Free drugs? - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Free drugs?
Sunday, March 13, 2005 3:12 AM on j-body.org
Free Drugs?

I just want to get your all your views on this. It seems to me like parents telling their kids they dont care if they drink or do drugs as long as its in the home so they dont do anything stupid. I see where they are coming from that people dont need to steal, kill etc for their drugs but there has to be a better way to deal with the situation.

Re: Free drugs?
Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:10 PM on j-body.org
Interesting.

I'm not altogether for the delivery of street level drugs, however, I see the point that it will end the steal and get stoned cycle. It actually has moderate success in the european areas where it was started, and the area in Vancouver where it's being started is particularly abundant with junkies. I can see why it's being done, not that I totally agree with it. I'd rather see methadone clinics there, but then again, I don't know what effect the current ones are having. The CDN gov't is pretty harsh on the harder drugs (I know.. I know.. not on users of softer drugs... suppliers, and producers are actually hit harder, believe it or not). I can't see why they'd consider this if they weren't at the point of having to accept this.

I also heard about a rapid de-toxification clinic (in Mass.) that offered 24-48 hour de-toxing from heroin.. I wonder if the doctor has tried to get license in BC?

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Sunday, March 13, 2005 5:05 PM on j-body.org
I read about this when it was proposed. What they intend to do is get 80 junkies, put 40 on methadone right away and the other 40 will be given heroin in controlled doses, gradfually decreasing over time, then switching to methadone. Any deviation will result in removal from the program.

It is not some "give the junkies what they want" program, it is very controlled.

PAX
Sunday, March 13, 2005 8:54 PM on j-body.org
Good points, it should be interesting to see how this program turns out.
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:34 AM on j-body.org
As I said, this is a programme that's found success in the Netherlands and Germany, however, I don't know about the demographics... the junkie population they're dealing with in Vancouver is mostly Native Indian, and their brains are already pre-disposed to addiction (I've read somewhere, if I'm incorrect, I apologise ahead of time), so whether or not they'll be able to ween them off of heroin (a self-addictive drug to begin with) will remain to be seen.

If I see anything about it in the local police magazines, I'll post what I can.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search