember. even when we had a defecit, we finally get a few breaks, and all everyone can complain about is getting tax breaks, does anyone ever get the impression that whoever is in the presidents chair, will never catch a break.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:41 AM on j-body.org
the war was Bush's own fault.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, February 24, 2005 1:44 PM on j-body.org
The IRAQ "war: is the government's fault, they allowed it and used up the majority of the surplus to fund it. I do not believe that had the goverment had a "vote" for the public (where the public decides and not the government similar to the gay marriage question on ballots this year) to go to war and how much it would cost and wipe out any chance for social security for future generations, that people would have voted for it.

Even with all the WMD hype that was heard it was stated that the weapons could not be used to reach the US.

Anyway, way off topic.

Again you have to spend less than what you bring in or spend the same amount to prosper.

It is common sense
Monday, March 07, 2005 4:02 AM on j-body.org
Clinton NEVER had a surplus. It was a predicted surplus for the future. The U.S. has ALWAYS been in debt. I cant say much about Canadas surplus you guys are talking about because I dont follow that stuff but Im sure if Canada had to maintain there own military capable of defending its country instead of relying on the U.S. to defend it your surplus wouldn't be quite so high.
Monday, March 07, 2005 4:14 AM on j-body.org
By the way Canada, you dont have a surplus either. I just looked it up and you are also in debt. How can that be? Your not even fighting a war!

Canadian Federal Debt

Also, I know no one was arguing about this but I just thought it was a good statistic for the Canadians telling us Americans on how to spend our money, I was just noticing that the U.S. unemployment rate was lower than yours .

US Bureau of Labor

Looks like throwing all your money at social programmes doesnt really help unemployment does it?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search