Who says there is no Liberal bias in academia? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Who says there is no Liberal bias in academia?
Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:14 AM on j-body.org
It seems that throughout the halls of Academia, just as in the newsrooms across this country, a new rule has emerged that supersedes all other rules;

No Matter What, Cover the Asses of Your Colleagues.

More...
We witnessed the reassignment of Dan Rather, rather than his firing. We still see Ward Churchill on the payroll of the U of C. And now, we see the University of Akron’s Theater Professor Susan Speers found “not guilty” of fraud by a committee of her peers (The Faculty Rights and Responsibilities Committee).

The Associated Press reports that a University committee has ruled that Speers did not commit fraud, when she brought Michael Moore to speak to her “Introduction to Theater through Film” class at a University facility just days before the election. The issue is that no fees were charged for the use of the facility. U of A’s indoor facilities may be used for political purposes, but not at the expense of taxpayers, thus, the sponsor must pay a rental fee for the facility. Speers paid nothing to the University for the use of the facility.

The committee informed Speers that she was off the hotseat in a letter which stated that “"there was no fraudulent intent” on her part. I don’t know what barometers the committee uses to gauge “intent”, but based on Speers own words; she certainly knew the Moore Speech was going to be political in nature.

In fact, she told Madelin Equivel, a reporter for the Akron Beacon Journal, in an interview that; ( it’s a subscription site, if you look hard enough, I’m sure you will find a link.)

``Now I can let the cat out of the bag,’’ she said. ``It is political.’’The Beacon Journal reports:

Film lecture a ploy; it’s all about voting

By Posted on Sun, Oct. 31, 2004

Michael Moore urges action, stumps for Kerry

By Madelin Esquivel

Beacon Journal staff writer

For those coming to University of Akron professor Susan Speers’ Introduction to Theater Through Film class to hear guest lecturer Michael Moore talk about the influence film has on society, Saturday’s class was probably a disappointment.

For those coming to hear why Moore thinks U.S. Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., should be president, it was a pleasure.
The event that drew 400 enthusiastic people, mostly Kerry supporters, to UA’s Knight Auditorium was originally called ``an educational opportunity’’ so that Speers could use the facility free of charge.

``Now I can let the cat out of the bag,’’ she said. ``It is political.’’

Speers jokingly said it was a good thing the class had the word film in its title or she couldn’t have pulled off the event.
She even paid for the security—five bodyguards and campus police—out of her own pocket.

Did you notice the date on that interview? It was four months ago. That’s plenty of time for this committee to investigate and find the story. If they did find it, they sure ignored it to issue a statement that they found “there was no fraudulent intent”. What kind of crack-pot committee is doing the investigating when they can’t see fraud, especially when the person being investigated ADMITS fraud?

I’ll tell you what kind, a cover-your-ass-look-out-for-your-own-kind committee. They just choose to ignore their own rules, rather than enforce them as long as the person being investigated is a good Liberal Crony.
I wonder if they are aware that the actions of Speers , a State Employee, were not only against the rules of the University, but also against Ohio State Law, as noted in this excerpt from Governor Taft’s Memorandum, which took effect way back in 1999?

BOB TA F T, G O V E R N O R, ST A T E O F OHIO
M E M O R A N D U M -~~-~-~~~-
Cabinet Advisory No.: 99-26
TO: Department Directors
Chief Legal Counsel
Governor’s Senior Staff
Bill Klatt, Chief Legal Counsel &&
. DATE: August 6,1999
RE..
Political Activity Policy
This policy sets forth guidelines for state employees who want to participate in political activities or run for elected office. .At the outset, we emphasize that state employees are strongly encouraged to exercise their Constitutional right to vote and to actively participate in our political process to the extent permitted by law.

However, as set forth below, unclassified employees have far greater latitude than classified employees to engage in political activities. Even if a political activity is permitted, state employees are prohibited from participating in such activities while on state time or on state owned or leased property. State time does not include lunch hours, vacation, compensatory hours earned or personal leave. Nor may state employees use state equipment while engaged in political activities, including but not limited to, computer equipment, copiers, bulletin boards, or state vehicles.
State employees who participate in any political activity prohibited by Ohio law or by policies established by this Administration are subject to disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

Is this the biggest deal in the world? No, of course not. It may be a small infraction, but these things are starting to add up. Professor Speers should be disciplined when she returns from her “sabbatical”. Will she? I doubt it, just as Moore got a pass when he violated election law several times during the campaign both in the US and Canada.
At least we now all know the back story to the “Professor Acquitted” headlines we have been reading everywhere. Another broken law, and more complacency from the powers that be.

Re: Who says there is no Liberal bias in academia?
Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:52 AM on j-body.org
In context not of this argument....I HATE BOB FU(KIN TAFT

www.emor8t.deviantart.com
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:13 AM on j-body.org
Emor8t wrote:I HATE BOB FU(KIN TAFT

I second that motion.

Monday, March 14, 2005 3:44 PM on j-body.org
ward churchill may be a liberal hack, but it is his right to say wat he said via the constitution, and he cant be fired for it. it was an analysis of the situation, although ill timed and insensitive. but he said it 4 damn years ago! , so why now is it a big deal all of a sudden? there are bigger issues to be discussed and learned of than what some professor said, who is part indian, and proably has a bit of a grudge against the Anglo-dominated political system which systematically exterminated his native people.

What's cooler..than being cool?
Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:51 AM on j-body.org
97icecold wrote:ward churchill may be a liberal hack, but it is his right to say wat he said via the constitution, and he cant be fired for it.

No but he can be fired for saying he is a Native American when is is not. And that would be to the benefit of all the people that go to that college.

somthing like 98 percent of college professors are liberal democrats.
Yes its Bull@!#$. Yes it's biased. Yes Michael Moore is a complete and total Anti-American, Anti-military, fat slob of whale blubber mixed with a stupid looking face and a walnut sized brain.

My other car is an interceptor.
Monday, March 21, 2005 12:14 AM on j-body.org
No but he can be fired for plagiarism which he is now being investigated for and he does have his right to say whatever he wants, as long as its not a lie or slanderous. He has recently admitted he has not native american background.
Monday, March 21, 2005 2:38 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Yes Michael Moore is a complete and total Anti-American
I'm no Michael Moore fan, but just in what way is he "Anti-American"?! Just because his ideals do not agree with your own he's "Anti-American"?! I dare you to tell me ANYTHING about him that makes him "Anti-American." And I mean cold-hard factual evidence, not your own personal opinion or whatever rediculous second-hand gossip your buddies have told you. Facts and nothing more. Please give accredited sources for those facts too.

Honestly, I'm not too hopeful that you or anyone will come up with anyting of merit. No, I'm not a fan of Michael Moore, but I hate to see so many people talking out of their asses about what they know nothing of(besides the second hand gossip of their fellow idiot friends).

P.S.
Since Rollin 24 brought up slander,
Quote:

Yes Michael Moore is a complete and total Anti-American, Anti-military, fat slob of whale blubber mixed with a stupid looking face and a walnut sized brain.
^^^That is slander, even if I agree with a little bit of it

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:52 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Yes Michael Moore is a complete and total Anti-American

No more than, say, Senator McCarthy...or did we forget about that...

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, March 21, 2005 1:51 PM on j-body.org
Bastardking3000- You sound like a Moore fan. Defending a man that has repeatedly said that the war in Iraq is "for nothing". You demand I prove how he is anti-American, yet you cannot deny that he is Anti-US military, which in turn makes him anti-American. Are the soldiers in Iraq not Americans? Were the people of Iraq not brutally oppressed by their dictator? Some even murdered? Michael Moore has devoted his time and money to convince anyone that will watch his propaganda or listen to him speak that any US military action against Iraq is useless and futile. Is freeing millions of people from a dictator that used sarin and mustard gas on his own people useless? I don't think so. This guy goes to colleges to mindwash people into thinking that he knows better than everyone, and everyone should listen to him. We as a country are in the middle of a war on terror, and Michael Moore has and continues to try and derail our efforts by trying to split the country in two. This puts our soldiers at risk and makes us weaker as a country. Not only is this anti-american it is treasonous.

I've told you why he is anti-American, now you tell me why you think he is so pro-American. If you could.

Steve Webb

My other car is an interceptor.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:00 AM on j-body.org
i say anyone that throws liberal or conservative around like insults needs to go back to acadamia...it seems the first 12+ years of education didn't work and they haven't developed the neural pathways for free thought yet.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 6:37 AM on j-body.org
Quote:

Bastardking3000- You sound like a Moore fan. Defending a man that has repeatedly said that the war in Iraq is "for nothing". You demand I prove how he is anti-American, yet you cannot deny that he is Anti-US military, which in turn makes him anti-American. Are the soldiers in Iraq not Americans? Were the people of Iraq not brutally oppressed by their dictator? Some even murdered? Michael Moore has devoted his time and money to convince anyone that will watch his propaganda or listen to him speak that any US military action against Iraq is useless and futile. Is freeing millions of people from a dictator that used sarin and mustard gas on his own people useless? I don't think so. This guy goes to colleges to mindwash people into thinking that he knows better than everyone, and everyone should listen to him. We as a country are in the middle of a war on terror, and Michael Moore has and continues to try and derail our efforts by trying to split the country in two. This puts our soldiers at risk and makes us weaker as a country. Not only is this anti-american it is treasonous.

OMG where to begin...

1. I'm not "defending" him. In separating facts from unfounded opinion. See he is a "fat slob of whale blubber" just as you say. He is also only interested in spreading his ideals through propaganda with little regard to the truth(just like those "swindler boat veterans for baseless mudslinging" for example - and anyone would have to be pretty damm naive to not realize that the Bush Campaign was completely involved in that whole ordeal). However the Anti-American(and anti-military - at least I have never heard anything anti-military) things are not really founded on any factual basis. Just your opinion out of God-knows-where. Yeah he sucks though. He's kinda like the liberal version of "Rush," only maybe without as many painkillers.

2. So I can't deny that he is Anti-American? Yes I can. All you have is that he said that this war is crap(AND IT IS BTW - and I for one am ashamed to admit I once supported this mega-blunder of a war). That is NOT being anti-military. Our brave men and women in arms are NOT fighting for our freedoms in Iraq, they are fighting and dying because it is their SWORN DUTY to do as they are told by their superiors, and down the line you eventually get to commander-in-chief. They are being asked to give everything for Bush's agenda, AND THAT IS JUST PLAIN CRAP. They should not be there. They should not be dying in mass numbers for nothing. This war does not help America in any way(except the funeral industry). It has not and will not make us safer. And once everyone realizes this, it will be to late, because these solders who dies for nothing will not be coming back. These aren't just soldiers - or just a statistic(1524) you read about, they are REAL people with REAL names and REAL families. And they are dying for nothing worthwhile, at least nothing that was really worth their lives... And what of those severely wounded(11344)? Their lives will never be the same. And even many of those who get out without a physical scratch pay a heavy mental toll. I very good friend of mine got back a good while ago, having been shot 3 times, stabbed once, and having been beat on the head with a blunt object. He was one of the guys doing raids and such. Nothings to physically wrong with him, and for that he is really lucky. But to tell you the truth, he signed up to serve before the Iraq war, and he did his duty(He is a hero IMO), but if he ever saw Bush in person, he would (well I won't say what he would do, but its not good), . Oh yes, I'm aware that the soldiers in Iraq are Americans, and I hope for their safety. But do you realize how much safer they would be if they weren't in Iraq?! No, I'm not anti-military, but I do oppose THIS war. I'm not objected at all to fighting for AMERICANS, but I won't fight for Iraq. If I joined up, I would have no idea or choice where I would be stationed. If I could choose Afghanistan for example, I would be much more tempted to serve. But so long as we're in Iraq or any other such foolish cause which does in no way preserve AMERICAN freedom(not Iraqi freedom or any other), I WILL NOT JOIN...

3. There is a war on terror going on, but most of our troops aren't fighting it. Ever heard of a country called Afghanistan? That is mainly where our troops should have been in the first place. Do you really think that if we had put 130k troops into Afghanistan, that Osama would have gotten away?! No, but instead we gave the task mostly to the northern alliance warlords(and I can't help but think that if THEY had caught him, that he could pay THEM off to pretend they never found him). [sarcasm]Great move.[/sarcasm]

4. He is not trying nor succeeding in splitting this country in two. In this department he has only made a little more visible the fact that we are ALREADY splitting at the seems. No, it is Mr. "I am a uniter, not a divider" who has split us. No, America has been split in two LONG, LONG before most people ever heard of Michael Moore. It really started(a little at least) when Bush got elected, and everything he has done has made it worse and worse.

Quote:

This guy [...] to mindwash people into thinking that he knows better than everyone, and everyone should listen to him.
5. By simply taking out a few words, now your describing Bush pretty well. LOL.

Quote:

This puts our soldiers at risk and makes us weaker as a country. Not only is this anti-american it is treasonous.

6. Well just how does not agreeing with the war put our soldiers at risk(I've never heard of a soldier dying from a Fahrenheit 9/11 wound - lol). You can very easily support the soldiers without supporting the war.

So exercising your constitutionally guaranteed freedom of speech is treason?! And YOU are calling Michael Moore "Anti-American"?!!!!!!!! OMG!! Well this quote would be right, if only you where speaking about the Iraq war. I personally feel that Bush is the one who should be tried for treason(not to mention being tried for international violations of law). He is a far bigger threat to our freedoms that Osama ever was or ever could be. Allow me to explain. You see Osama Bin Lauden can only take our lives, Bush can(and does) take away the very freedoms that have really make America great in the first place, the freedoms all truly patriotic people should hold most dear.

Just remember one thing, this Government exist for one purpose, to protect your freedoms against those (assumably external threats) that would try to deprive you of your freedom. The government is intended by our forefathers to exist for you(this is why we seperated from Great Brittan). Somewhere along the lines this got turned around to where we are supposed to exist for our country. This is not what our forefathers intended, if they had, they would never have fought, and died, to separate us from Great Brittan(as we where supposed to have, at that point - exist for Great Brittan which was our country at the time - just as America is now). Our Government is SUPPOSED to protect our freedoms before anything, but then again, priest aren't SUPPOSED to molest alter-boys either. But that shows the world we live in, and why we can't just assume everything is as it should be with those who are to lead us.

There are many fools who opt not to question the actions taken the government and as such this administration, those who feel that security(or a false sense of it as it where) is more important than our freedoms. These fools deserve neither freedom or security. There are those who think freedom is a luxury. Maybe elsewhere in the world. This is America. The moment that our forefathers broke free from tyranny is the moment that freedom became a birth-rite of all Americans. It cannot be traded, even temporarily, or it will be lost forever(or at least until a new revolution - but that will never happen in this day in age). Remember that income tax was also "temporarily needed" for the ww2 crisis. And now what was "temporary" is now permanent, although that crisis spawned its need is long over. And yet fools think that freedoms can temporarily be suspended. If they can be suspended at all, regardless of the reason or circumstance, they are only an illusion. That's like installing a lock on your house, but giving potential burglars a key - to be used in "emergency situations only." Am I the only one who sees this?! WAKE UP!! [/rant]

I'll just say one last thing. I would give my life for freedom, but I will not give my freedom for my life. You tell me which is more dear to you...

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:52 AM on j-body.org
The irony of someone calling someone else Anti-American over their views of the organization designed to fight for such views....

---

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search