is religion really worth it? - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: is religion really worth it?
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:04 PM on j-body.org
bad _kitty wrote:
Hahahaha wrote:My God made your god, so there!

Always worth every wasted post.. Thanks mang.

Carlin cracks me up, except for his fart fetish, that's just disturbing.

Just a quick question ^^^^^^^^

If your God made Keepers's "God" did we just skip over the last 12 posts in this topic where "your" God is younger than Keeper's "God"??

Sorry you lost me.

My God is eternal and perfect, therefore nothing can pre-exist my God. So no, my God is not younger than Keeper's God. In fact, in order for both Keeper's and my beliefs to co-exist, my God had to have made Keeper's god(s). In all honesty, we go way back and were just having some fun with each other. It's not to be taken too seriously, otherwise we'll never have that micro-brew.

PAX

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:12 PM on j-body.org
But God though of doing evil. Doesn't that mean he's not perfect? Or is there some excuse for him to be able to do whatever he wants?

Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:53 PM on j-body.org
The God of the bible is believed to be perfect. The god of one's mind trying to portray god is not.

Smile, Jesus loves you!!!!! <><
Manchild-ProPain, out now, Sphereofhiphop.com
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:05 PM on j-body.org
Alright, that confused me. The bible is where Moses tells God to "Turn from they fierce wrath, and repent of this evil againsty thy people." Now in my mind your god is far from perfect. He's just another character in a book. And like all fictional characters he is subject to my scrutiny.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:20 AM on j-body.org
Question...

How can my god be older than hahaha's god when i find the idea of a god a fundamental implausibility?

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, March 24, 2005 10:10 AM on j-body.org
I've only read the first page of replies but would like to respond to a few of you briefly.

Blizsham: I have a great hope for you! You use your head and think about things. May you find the truth by seeking and having light poured on your thinking to make it all clear.

Keeper of Light: If you seek, be sure it is sincerely and not with you mind made up before you pray. Peace to you.

Jbody4c: You have been blessed. Keep going for His glory and your peace.

Andazzo: I think we may be on the same page but perhaps I didn't write clearly enough. Indeed you must believe in God, but also accept His command for you. Satan believes but did not accept the command to follow God, and we learn that he is a fallen angel because he refused to follow God. If a murderer sincerely repented in the electric chair and believed and accepted Jesus as his savior, then they are saved by faith. However, if they were spared the chair and lived on they would by the Spirit working in them produce good fruit as it is a manifestation of our faith.

That thing got an ecotec: I also grew up in the church but then came to a point like you where it all started to seem a little goofy. I still don't know all theology and reasons why this and that is done in the church-but am learning about it, but I believe to have the main salvation message down. Make sure you know the theology thoroughly before convincing yourself of something. God didn't die for Himself. He was sinless in Jesus by the Holy Spirit bring about the Virgin birth through Mary. Lastly, if you are trying to get salvation by believing in yourself, what happens when you die. Humans can't even grow taller than they are, control the weather, or stop one from aging and eventually dieing ect... What will you attain by believing in yourself for salvation. It is ok to depend on God to be saved, because we must as He created us. Therefore, denying and going against the fact that we are His creation, leads to denial of His love and that is what hell is for. Help is all around for us to use, I need it daily . Best wishes.
Thursday, March 24, 2005 11:11 AM on j-body.org
I sought with sincerity and came up with nothing--especially since at the time i needed it the most.

I follow (or rather blaze) my own trail now and have more inner peace than i ever did when following monotheism--or any organized religion for that matter.

Take that how you will: Be it true spritual peace with myself, ot that this is the path God wants me to take--i don't care how you see it, as long as i can go on my way unimpeded by the people with the "my god has a bigger d*ck than your god" mentaily.

After all, i have never once told hahaha, andazzo, jb4jc, 4xchamp, you, dirty elf, or any other christian here that they are fundamentally wrong in their beliefs. I've only said that their beielfs are right for them, and wrong for me.

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:12 PM on j-body.org
Amen

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:14 PM on j-body.org
Cool, so I can eat dinner now, right?

Friday, March 25, 2005 8:21 AM on j-body.org
Hey Keeper, when we do go for that beer, can Andazzo come? I like this guy. I think our beliefs are very near identical. I think he understands that God loves all of his children, that no sin is greater or lesser than any other sin, and that judgment is reserved for God, and should not be performed by us. Meaning judgement of character and belief, as we all need to have some level of judgement, otherwise we'd have no idea when to hit the brakes in order to stop at the sign. You know what I mean.

I think we could have hours of really cool conversation.

Now everyone buy a bike and meet me in southern BC (nice an close for Keeper, great hug tour for me, I don't know where Andazzo lives, but hey, it's a spiritual quest. The roads are fantasitic there too

PAX
Friday, March 25, 2005 8:48 AM on j-body.org
Hey, i'm down for that...you'll just have to give me time to get across the border because every time i try to pass, they have to do a rectalscopy on me--despite never finding any reason to demy me entrance to Canada.

Plus, the BC J guys are fun as hell to hang with--Lenko et. all. We should invite Graden as well.

I'm pretty sure Andazzo lives in/near Detroit. But, the more the merrier

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Friday, March 25, 2005 8:55 AM on j-body.org
KOTL:
CBA works closely with the RCMP... AKA RCKY... you're welcome

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Friday, March 25, 2005 9:00 AM on j-body.org
Happy Easter!

Sounds like Hahahaha has a nice party shaping up.

I hear ya keeper. Many have to have their own path and often have spirituality with inner peace without an organized religion. I just know fellowship such as good friends are given to help one another as we often need it. Also, I have found many times I can't tell if I have been helped at the moment I need it, but usually down the road I will see it all come together, and the grace that I needed for each moment was perfectly sufficient. After all, you are safe and still living on from that tough time. Sometimes I know I am being blessed right then and there, other times I think I may have to wait until Heaven before seeing how it all fits together. I have to remember it's His plan, not mine.

Peace to you and your cavys.
Friday, March 25, 2005 9:12 AM on j-body.org
Now you just insulted me...

I don't won a cavy hehehe

Blessed be

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, March 25, 2005 11:35 AM on j-body.org
ehh outside detroit..closer to ann arbor. come over to ontario. i know some good bars where we could "fellowship."

Friday, March 25, 2005 12:40 PM on j-body.org
well, i would like to file a complaint then about profiling...

after all, you can't simply assume that the long, blackhaired man with the goatee, pale skin, and trenchcoat is going to be a criminal! You should be stopping the real criminals--like the ones who haven't returned the Stanley Cup from Tampa yet

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, March 25, 2005 12:46 PM on j-body.org
its safe in detroit along with the nba trophy chillin in bill davidson' house.

Friday, March 25, 2005 8:00 PM on j-body.org
[quote=Keeper of the Light™]well, i would like to file a complaint then about profiling...

after all, you can't simply assume that the long, blackhaired man with the goatee, pale skin, and trenchcoat is going to be a criminal! You should be stopping the real criminals--like the ones who haven't returned the Stanley Cup from Tampa yet

Well, CBA has to do something for fun now that the "let the terr'riss's into the US" idea was revealed.

Friday, March 25, 2005 10:02 PM on j-body.org
they could have just continued sending horrible singers and actors in the country...

Keeanu reeves, William shatner, brian adams....blech!

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Friday, March 25, 2005 11:22 PM on j-body.org
If you don't like them, don't watch the movies... Canada locks up it's actors in mental asylums... when they escape to the US, they're just GIVEN jobs...

and we've apologised for Bryan Adams on numerous occasions previous...

Monday, March 28, 2005 6:21 PM on j-body.org
still, why couldn't you do something useful, like bomb the Baldwins?

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD

Monday, March 28, 2005 11:39 PM on j-body.org
Already in progress... at some point we'll have to overtake the US capital with hockey sticks and beer-grenades in hand, but...

IT'S FOR YOUR DAMNED GOOD!

Monday, March 28, 2005 11:43 PM on j-body.org
Sometimes i get confused about religion because i think about it too much i think. There are so many different kinds and so many different interpritaions of the bible. And there are other holy books other than the bible. It all seems so far fetched to me sometimes thinking that there is one set belief on how we should live our lives. Before we could comprehend nature, we thought there were gods that contolled all those aspects of nature. Then we grew smarter and evolved and found there are no gods but one. That one god is the creator of the universe. Our world. Us human beings. But what does that all mean? I get confused thinking how its possible. How there really is a reality to that. I pray to a god, well becuase im too ignorant to understand how everything works in the universe. Most people are the same way. We give our selves uncontested to the works of religion. Thinking its the almighty way of living. But like what was said before it has caused nothing but hatred in out world. How are these teachings of moral life helping us. I think religion is just a way of life. Like reading the bible makes me think. Could all of this really have happened. Some of it seems so extreme and so elementary somtimes. Is this really what GOD has said or what past people have done. Or is this just a collection of imaginary stories to try to force moral living within us to try and become better people. Obviously many people see it all different ways, thus the difference in our religion. Religon then can be ripped away from us when we think about the size of our Universie and the possibilies out there. Did GOD create the Earth in 7 days? Or was is a passing commit filled with bio-enzimes that started the buidling blocks of life on our world. Its never ending out there. The possibilites of beings just like us is infinte.

Religion is a way of life. Like what was said, a set of morals to live on. Its a culture. Untill we can fully understand what is truley out there, then i think Religion is worth it.

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:04 AM on j-body.org
Greenfire:

I think you're right in a lot of aspects, but I find that religion is more of an opiate to sage and critical thought... "It is because the bible says it is," doesn't suffice for me.

Personally, I've read about several religions, and all I can say is that each has their own idea of how to best live a peaceful life. Even Satanism (boy I'm gonna catch flak on that) preaches peace and harmony (until provocation), albeit, it uses a very poor figure head in my mind. Personally, I'm not advocating one over the other, because I'm not equipped to force my ideals over your own...

All religions that I've read about (specifically: Chrisitanity (both Catholicism and protestantism), Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and some earthen based religions) preach peace at their very core, however, the reason there are so many fractious groups is because of the people that preach the religion and their interpretation on some word or phrase, either real or imagined. It's the ignorant ass-holes that teach the imbecile idiots that are the problem... putting your own slant on things is how sects grow, and ultimately how radicalist and fundamentalist religions grow.. combining hate and ignorance is like combining a match and gasoline. Just my 2 cents, but if you're going to follow a religion, learn about it first (from the outside) and then decide if it's right.

I think the thing to recognise and appreciate is that everyone thinks they have the right answer and everyone is indeed wrong as no one religion can have dominion over the ultimate totality of being and be certain of everything. Again, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:46 AM on j-body.org
Green, in your statement, you made some assumptions that don't sit well with me:

There are so many different kinds and so many different interpritaions of the bible. And there are other holy books other than the bible. It all seems so far fetched to me sometimes thinking that there is one set belief on how we should live our lives.

While I agree on the point you made (There isn't one set belief in how we should live), i think it's needless to restrict religions to biblioreligions. Most of the oldest religions have no "scripture" to them and take their cues based upon the world around them--not ancient writing. As such, the way you wrote this came off like you were limiting religion to ones that have scripture, when in face, religion is a core belief system, and thus doesn't require scripture for validation.

Before we could comprehend nature, we thought there were gods that contolled all those aspects of nature.

You say that as if we comprehend nature now. We don't. If we could have truly comprehended nature--there would be less ado in Sumatra right now.

Then we grew smarter and evolved and found there are no gods but one. That one god is the creator of the universe. Our world. Us human beings.

Did we? Isn't one of the corest arguments in this forum the debate of whether or not God, many Gods, or no God exists? Besdies, i'm still waiting for the "finding" of this God--because the only documentation is found in the Theological, Philisophical and Mythological branches of thought. As such, God, being an intangible, is taken on faith, not De Facto standard.

But what does that all mean? I get confused thinking how its possible. How there really is a reality to that. I pray to a god, well becuase im too ignorant to understand how everything works in the universe. Most people are the same way. We give our selves uncontested to the works of religion. Thinking its the almighty way of living. But like what was said before it has caused nothing but hatred in out world. How are these teachings of moral life helping us. I think religion is just a way of life.

It is just a way of life--which means it's greater than great, but in the long run, it's something so piddly that you have to wonder why people kill each other over the idea. I've argued this point many times--there is no wahy i could believe what anyone else believes because i lack their experience and sensory input--I can't percieve as them because I am not them. Further, how can anyone see how I see--when they lack my sensory input and my experience? Taking that into consideration--it makes the Zealots and the evangelists (not the religion, but those that try to convert other people to their religion) look like power-hungrey idiots--how can they possibly say what's right and what's wrong when they lack everyone else's sensory inputs and experience?

Religon then can be ripped away from us when we think about the size of our Universie and the possibilies out there.

HOW? The only thing that can rip a religion away from is proving that something that was a core belief of sauid religion was proven false beyond a shadow of a doubt. Other than that, as has been proven--the "leaders" of the religion can just make the figures bend to the will of the outcome they want...

2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search